I'm new here

Options
hi everyone, looking for friends to help keep me motivated. Also looking for tips on how to jumpstart weight loss as I have been running for a month now and have gained 3 pounds instead of losing. Feel free to add me as a friend, I can use the support.

Replies

• MichelleGriffis29
    MichelleGriffis29 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also run and I was wondering do you do any weight lifting? I ran last year was up to 5-8 miles a day and I also lifted weights in 3 mo I never lost a pound. I are less than 1400 calories a day. The trainer at my gym came over to me once and he said my calories were to low for the work I was doing. So next question are you eating enough calories?
  • jessjacknickliam
    jessjacknickliam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks Michelle. Maybe I am not eating enough calories, I did some kind of calculator, and it said that I should be taking in about 1800 calories a day. I cut that down to 1200, and I am running about 2 miles a day six days a week. I don't do any weightlifting although I am going to start trying to do some kind of weight bearing exercises. I am guessing I must need to bump it up to maybe 1300 or 1400?

This used to not be any issue for me, but the older I get the harder I am finding it is to lose the weight. Good times.

• leannefisher_23
    leannefisher_23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I am also in the same boat. I just starting running as well and it seems like it's doing nothing for me other than injuring my knees lol! Would love to know if weight lifting is the key? Would love any information you might have to help
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    IMO running is for if you like to run. Walking uphill (treadmill is fine) is best for losing weight. It's an aerobic vs. anaerobic kinda thing. I think when you're running your body kind of panics and holds on to all it can because it doesn't know when you're going to stop and doesn't want to run out of fuel before you can get away from that bear! :)

There's also the stuff that Leanne pointed out. If it's hurting you then stop. If you hurt yourself to the point you can't easily walk then you're going to lose even more ground. Also check into better shoes. I was amazed to find out how big of an impact the right shoes make, even for just walking around. For instance if I know I'm going to be walking a lot (the mall, 6 flags, etc.) then I strap on the tennis shoes. Expect to pay ~$100 for them unless you get a REALLY good deal.

Oh one more thing. Muscle weight doesn't build nearly as fast as we would like but it's *possible* that's some of what you're encountering Jess.
  • jessjacknickliam
    jessjacknickliam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much....the shoe part is right on!!! My knees were killing me, especially my left knee, until I got new shoes. No problems since.