Weight Gain - Limited Diet

I was recently diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophigitis at age 35 after probably a lifetime of being misdiagnosed with either acid reflux, GERD, and anxiety disorder. I am 5'5" and weigh about 114 which fluctuates between 110-115. Due to years of not knowing what was wrong with me, I had a really difficult time gaining/keeping weight on. I used to get really sick after eating, sometimes not being able to eat for a full day afterwards.

Now that I've been on a limited diet that has been helping to prevent me from getting sick, I'm still having trouble putting weight on. Ideally, I would like to be at least 120. I've been tracking calories, and making sure I have the correct nutrition, but it's been tough even getting a full 2000 calorie daily diet. I can't have soy, dairy, eggs, wheat, peanuts, or fish. Soy, dairy and wheat affect me the worst though, so every once in a while I'll still have fish or eggs with no issues.

Has anyone had this kind of issue? I guess I'm looking for any kind of advice as this is all very new to me. I spend a lot of time reading labels now, and it seems like there is soy in everything out there. Very frustrating.

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Goodness that does not sound fun!

I don't have this issue, but if I were you I'd try to find more calorie-dense foods that fit into your limited diet. Add coconut oil to smoothies, down an avocado, and eat more potatoes.
  • struckanerve88
    struckanerve88 Posts: 1 Member
    I have a similar problem. I have GERD and IBS that are worsened by stress and my anxiety. So I'd go through periods of time where I was very stressed and I'd just drop 10 lbs (over the period of about a year). I'm 5'4" and usually sit around 100 lbs. Due to my GERD and IBS my diet is limited (especially when I'm stressed out, some days I could only eat cheerios or crackers or plain rice) and I'm also lactose intolerant. What I find really helpful is trying to re create my own version of my favorite foods I used to eat without all the things that either trigger my GERD or my IBS. I'd start pretty basic and then each week try a new food (even if it is for a day). Rice and beans was a staple for me for a while as well as plain chicken and rice. I just always try to make sure I have frequent snacks (that are things I can eat) and just work on finding varied foods that I can eat and focus on that as well as getting some exercise in. I'm now back up to my normal weight but it did take me a while. I understand you have more restrictions than I did, but I hope this helps, it isn't the easiest thing to gain weight or even maintain when there are so many things you can't eat without feeling awful.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    edited May 2015
    My baby niece is actually allergic to soy, dairy, eggs, wheat, peanuts, and shellfish. Among other things too- poor munchkin. I'm allergic to wheat, lactose intolerant, onion intolerant, and possibly have fructose malabsorption. Only a few years ago, due to gall stones I also had to go egg free, dairy free, oil free, red meat free, and nut free. You're so not alone- specialness happens. My two cents- it's okay to cry and when it gets too much just take a big, deep breath. You can get through this.

Some of my first information came from pages like: eatingwell.com. There is a lot out there, just google. Some of my favourite recipes are from Lexie's Kitchen lexieskitchen.com/recipe-box/, helpful ones for my niece have been: http://naturalandfree.blogspot.com.au and http://realfoodallergyfree.com/

I will say that when that just by looking at your list - when in doubt of the food go for things that say gluten free vegan. I've learned that if it's not ticked gluten free, it still could have wheat in it and I can still get very sick. When I had to go without eggs I found out that it's in a ridiculous amount of things from dijon mustard to gf bread. Again, look for that tick to say vegan if you're have trouble with egg even as emulsifiers. Also be careful of soy free cheeses, I've seen some that still have casein in it, diary protein so if it's the protein itself, look for that vegan tick on your cheese. I'm not saying all your recipes need to be this way, but it will make it easier to shop if you look for those two ticks.

Now as far as gaining weight, I may not be as helpful as others since I've always been obese.
    • But there are protein powders out there that are vegan, nut free, and gluten free (like mine). Since I'm in Australia, that's probably not much help to you, but if you're having issue with getting your protein macro ask your local health food store for guidance. Besides that chicken is amazing. I love it.
    • Fats- coconut milk is seriously amazing. I use it to make my own ice cream and it's just my favourite thing ever. Since you're in the states, look for Earth Balance- I'm not sure if it's soy free but seriously it's the best vegan butter out there for baking. Otherwise, just go for straight oils. Most of the time they work just as well. Avocados are also just lovely and you can do so many things with them.
    • For carbs, ignore barley, oats and rye unless they're labeled "wheat free". That leaves potatoes, rice (white, black, red, wild; long, short, jasmine, etc.), pumpkins, squash, etc. I eat a low carb paleo-esque diet so I limit most of them, but squash, rice, and wheat free oats are my big carbs.

And in a reversal, because I gained a lot of weight drinking calories, I really suggest you look into various smoothie recipes. It's much easier getting the calories you need in what feels like less when you drink it. If that makes sense. Coconut milk/ rice milk/almond milk (homemade?)/ juice mixed with avocado, nut/seed butters you can eat (almond butter or maybe tahini paste), veggies, and fruit. It's simple, variable and tasty. If you want you can also get a df, gf, cocoa powder. I love adding some to my smoothies.

Also be careful of alcohol dear. Look for gluten free ciders, wines, etc. Potato vodka only, no whiskey, no gin. Some say they're okay because they're so distilled but I'm too sensitive to wheat to want to chance it.
  • chibicricket
    chibicricket Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks! That's a lot of good advice!

I have been looking at a lot of vegan food, and things that say gluten free. For the most part, it has helped, but a lot of the labels still have soy. I almost cried at the grocery store because I was worried I wouldn't be able to eat anything! :/ I was happy when I found coconut milk ice cream though. It's surprisingly really good!

The anxiety is there. I worry about what I'll do if I go to restaurants with family or friends. I'm from a big Italian family, and even going back home for the holidays seems awful. I'm hoping that by then I'll have my flares up in check so I can maybe cheat just a little on the diet for one day. But unfortunately right now, if I even accidentally have a little bit of a food I can't have, I'm sick for a few days.

But thanks for the help, I'll look into all your suggestions!
  • timtations222
    timtations222 Posts: 9 Member
    I have GERD as well but honestly I don't care. I shouldn't eat or drink most of what I eat but I am not giving up stuff that helps get me calories fast.
  • Spheee
    Spheee Posts: 23 Member
    Check out the AIP diet (autoimmune protocol). The best groups are on facebook, such as "AIP Support." There are also blogs. Even if you don't do the diet itself you might like it as a recipe and nutrition information source. In AIP, everything you can't eat is disallowed, except for the seafood. There are also lots of people doing AIP that want to gain weight.

In addition to that, I really recommend seeing a good ND or similar natural health practitioner. Do you have hypochlorhydria?
  • chibicricket
    chibicricket Posts: 5 Member
    I will look into that too. I had to look up hypochlorhydria up, I think I have the opposite of that. I'm on two separate medications currently, one for too much stomach acid and another is a steroid/cortisone that I take as a precaution to the allergies. When I found out I had EoE, my esophagus was pretty scared and I've already had to go in twice to have the scar tissue removed. I don't have the type of allergic reactions to most foods like I thought I would. It's delayed a little and is almost like food poisoning, except my throat feels like I have something stuck in it. Avocados and some seafood makes me break out in hives though.

I think GERD is something different because if I could eat the food I'm allergic to to fatten up a little, I would. But unfortunately, it causes me a lot of pain, and I usually end up vomiting anyway. I've been sort of successfully avoiding the foods that give me reactions, and managed to gain back what I lost after my second surgery just by eating a lot of coconut milk ice cream but I don't want to keep relying on only that.