That would be rather salty... ;)
  • brockbennett1981
    brockbennett1981 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ive never ate them dont know how too prepare
  • MarissaEgham
    MarissaEgham Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can treat it very much like a normal flowery potato (eg Maris Piper) except it cooks quicker. It does have a sweeter taste that for me means that I do not want to eat as much. Great in their jacket and mashed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just chop them into wedges, bit of oil, salt & pepper and bake them for 30-40 minutes. Also nice as mash, with whole grain mustard stirred through.
  • brockbennett1981
    Options
    Thanks
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I was so ready to read about what in the hell a SWEAT potato is, because that just doesn't sound appetizing.

Cut into fry shapes, toss with a little olive oil and some spices (salt, cayenne, paprika, cajun seasoning, taco seasoning, whatever you like).

Bake at 425F for 15 minutes and flip them, repeat every 15 minutes until they are crispy and effing delicious.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I usually just bake them and top them with a little cinnamon and brown sugar and a smidge of butter.
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Clicked 'cause it said "sweat potato."

I skin mine and cube them, toss them with about half a tablespoon of olive oil, half a teaspoon of minced garlic, a dash or two of thyme, and a heaping tablespoon of grated Parmesan. Bake them at 400 for 30-40 minutes in a foiled-lined baking pan to make your house smell like an Italian restaurant and get a delicious bite that tastes a little like sweet and creamy garlic bread. I usually turn on the broiler for the last few minutes or so to crisp the outsides a little bit. Mouth watering . . .
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Sweat potatoes sound gross. But I like to bake sweet potatoes in the oven until they are almost starting to burn on the outside, right under the skin, so that it gets a delicious caramelization thing going. I don't even salt or pepper it, I think they are naturally delicious.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sweet Potato Enchilada - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/257479303672553690/ (see pinterest)
    Baked - toss in microwave for 5 minutes (small size spud)
    Mashed - with a bit of butter
    Roasted - w/ evoo, garlic, salt, pepper (I add other veggies with this too, whatever I have on hand)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We use them in place of regular potatoes and treat them exactly the same. We don't prefer the orange ones, we like the lighter colored white sweet potatoes and sometimes the purple ones (also known as a Japanese yam but it's still actually a sweet potato.) The textures and sweetness vary depending on what color you get so try the different varieties if you can and see what you like best.
  • dollypond21
    dollypond21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not keen for sweaty spuds!!!!! However sweet potatoes are lovely baked as jackets
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This morning I made a sweet potato kale hash:

1 Large Sweet potato
    1 Cup fresh or frozen Kale, Chopped
    1 tbsp butter
    Salt to taste

Poke sweet potato with knife and microwave until done, in my microwave it is 5 minutes. Microwave Kale in a bowl with about 1 tbsp water, covered with paper towel to keep in moisture. Set skillet on medium and heat butter until melted. Peel off skin on potato (should slip right off now) and dice. Put potato in skillet and cook until browned a bit. Toss in kale. Add a dash of salt to taste. Serves 2 people. 95 calories per Serving and loads of Vitamin A!

9z9ibslza3xv.jpg

I also like to just microwave it and put butter salt & pepper in it. Or make as baked fries by cutting into slices/wedges, toss in olive oil, salt and pepper and bake on a cookie sheet until brown and crispy. turn over half way through cooking so both sides get browned.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Clicked 'cause it said "sweat potato."

I skin mine and cube them, toss them with about half a tablespoon of olive oil, half a teaspoon of minced garlic, a dash or two of thyme, and a heaping tablespoon of grated Parmesan. Bake them at 400 for 30-40 minutes in a foiled-lined baking pan to make your house smell like an Italian restaurant and get a delicious bite that tastes a little like sweet and creamy garlic bread. I usually turn on the broiler for the last few minutes or so to crisp the outsides a little bit. Mouth watering . . .

That sounds so good! I may need to try that.
  • brockbennett1981
    Options
    Just noticed i hit the wrong button lol SWEET!!!!
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I bake several at a time and keep them in the fridge. Squeeze the inside out of the skin (it falls right off), sprinkle with brown sugar and put some marshmallows on top. Culinary torch and it is just decadent. The toppings don't add many calories.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    chop into cubes, drizzle with 1tbsp olive oil, fresh thyme, salt, pepper and bake at 375 for 20-25mins. just had that tonight yum!