I work nights...when do I eat?!

Options
Hi I'm trying to figure out a regular nutrition routine for myself because I work nights. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to eat "breakfast" or my first meal and so on. I work 10p-6a I sleep 7a-12p I workout 12:30-2:30 and I sometimes get a nap in before work 7p-9p.

As far as what I'm eating I make healthier choices and I proportion anything "bad" but essentially eat what I want. I cook all my food and hardly eat out except for special occasions. I drink 2 meal replacement protein shakes in between my main meals of breakfast and dinner and I drink a detox tea in the morning.

I've been maintaining my weight for about a month but with all the exercise I do I would think I should be losing weight by now. I've tracked what I eat with an app to count calories and I'm always meeting my goals by a hundred or so I feel I should be losing weight. I weight lift regularly and incorporate cardio. I've hired a personal trainer but it's been a month and still no change on the scale. But I have to admit I have gotten a lot stronger and my legs are very firm and toned.

Is there anyone who can help???

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    When you're hungry. Just make sure not to exceed your TDEE or you'll gain weight. Eat 500 calories under your TDEE for an approximate 1lb loss a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    You can eat at what ever time you wish, that has no bearing on weight loss. If you just started exercising and lowering calories a month ago it is plausible that you're retaining water that is masking any fat you've burned when you step on the scale. You also cannot out-exercise a bad diet, so if you are not weighing the foods you eat it is also possible you're eating more than you think you are. Unfortunately, just because something is healthier doesn't necessarily mean it has lower calories. However, this means you don't have to eat meal replacements unless you want to. You can eat what ever you want (within any medical caveats) and as long as it fits your calorie goals you're good. You do not need detox tea.
  • karinagonzalez2010
    karinagonzalez2010 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If you're not losing weight then you're not in a deficit.

What's your TDEE?
    How many calories are you eating?
    Do you weigh and measure all your food and drinks?

My goal says 1730 and I usually stay under that. I don't measure everything I just eye ball everything and eat a serving size. (1cup cereal instead of an entire bowl like I would before)
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options

What's your TDEE?

My goal says 1730 and I usually stay under that. I don't measure everything I just eye ball everything and eat a serving size. (1cup cereal instead of an entire bowl like I would before)

You should buy a scale and start weighing all your food. A cup of cereal is nothing like the amount it weighs for a portion.

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I worked nights for awhile. It's rough, everyone on shift gained weight over time. Also doesn't help where I was working if you needed to buy food the only thing open was 24 hours donut places and 711 convenience stores.

The struggle is that feeling of tired and fighting not to eat to feel awake. Set a schedule to eat, and premake and package your work food - ensuring to measure/weigh your food. Not weighing your food is a common error and you'll be surprise how much error you are probably making.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I Work nights. I work 9pm-6am though amd only sleep from 6:15am-730am and then a nap with my 2yo around 1-3. But...i eat breakfast at 11am, dinner around 5:30pm and then bring snacks for my shift so I eat about 150-200 calories every 2 hours over the course of the night. I eat my last snack at 430 or 5 am.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

What's your TDEE?

Then you are eating more than you think you are.

Yep. Weighing your food is the most accurate way to do it. Also I agree that working nights is hard but not impossible to lose weight while doing so. I maybe slower than other people that work a normal day job but I still am doing so.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    ummmmm........you work nights so you should only eat at night time or you will die. In fact you should be on an all liquid diet. If you even go outside your skin will burn and you could die as well. And make sure to avoid Garlic and anything metal and pointy near your heart.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm trying to figure out a regular nutrition routine for myself because I work nights. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to eat "breakfast" or my first meal and so on. I work 10p-6a I sleep 7a-12p I workout 12:30-2:30 and I sometimes get a nap in before work 7p-9p.

Is there anyone who can help???

I think you need to sleep a bit more! I sleep 8a-3p. Less than that and my body does funny things like retain water and such. I never eat after about 3 am. Our "breakfast" usually happens when I get up. I prefer my workouts before coming in at 10 pm.

• djk2258
    djk2258 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    An easy and simple method that will work anytime of day or night is: eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up to get your metabolism going and then eat on a 2-2.5 hour basis all day. 2-2.5 hours after breakfast have a snack, after that lunch, next is another snack, then dinner, and usually something low calorie/low fat as a snack if you need it after dinner. My "go to" was low fat string cheese or a greek yogurt. Stop eating 2-3 hours before bed. I actually lost a ton of weight while eating on this schedule. Unfortunately I ended up getting really sick and eventually put all of the weight and then some on. Now i'm trying to reincorporate this schedule again myself. Keep in mind the portions are all smaller because you are eating so often. As for napping, same goes. Stop eating 2 hours before you plan on napping. Cut out a snack if you don't need it. When you wake up, eat something within 30 minutes. The whole 2 hour method was explained to me in terms of a fire, and it really made sense. Fire=metabolism. To build a fire you have to start out small and slowly feed it to get it going. Our metabolism works the same way. It sounds stupid, but holds some truth. I'm no expert but I can say that when I stuck to this plan and made healthy choices (including measuring portions) the weight came off pretty easily. Good luck!