Rowing machine beginner questions

Options
sumcallm3tim
sumcallm3tim Posts: 3 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I just got a Velocity exercise magnetic rower.
It has "pre progrmed" workouts that change resistance in various ways throughout your workout.

When I ask google for suggestions on rowing workouts I can't find anything about variable resistance. Only distance and spm.

I'm an ectomorph with a bit of a "spare tire". I'm looking to burn a little of that tire off, and maybe add a little definition here and there. Overall I'm just trying to look "healthy".

My question is... Are the pre programmed workouts useful? And is a rower a good machine? I was looking for a "one stop shop" we're I can get on one machine and work a lot of major muscle groups.

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Rowing is a great non-impact full body exercise. Of course, it won't work all muscle groups evenly, but it is good for overall aerobic health and burning some calories.
  • ImVeryAngryItsNotButter
    Options
    Rowing, specifically bent over rows, are probably my favorite exercise I hit on chest and back day. It's superb for building lean muscle mass. I would say commit to full intensity and good form on any of those pre-programmed workouts and you'll certainly feel it and see good results.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use a Concept2. Never used a magnetic rower, so no advice there.

In general, a rowing machine is awesome. I'm biased though, I put in between 40-60km a week. I just did 9.5km today and 11km yesterday. It has cut inches off of my body, forced me to work on my lower back and core strength, burns calories like an incinerator.

If you are doing it right, rowing is mainly in the legs, but pretty much all major muscle groups are involved to some extent. My forearms, erector spinae, and hip flexors hated life for awhile when I first started. The erector spinae exhaustion was why I had to start doing core/lower back floor exercises on the regular. It has improved a lot since then, so now I can row 45 minutes before it starts to tire.

I have never used a pre-programmed workout besides those for distance. I use the 'Just Row' setting and go as far as my body can and I have time for. I do a lot of interval training. You can program intervals, but I'm often too lazy. I generally have a distance goal for the day/week in mind. Doesn't matter how I get there, just that I do.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The rower is an excellent machine for cardiovascular health training. Low impact and works many muscles (mostly along the posterior chain). I’ve only used the concept2, so not familiar with yours, but should work similar.

Initially, I’d set it at an easy pull. Just get into a rhythm of legs, torso, arms (really pulling with the back when you bring your arms to your upper chest) then go back in the opposite way. You want to get good hard, and long pulls. It takes practice, but once you get good form, you’ll be flying on it.

After you get comfortable with steady-state rowing for speed and/or distance (250 - 300 meter sprints or 2000 - 5000 longer rows), you might want to mix it up with some of the programs. But there is enough variety in just mixing up speed, distance, and/or tension yourself that you might never need a program.

Enjoy!
  • sumcallm3tim
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. That helps a lot. I probably should not over think it and get on the thing and row.

I think the first thing I"ll have to do is change distance to Kilometer instead of miles :wink:

My SPM seem to be between 26-30. Should I be higher? Lower?
  • aam117
    aam117 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Regarding spm, do what is comfortable for you, at least in the beginning until you get comfortable with the mechanics of the stroke. I too have only used the Concept2, but the stroke should be the same regardless. Concept2 has a lot of great resources on their website for newbies and I highly recommend checking them out.
    Personally, I have always trended lower on my spm than most of my teammates and have to really work at keeping a consistent rate when I attempt to increase it significantly. Since I'm not competing, I am good with my lower spm these days
  • sumcallm3tim
    Options
    Welp... I focused on form... And HOLY SH$T what a difference.

An annoying thing I found was my rower does km and then at some point changes to miles. So... From what I understand everyone saying.... I should row based on distance not time? I think if I give it a distance to count down from it will stay on km the entire time... I hope...

ANNNNYWAYYY.... Thank you all for your help. Got a great freakin workout this morning. I may up the resistance a couple days a week and see if it gives me more of a "strength" workout. Who knows... I'll just experiment.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I started out in the 30 - 35 range, but that was too fast and I would gas out. Now (and because I’m a strong man), I do a big pull (breathing out), take a full breath in and out in the extended position (letting the wheel spin), then going back in for another pull (breathing in). I’m at around 18 - 20, but getting two to three times the distance/calories with each pull. The slower rate, harder pull is easier to maintain for a longer period of time.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I am very new to rowing with only a few weeks under my belt on a Waterrower. My fav is an incremental build up. 2 min @ 18, 2 @ 21 and so on. Up to 30 now. Then I back down in the same increments and ultimately hit a sweet spot around 25 where I can go for as long as I want. Focusing on form a lot still. Kills my forearms but what a burn!