Push me to lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    mikey_gee wrote: »
    I have a very simple regime which "will" help you and it takes an hour per day. I have a son as well so I know what you mean by trying to find the time. Plus I know this works because I have done it twice and lost a lot of weight. What everyone has told you is correct in that you have to monitor your food. Don't go to the extreme of weighing it thou because you will spend to much time being pedantic and this is to intrusive. The my fitness tool has a scanning utility, just scan and make sure you input accurate measurements equal the amount you input and eat.

As for training the specific areas to where you have described the places you would like to lose the weight, try these four exercises. It takes me one hour to complete a full session and this is the equivalent of exercising about 600 calories per day. Note this is a constant 60 minutes. The exercise database option to input is "Aerobics General" 60 mins.

Explanation of the exercises:

1. Knee ups - Stand straight with your legs shoulder width apart & your hands behind your head and crunch your elbow to your opposite knee. Start with 300 lifts and build to 600 lifts.
    2. Upper body twist: Stand straight with your legs shoulder width apart & your arms raised at shoulder level but bent at a 90 angle degree, then twist each arm 180 degrees behind you so you end up looking at the opposite position to the way your facing and return to the forward facing position. Start with 300 twists and build to 600 twists.
    3. Side to sides: Stand straight with your legs shoulder width apart & your arms & hands flat at the sides of your thighs. As you pivot from the left side to the right side raise either arm so your elbow is facing the ceiling. Start with 300 elbow ups & build to 600 elbow ups.
    4. Leg raises up in front of you and out to the side of you: Stand straight with your legs shoulder width apart, raise your knee to your waste, and turn your knee & leg out to the side of your body, as if you were blocking someone kicking you from the way you are facing.

Now as everyone tells you need to eat less calories and burn more then you eat - Myfitnesspal doesn't reflect the average amount you burn on a daily basis without exercising i.e. mine is 1850 per day, so you need to understand what this is as an average, this will help you understand if you eat more than you burn without exercise. You can get this by inputting your weight and data into a tool on the internet.

The myfitnesspay app does try to include this "mean" when it gives you an estimate weight for the future. Although don't believe in this estimate, because you will have slow down periods of not losing weight as quickly as you would like, its then when you need to do more exercise and step up your game.

You need to motivate yourself, and find the time to fit in your exercise, if this means getting up before everyone else and doing then, then do it. Listen to motivational music that inspires you. For me music doesn't do it I need someone to be telling me to stick to the rules, and don't let anyone tell me I can't do it, not much music can provide this kind of motivation. So try listening to motivational speeches with music, from real people who have gone through the pain and come out on the other side as a success. Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq4etk-K4SM

Advice, stay away from the running until you have lost sufficient weight to not increase the chances of damaging your joints, running is a quick way of burning calories fast, but until you lose enough weight for your body and joints to cope with the harshening gravity conditions of your body pounding against the concrete, stay clear. Fast walking for a longer period is better for you. (But this is were its difficult because you have to train longer to get the same result, and time is not on your side when you have kids. If you can do so, cycle but again you dont burn calories as quickly but its good for your joints. Find a balance of cardio and areobics once you have reached a desired and sustainable weight, so you can take your game to the next level of burning harder and faster in a shorter time.

If your desire is to lose weight quickly, and you like your food, this is where volume of specific foods with low calories will make you feel full, so instead of eating that 150g yoghurt that is 180 calories, you can eat some low calorie yoghurt's to the same amount of volume of food but it contains less calories. This is how you win initially. Now don't get use to this idea, because long term I recommend trying to manage on more nature sources of food and equal volume with the higher amount of calories, because most of the lower calorie foods contain sweeteners and all other kinds of rubbish and this isn't good long term.

Drink at least 2.5 litres of water per day.
    Stay away from nuts, because they contain to many calories, even thou they are healthy.
    Don't drink any fizzy drinks, drink tea, coffee, or water, or when you really need it a homemade OJ.
    Eat Tuna -
    Crackerbread Ryvita's
    Ham
    Salads

and to many more to name......

I hope this long review helps you and you use it because believe you me, if you can add some of this to your daily routine, you will be flying!!

Good Luck
    Michael

PS: I have been using the myfitnesspal app since its introduction but I never shared any of my tips, or bothered to write posts, as you can see this is my first post, but don't let what I have mentioned sway you because I have been training for years and I now have an acceptable physic that I am happy with. Oh one other thing, weight fluctuates like crazy because of fluid. The body is made up of mostly water, so before and after training weigh ins, can show completely different measurement. Weigh yourself regularly but don't get obsessed with it, use your regular weigh ins to help you be influenced and motivated to continue on your journey. Right down all of your measurements and track them ever 2 weeks only.

2 other things I recommend you monitor, your visceral fat levels and your fat %, these are just as important to reduce as you take on the journey of losing weight. These 3 tools will also help you with losing weight more quickly and allow you to monitor your weight more effectively.

Sweat Suit
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012RT8SA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Everlast Belt
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001NCDC4K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s04

Scales
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0033AGBVG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Cheers
    Michael

Sweat suit and everlast belt? You've been on MFP this long and you actually think these work? No.

Also:

ES5owO7.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Just in case anyone is wondering, this is the sweat suit the above poster is talking about.

1WUjEoj.jpg

It is described as a slimmer sauna suit.
  • mikey_gee
    mikey_gee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Course they do and your negative response by criticising other my experiences and successes from the tools I have have used, really goes to show what kind of person you are. All I have done is offered some inspirational ideas based upon my experiences and the things that worked for me, now if you don't believe they work, I respect your opinion, but do me favour, don't be critical on this community blog, especially to someone who needs a help in hand to get them going.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    First of all , motivation has to come from within. So if you really want to lose weight, you'll do it.
    Secondly please don'tI listen to this moronic sauna suit stuff. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Course they do and your negative response by criticising other my experiences and successes from the tools I have have used, really goes to show what kind of person you are. All I have done is offered some inspirational ideas based upon my experiences and the things that worked for me, now if you don't believe they work, I respect your opinion, but do me favour, don't be critical on this community blog, especially to someone who needs a help in hand to get them going.

Your post is completely complicated. I would be bored as heck with that workout routine - sounds like an easy way to get burnt out. Also there is no reason to avoid nuts or fizzy drinks/teas, and you don't have to drink that much water. Too many "rules" for someone new to this when all they have to do is eat less and move more, and lift heavy stuff.

I'll refrain from doing 600 reps of anything, thanks. And no, the sweat suit and belt will NOT make you lose weight any faster.
  • mikey_gee
    Options
    Ok if you really dont think its important to drink water, then ask any physician, drinking water is key to any diet and the recommend values of water consumption for any human per day is 2l. I accept if you cant be bother to read my input, I was only trying to help and offer some guidance. Everybody has a choice to use it or not, but thanks for responding.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Ok if you really dont think its important to drink water, then ask any physician, drinking water is key to any diet and the recommend values of water consumption for any human per day is 2l. I accept if you cant be bother to read my input, I was only trying to help and offer some guidance. Everybody has a choice to use it or not, but thanks for responding.

fivethirtyeight.com/features/you-dont-need-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I actually did read it. But yeah, it was long.

And it is important to stay hydrated, but you get water from all liquids (except alcohol) and also from the food you eat. You don't have to make yourself drink some arbitrary minimum amount of water. Just judge your hydration by the color of your pee. If you're thirsty, have a drink. Tea and even (gasp!) soda is hydrating. If you don't want to drink your calories, drink unsweetened tea or diet soda. Your body gets the water that it needs and digests the other stuff just fine.

Someone just starting out should try and keep it simple, and seriously, that workout routine that you posted just doesn't cut it for most people. Sure, you may enjoy it, but it doesn't seem enjoyable for most. It's hard to stick to an exercise program if you hate what you're doing for exercise.

Congrats on the weight that you've lost, but your post definitely did not contain all the answers. There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on these forums - stick around for a while longer and you might learn something! :smile:
  • mikey_gee
    Options
    Thanks for you response and I agree with the pee pee colour, concept. I read the previous persons post on the link and one thing I took from it was this annotation. To me, this is key for most of us and we all want to live longer and more prosperous lives and if water is a possible contributing factor to achieving that, then that good advice for me. I eat an average of 2500 calories per day and I burn 1200 per day, so for me the water is vital to my nutrient and like it says, its 0 calories. I don't imply drinking 8 glasses as the last post suggest, just 3-5 glasses of 500ml.

"But some studies do find effects. Most notable is a study of 20,000 Seventh-Day Adventists, who were followed for six years to look for impact of fluid intake on mortality. The researchers found that drinking more water lowered the risk of dying. For women, the risk was lowered by having three or more cups per day, versus fewer than three. For men, three to four cups was much better than fewer than three, and five or more cups was a bit better than that. And at least one study has found that more than six cups of water a day lowers bladder cancer risk relative to less than one cup."

Cheers
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,573 Member
    Options
    I need people telling me I can do this and not to give up. To not let me skip a day or snack on sweets! I have a one and 1/2 year old daughter and I want to be healthy and live long to see her grow up and have a family of her own!

There's your motivation right there! Just weigh everything on a food scale that you eat and then reduce calories where needed. Be an example for your daughter and be a mom who knows how much to eat. A snack or sweet every now and then is no problem unless you're diabetic. Just count the calories of those as well and make them fit into your daily allowance.
  • Fariskc
    Fariskc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!! I just started on Nutrisystem on Monday, I'm very excited, this is my Fast 5 week. Is there a group on this app just for NS people?
  • wandafit4life
    wandafit4life Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Started May 1, 2015! Loving it so far! Is there a way to hook up my mfp diary for NS?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I need people telling me I can do this and not to give up. To not let me skip a day or snack on sweets! I have a one and 1/2 year old daughter and I want to be healthy and live long to see her grow up and have a family of her own!

Well I will! Add me! We can do this! I started at 240! Now im down to 219 and my tummy is flatter and other areas are looking much better. I will help you! Everyone needs a kick my butt partner:)
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want, I lost 20 kgs and I feel so good now. Happy to help in any way possible! Might be motivating to have some friends who did it, so you can see how much they work out, how they eat etc :) Happy to be friends!