Any tips for me?

Options
I'd like to see what you make of my routine.

I walk about 5 miles a week spread over 3 or 4 days
I run every other day for about a mile
I bicycle 6+ miles a week spread over two or three days
I do some light yoga and stretching every day

I am currently a 5'7, 161.5 pound, 16 year old Female trying to loose 1.5-2 pounds a week.

I usually eat 2 250-300 calorie meals and a 4-600 calorie supper with 2 or thee 50-150 calorie snacks.

Is there anything I should change or work on to make this better?

Any help is great! Thank you!

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I thought mfp was for 18 years and up?
  • ReynaDay01
    ReynaDay01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I thought mfp was for 18 years and up?
    I think it is, but it has helped me loose near 10 pounds already and it is great for me.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    could always aim to increase distance or intensity if you find it getting easier but it sounds good on paper. The diet is what's really important though so stay on top of that the most.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

It's spelled "lose".

Aim for 1 lb. per week. You want a slight calorie deficit, not an extreme one, because your body is still growing and needs enough fuel to grow. Try to have healthy, balanced meals with enough protein, not just low calories.

Your exercise routine is fine. Are there any sports you can get into?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Agree with Cherimoose, don't try to lose too quickly at your age.

As for your exercise / activity level, let's put this in context: Walking a mile on any given day burns about 100 calories. A 6 mile ride at a leisurely pace **all 6 miles in one day** doesn't burn that many calories. If I ride 12 miles at a decent clip I just start considering that a workout.

You don't need to burn a lot of calories if you are very carefully counting your calories in, but if you expect your exercise to give you a margin of safety, you would need to up your activity level.

Are you hoping to improve fitness as well? If so you might consider upping your running time or increasing your cycling effort and distance.

My thought about your activity pattern is that you probably are not doing any of the activities long enough in a given session to reap maximum benefit. You'll see more marked and rapid change in your fitness if you extend your running and riding to at least 30-40 minutes in a session. That means 3-4 miles or more running depending on your pace. It's ok to run slow.