Food and Alcohol Questions Going Camping

Options
Hi yall!
So it's going to be the long weekend where I lived next week and we are doing our first camp of the season! I need some ideas on camping foods besides the classic hot-dog and burgers... I don't want to totally go off the deep end. Also my friends and I will be drinking most likely and have no clue as to what to bring! Again, I don't drink all the time but need some ideas here(drinks that are lighter in calories?).. Anything suggested is much appreciated! Add me too if you'd like :)

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Drinks that are lighter: liquor (like rum) and a diet mixer (i.e. rum and diet coke).

As for food, take whatever you enjoy. You can have the classics if you enjoy them. If you want to cut the calories, eat the classics without buns. I take sandwiches, pre-cooked chicken that I can warm up on the fire/grill, and lots of fruit.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I make my own burgers, mix of ground beef, shredded cheese, shredded mushroom, bacon, seasonings, onion, garlic, eggs and flax seed or cornflake crumbs. They come to about 100 calories a patty. I eat them with lettuce wrapped around instead of a bun so I can have more.

I love having shishkabobs camping too, skewer lean meat and veggies and roast, so yummy and easy.

As far as drinking, a clear spirit with diet soda is lower cal than say beer.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Fruits and raw veggies for snacking, cut up in advance. Make a Greek yogurt based dip if you need something rich.
    Pre-skewer shish kebabs to bbq. I love chicken breast or swordfish with pineapple, peppers and onions.
    Wrapping white potatoes or sweet potatoes in tin foil and putting in coals of fire to cook is fun and easy.

gin and (diet) tonic with lime is a summertime standby for me.
    You can also spritz down wine with seltzer and fruit, if you don't mind the lower alcohol content.
  • Malibugrammie
    Malibugrammie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, going away is the hardest, but if you plan then it won't be a disaster. I like to bring a bag of organic baby carrots, some bags of lettuce (already washed and dried), apples, strawberries, freeze-dried veggies, lots of grape tomatoes, lemons and a case of bottled water. Whatever low cal dressing you like, bring a bottle to dip your veggies in and put lemon in your water to alternate with high calorie beer and soda. If you have a burger, stuff it with lettuce and eat the tomatoes instead of chips. I pop a huge bag of popcorn also. You can bring some pita pockets to fill with veggies and 1/2 a hot dog - this way you're still part of it, but can keep some control. Good luck!
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I camp constantly, we do a lot of foods...not just those classics!

We take our dutch oven and do casseroles and pot roast. I just don't eat the potatoes, not too bad. Chicken Salad, Tuna, Salad for lunch, with fruit for sides. We also do just cold cuts (although I wrap them in lettuce). I never go camping without my "healthy chips." The brand is Sensible Portions, they make these Veggie Straws which are amazing, and Cinnamon straws are even better. You can bring a carton of egg whites for breakfast and turkey sausage or bacon. We always have oatmeal as well. Oh, and you can do hobo dinners for dinner: just put a bunch of seasonings, vegetables, and whatever meat you want. Wrap in foil, cook them over the fire. You can have a variety so everyone can put whatever they want in them. Like...potatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, ground sirloin, chicken, pork sausage. Just google that for more ideas and instructions.

You could do rum and Coke zero as well. Smores are so hard to resist, so I usually will have just one a day for a treat. Hike it off!
  • mynameisoliverqueen
    mynameisoliverqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I go out fishing for a couple of days (very similar to camping), I take the same stuff I would eat at home. Put cereal bars & pre-weighed snacks in clip lock boxes, and eat steaks, chicken breast, turkey breasts, ostrich fillets, etc as well. All the food is kept cool in a lined cooler bag with ice packs. Anything that needs cooking is cooked on a single burner Primus gas stove in a dry pan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of hot dogs, but nothing at all wrong with a good, homemade burger. I actually eat a good home burger pretty much weekly but it's absolutely a favorite while camping.

I'm going camping this weekend for two nights...one night will be burgers and beans and cucumber salad and one night will be steak, potatoes, and some kind of veg. I take a grill with me camping and I basically cook the same as if I were at home.

I will drink plenty of beer as well...it's two days of camping...no biggie.
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers, turkey dogs, pre-cut veggies for snacking, eggs in the am (can pre hard boil a bunch ahead of time), oatmeal in the am, popcorn (pre-pop a big bag or make on the fire) for snacking.....
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When I go out fishing for a couple of days (very similar to camping), I take the same stuff I would eat at home. Put cereal bars & pre-weighed snacks in clip lock boxes, and eat steaks, chicken breast, turkey breasts, ostrich fillets, etc .....

Ostrich fillets??? So random! haha

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Plus sides of camping - you usually have to prepare ahead of time what you plan to cook so you can plan to be pretty good. I would probably do what other have said and ditch the bread or buns on some things. Camp breakfasts are a great time to do eggs and ham or bacon (little to no carbs). Take good snacks like nuts and jerky. Another plus side is the fact that campers tend to be more active. Hike or bike when you camp and that will give you some freedom to enjoy a Smore or a few drinks. Have fun! I'm jealous!