Replies

• Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is on average 540-600 calories
  • boobeey
    boobeey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them maybe you can play with the receipe alittle to shrink the calories and still get a great taste.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    laditz wrote: »
    Better to get those calories in at start of day and end the day with less than pile all your calories into last meal.

Why?
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    If you like it and it works for you then that is what is most important.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Nope, I had a 670 cal breakfast today. If you know you are going to exercise or work out hard, I wouldn't worry about it. That being said, make sure you are getting quality for that large cal meal.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    jjkoba81 wrote: »
    Before I started this I never ate breakfast, so by the time lunch rolled around I'd go buck wild. The smoothie is 1 cup spinach, 1 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 tbs chia seeds, 1 tbs oats, 1 date, 1/4 cup almonds, 1 1/2 almond milk unsweetened. It's really good and very filling. I can't be bothered to make anything elaborate in the morning before work. So yes, I'm definitely satisfied by a 500 cal smoothie it just seemed like 500 calories were more than most of what I see people eating for breakfast.

If it's not causing you to go over your calorie goal for the day, I definitely wouldn't worry about. It all comes down to personal preference. I almost never eat breakfast, because I tend to want my calories later in the day. It hasn't hurt my weight loss any.

• bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    your smoothie sounds filling and healthy. I agree with the others if you are satisfied there is nothing wrong with having that. I try to even out my calories per meal so if i am allowed 1200 I would do 400 per meal. However if I go out for a meal I try to make adjustment for higher calories or spread food out for snacks between meals.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Hell no. 500+ is standard issue for me.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Theoretically there is nothing wrong with have 500 calories for breakfast. What you need to look at is how does your body react to drinking your breafast. Are you getting hungry during the day and snacking? Are you going over over calories?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    Theoretically there is nothing wrong with have 500 calories for breakfast. What you need to look at is how does your body react to drinking your breafast. Are you getting hungry during the day and snacking? Are you going over over calories?
    Before I started this I never ate breakfast, so by the time lunch rolled around I'd go buck wild. The smoothie is 1 cup spinach, 1 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 tbs chia seeds, 1 tbs oats, 1 date, 1/4 cup almonds, 1 1/2 almond milk unsweetened. It's really good and very filling. I can't be bothered to make anything elaborate in the morning before work. So yes, I'm definitely satisfied by a 500 cal smoothie it just seemed like 500 calories were more than most of what I see people eating for breakfast.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Why would it matter how much other people eat for breakfast? I don’t eat breakfast because I’m just not hungry, and I just had 500 calories for lunch, when my daily goal is 1400. I don’t even care though, because it was delicious, I already planned my dinner, and I still have calories left for snacks. It’s all about what works for you, not for other people.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    laditz wrote: »
    Better to get those calories in at start of day and end the day with less than pile all your calories into last meal.

As @MrM27 said in another post, what is it with these people make this out of whack comments that have no profile and a very small post count.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are working at keeping full all day, eating a third of your calorie target for breakfast is perfectly fine. My target is just over 1600 calories a day and my breakfast ranges between 400 and 500 calories.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just figure out what works best for you. I personally do best when I get most of my carbs and protein in the morning in a bigger meal, have a small lunch (usually just a protein smoothie or a salad with chicken) and indulge in a little fat at dinner to feel satisfied. The amount of calories at each meal doesn't matter to me so much as long as I maintain my deficit for the day.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I get 1580 calories and my breakfast is usually around 450-500. 2 eggs, cheese, potatoes and turkey sausage. All the calories come mainly from the eggs and cheese.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm not supposed to go over 1,820 calories a day, this breakfast smoothie I've been making though comes out to be just under 500 calories. Is that too much just for breakfast?

What works for you? Because whatever it is, that's how much you should have.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist once said try to keep meals under 600 calories each so by that standard you are fine. What seems odd is the amount of calories for what you are getting and the lack of protein it provides. Since this is working for you I would just highly recomennd that you add a scoop or two of a good protein powder such as Jay Robb or Pure Protein. My morning shake is 30 grams of protein and 160 calories just as a comparasion.....
  • sheridanjeane
    sheridanjeane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could consider swapping out the banana for some yogurt. That way you'd also be getting some protein. Greek Yogurt is higher in protein. (I like the vanilla yogurt in smoothies.) Bananas are high in calories, but they are delicious and good for you, so it's a tradeoff.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    stanvoodoo wrote: »
    A nutritionist once said try to keep meals under 600 calories each so by that standard you are fine. What seems odd is the amount of calories for what you are getting and the lack of protein it provides. Since this is working for you I would just highly recomennd that you add a scoop or two of a good protein powder such as Jay Robb or Pure Protein. My morning shake is 30 grams of protein and 160 calories just as a comparasion.....

So your "shake" is essentially protein powder in water. Doesn't sound nearly as filling or tasty. I agree that a little more protein wouldn't kill him but who knows maybe lunch and dinner are higher protein. OP, if it keeps you full and works for you go for it!
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My breakfast smoothie this morning was 501 calories. Banana, peanut butter, oats and milk. Totally filled me up and was easy to take with me to drink on the bus since I didn't have time for cooking eggs and bacon and sit down to eat it today.