sources of protein

Options
So recently I have been getting back into watching my diet and I need some good suggestions for portein. I am having a hard time getting my percentages up for it. Also I am lactose intolerant and I dont eat red meat (I just dont prefer the taste). Any suggestions or helpful links would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• GeorgiaCartner
    GeorgiaCartner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same trouble. I have high cholesterol and am struggling to find good sources of protein wit out the fat.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've found lots of sources - it depends on your tastes. One thing I think is important is to vary your sources of protein. Because I am such a busy person, convenience is very important to me. Here are some of my go-to proteins, though:

- Egg whites - Every morning for breakfast I scramble 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg, and a big ol' handful of spinach together. The egg whites have lots and lots of protein. The one yolk adds fat and cholesterol, but also adds flavor - I don't really like JUST egg whites. The spinach adds lots of vitamin A.

- Protein shakes and powders - Many of these say "do not use for weight loss", because they tend to have lots of carbs and lots of calories. If you specifically look for sugar-free, or ones that have low carbs, and if you limit your intake (I sometimes eat only half a serving), these can really add lots of protein without adding fat or carbs. I don't eat these every day, but when I haven't had enough protein in a day, these will do the trick.

- Tuna (in water) - I keep a few cans in my desk at work. Just eat it out of the can, with a fork. It is a great snack, and has lots and lots of protein.

- Fish Filets - I have been eating lots of tilapia lately, grilled with just a little bit of olive oil. Lots of protein.

- Fried pork skin - Okay, this is not necessarily health food. But if you can eat it in moderation (meaning just a few pieces), it does have a lot more protein than, say, a potato chip!

- PB2 - This is a product I found at Target, and it is pretty tasty. Basically, it's powdered peanut butter. Mix it with water, and you get peanut butter without the oil. Fewer calories and much less fat than peanut butter.

I hope this helps. I am looking forward to see what others can add to this list, because I am always searching for more tasty and convenient protein sources.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Seafood :+1:
  • AshleyRoseVii
    AshleyRoseVii Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Definitely adding these to my list :)
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
  • coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Chicken and turkey
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    chia seeds, quinoa and beans are also good sources of protein other than meat.
  • Dory_Gump2014
    Dory_Gump2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know dairy gets a bad rap sometimes but ricotta cheese has 15grms of protein in 12 cup and can be incorporated so many ways. I love it mixed in dry jello and a Tbs of cool whip for a topping on berries--healthy dessert. Also cottage cheese and fage yogurt are my go tos
  • Dory_Gump2014
    Dory_Gump2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sorry 1/2 cup
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg.