Veggies

Options
BlueJays11
BlueJays11 Posts: 24 Member
I am stuck in a rut of the same veggies all the time...broccoli and carrots. Any suggestions on something new or a different way to prepare veggies to make them a bit more exciting?
Thanks!

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Saute some leaf baby spinach in olive oil, season a bit, and serve with a meat of your choice (I like it with salmon). Super easy.

Additionally, I like to chop a few onions, red bell peppers and some mushrooms, cook them in some butter and make a nice egg scrambler in the morning.
  • Mcd9006
    Mcd9006 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I put 10 asparagus in a small skillet, topped with a cup of fresh spinach, add a tiny bit of water to the pan, then crack an egg on top, season, put on a lid and turn the heat down to medium, cook til egg done 4-5 minutes. Yum. I also love to bake sweet potatoes, then when I am cooking salmon or steak, I slice the potato and throw it in the skilled to brown it some. I also like to add halved or shredded brussel sprouts.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Mustard greens cooked with shiitake mushrooms, shallots, and minced garlic which a pinch of pink Himalayan salt.
  • vividii
    vividii Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with veggies also. But a sweet potato topped with salsa and lettuce is pretty good ; a haas avocado filled with tuna ; Sauteed spinach in scrambled egg whites. Kale, apple, yogurt smoothie.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Here are two of my favorites:
    Sliced mushrooms sautéed in a bit of cooking spray, a touch of olive oil and with salt...I love them piled high over a turkey burger!

Brussell sprouts cute in half, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted on a sheet pan in the oven until they start to brown...the leaves that fall off on their own are like chips in the best way!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Guacamole eaten with bell peppers and carrots raw instead of chips

Roasted anything, but especially Brussel sprouts with olive oil and some salt and pepper

Portobello mushrooms stuffed with beans, spinach, some spices (I love chipotle powder) and a little Parmesan and possibly topped with lemon avocado sauce

Bell peppers stuffed with spiced lentils

Chili or other soups

Chop peppers or mushrooms and add to pasta dishes (it's nice if you sautée a bit first, but good no matter what)

Caprese salad

Tomato cucumber salad

Cucumber on its own or with a little salt and pepper

Zucchini sautéed or roasted

Celery and peanut butter

If you just add a little veggies to things you normally eat, pretty soon you'll be eating a ton! I tend to prepare my veggies in a very simple way.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I like roasting my veggies with some olive oil and then putting parmesan cheese on them.
    Fresh green beans are really good this way. Just put them in the oven at 400 and drizzle 1-2tsp of olive oil on them with some spices (I use garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper) and bake about 10 min, stir around, and bake another 5-10 min. They will be slightly browned. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top and they're good to go.
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli, but I know what you mean. Gotta change it up sometimes. For other greens, I love green beans, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, and kale. Steam or sautee in olive oil and season (granted, sautee Brussel Sprouts takes a bit longer so I sometimes prefer to bake them in my toaster oven, too). For non-greens, I love tomatoes, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower, and onions. Those sauteed are delicious, too!
  • neens666
    neens666 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i saute button mushrooms, fresh asparagus, courgette and a bit of red onion all cut into largish bite size pieces, season with salt and pepper. very yummy with a small baked potato with sour cream, chives and crispy cooked bacon bits, and a nice piece of steak. :-)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like fresh veggies grilled or broiled because of flavor and texture. If you want to keep things easy, buy something like a Foreman Grill or panini press :)
  • brockbennett1981
    brockbennett1981 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I juice my vegs, i hate the taste but i can drink them pretty easy
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    - Roasted Brussels sprouts, toss in olive oil, salt, pepper & garlic powder, roast in oven 375 for 20+ minutes. I sometimes like to toss in balsamic vinegar after they are out of the oven too.
    - Grilled eggplant, slice eggplant into thick "steaks", same seasonings as above, place on preheated grill & grill about 5 minutes per side.
    - Sauted zucchini, slice yellow & green zucchini in half long ways, slice into half moons, heat olive oil in pan, saute over medium high heat with same seasonings and some halved cherry tomatoes and diced yellow onion for about 8-10 minutes until starting to soften and brown.
    - Asparagus, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper & garlic powder. Saute over medium high heat 8-10 minutes, than squeeze in juice of half a lemon, cover with lid and let steam an additional minute or two.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Seasoning is key for the same-old-veggies rut. I cook my broccoli with Italian herbs. Sometimes I have them as a curry (coconut milk + spices galore). Sometimes I have them with just butter and rosemary. Sometimes I cook them with garlic and onion.