fitness tracker discussion!!

Options
2»

Replies

• jleet83
    jleet83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Recently when I put in my exercise it doesn't increase my macros, instead only my calories remaining. It used to calculate how many more carbs I could eat, fat I could eat, etc. Anyone else have this problem?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    jleet83 wrote: »
    I have a question. Recently when I put in my exercise it doesn't increase my macros, instead only my calories remaining. It used to calculate how many more carbs I could eat, fat I could eat, etc. Anyone else have this problem?

Viewing mine through the web account - it did for mine.

Are you sure it didn't increase?
    Look at a future date with no logging of anything to see what the base values are, then back to day with exercise logged.

If not, where are you looking exactly since there is web account and app.

And since this was topic about activity tracker - are you logging exercise on MFP the tracker is already seeing, perhaps more accurately for calorie burn than what you are logging?
  • BBBCampbell
    BBBCampbell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a Samsung Gearfit which is a great tool for tracking steps (but not much else), however since it is not compatible with MFP, how can I record the steps I accumulate through the day into MFP? Thanks.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivoactive and it can be used in pool or open water. Some users have been able to use the GPS function in open water.
  • kalegria24
    kalegria24 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just for giggles I wore my Fitbit One inside my drysuit while scuba diving... Poor thing was Very Confused :) Other than that, I do love my Fitbit. Have lost 80 pounds using it! Yay Me!!!!
  • fantinij
    fantinij Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the Misfit Shine and LOVE it! It doesn't have a HRM but I haven't minded that. It's good for swimming and the Shine is water resistant to 50 meters. It also syncs with MFP. With using JUST the Shine alone I lost 38lbs but now I'm using it with MFP to meet my goal.
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I haven't purchased a fitness tracker yet. I'm still researching them.

I had trimmed my list down to two - the Microsoft Band and the Jawbone Up3. I was also thinking about getting the Misfit Flash to use for swimming along with one of those.

But then someone mentioned that the Polar Loop has a sleep monitor. This is one of the functions that I require in a tracker. (I suffer from nocturnal seizures. While this a neurological disorder, it does disrupt breathing and heart rhythms. So unless I want to purchase and sleep hooked up to an EEG, an fitness tracker is the way to go.)

Now, I'd prefer just having to deal with a band to track my sleep...but if the Polar Loop can give very detailed information regarding the sleep cycle, I'd be more preposed to purchasing it. I have heard that the Band & Up3 can determine amount of REM sleep you obtain, but if the Polar Loop can actually show me the cycles that would cinch it for me. From what I understand the HRM will give a "minute-by-minute" report. Can anyone verify this or explain/show what a sleep report (of any of the three) looks like?
  • Cronniss
    Options
    Ok, so I've found some images for sleep tracking reports.

For Microsoft's Band you actually receive some relatively detailed information:

dma7z86gsb5u.jpeg
    This is the report from the MS Health & Fitness app. (Image pulled from The Guardian.) As you can see it gives you the amount of "Restful Sleep" and "Light Sleep" in hours, how many times you wake up, resting HR, calories burned, as well as "Sleep Efficiency." Unfortunately, they don't explain what the terms mean.

You also receive a mini-report on the Band itself:
    jnxew6lxokoy.jpg
    (Image pulled from Tom's Guide.)

So far I have not been able to find images for Jawbone's Up3 reports...but I would think they would be similar to its predecessor, the Up24.
    ongwcr60b0p9.png
    (Image from Jawbone's whitepages.)

Between the Band and Up(24), it seems the Band comes ahead in sleep tracking since it will give you an hour-by-hour breakdown of how you slept.

Earlier in the thread someone had posted a link to DCRainmaker. I checked his site out and found a review for the Polar Loop. He's very detailed in his review. Here's the image that he had for the Polar Loop's sleep tracking report:
    acatey13mgg9.jpg

As you can see it only has the amount of time that you've slept. But you can use the HRM and the report it pulls to track your sleep, the only problem is that the HRM looks at this as activity and not as sleep. Here is what DCRainmaker had as an example for a 30-minute cycle exercise from the above review:
    d94yozss7stm.png

Now, from what I understand Polar has updated their sleep tracking metrics and app software since DCRainmaker posted his review back in 2013 (Dec). Unfortunately, I am not able to find any other images regarding the sleep tracking of their product. If anyone has the Loop and they wouldn't mind posting an image of the updated sleep tracking report portion I'd greatly appreciate it. It's this part of the product that is really going to determine whether I purchase the Loop or the Band.

Although I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of wearing an HRM to bed, I'm starting to lean towards the Polar Loop because it does everything else I want plus allow for swimming. Whereas the Band doesn't allow for swimming, but if it has the better sleep tracking...that's more important for me.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have a Samsung Gearfit which is a great tool for tracking steps (but not much else), however since it is not compatible with MFP, how can I record the steps I accumulate through the day into MFP? Thanks.

You can create in your Check-In section a "measurement" of anything, including one called steps.
  • heybales
    Options
    @Cronniss
    Perhaps an updated review of new device.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/activity-tracker-review.html

image_thumb42.png

You can also join free and see what you would get. Then you'll have your account if you get it.
    Should be more help files or displays once inside.

https://flow.polar.com/
  • Cronniss
    Options
    Thanks for that! I didn't think of looking into a newer product. D'oh! :p

And I was thinking about joining their service to see if I could get more info before getting their product, too...hehe. ;)