Sugar as poison

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    so let me get this right OP ...you are saying that if I have hit my micronutrients for the day, and then I eat added sugar that the sugar then drains of said micros and I need to consume more to make up for them???

is that really what you are saying?

sugar, the new vampire....
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    so let me get this right OP ...you are saying that if I have hit my micronutrients for the day, and then I eat added sugar that the sugar then drains of said micros and I need to consume more to make up for them???

mascots-detail3.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

51-9tN2HVsL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I don't always read science...

But when I do, it's a 40 year old manuscript based on ~60 year old studies

(You'll just have to imagine the most interesting man gif)

I like to take my science from a time of mass Communist hysteria.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    What is the MD50 of sucrose?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Okay, yeah, ha ha, very funny etc... But is there anyone with some knowledge of nutrition and digestion that can comment on the validity (or otherwise) of what was written?

Yes, can we please get someone with knowledge of nutrition and digestion to let us know if sugar will turn us into witches?

(This is a time-sensitive question, I kinda need to know before I eat my lunch).

Guess who had Oreos for lunch??

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpbXY0V2NS2fMOF6yIJqPVVvg5PQg1LoJlL0Y_4UebZXy2t8YS

It was all those chocolate frogs.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    This wont end well
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    TLDR

I read © 1975 and immediately stopped reading.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - provide us with a peer reviewed study from sometime in the last 20 years showing the sugar drains micronutrients out of you, and then maybe we can have a discussion..

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    my thought ....sugar as poison is complete and utter nonsense...

sugar drains the body of nourishments???? yea sure ...

again total ludicrousness....
    Always flagged for honest posts
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Okay, yeah, ha ha, very funny etc... But is there anyone with some knowledge of nutrition and digestion that can comment on the validity (or otherwise) of what was written?

It's absolute bollox. My qualifications - BSc(Hons), MSc, Biochemistry

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This is the best thread of the week.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    BAHAHA yes!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    This wont end well

It didn't even begin well.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    my thought ....sugar as poison is complete and utter nonsense...

sugar drains the body of nourishments???? yea sure ...

again total ludicrousness....
    Always flagged for honest posts

right? And it's the only one flagged out of all the gifs, etc mocking the whole thing.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar makes one sleepy; our ability to calculate and remember is lost."

Thoughts?

So as a runner I take Gels on longer runs to give me energy. these gels are basically sugar I have never yet fallen asleep or forgotten where I'm going :p

Now where am I? 2+2=5. See no problems now I must go for my afternoon snooze
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Yeah, basically, I think that's what he is saying. So are you all saying that micronutrients are not actually required to digest sugar? (I'm genuinely trying to understand this.)

I found a link to a longer extract from the book, and this is another section from it:

"Sugars lack the vitamins and minerals required for their own metabolism. To be metabolized, sugars must draw on our body's stores of these nutrients. The more sugars you eat, the more vitamins and minerals you need.

It can leach B, C, D vitamins, and those minerals:

calcium, phosphorous, iron, selenium, zinc, chromium, vanadium, tin, boron, bismuth, rear earth elements etc. from our teeth, bones, and tissues.

As these are depleted, our body becomes less able to carry out other functions that require minerals and vitamins to be present: to metabolize fats and cholesterol; to convert cholesterol into bile acids for removal from our body through the stool; or to burn-off excess fats as heat or increased activity. As a result , our cholesterol level rises; our metabolic rate goes down; fats burn more slowly; gall stones are crystallizing in or liver; we feel less like exercising, and our weight is increasing. We have already started walking our way to cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases."
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Yeah, basically, I think that's what he is saying. So are you all saying that micronutrients are not actually required to digest sugar? (I'm genuinely trying to understand this.)

I found a link to a longer extract from the book, and this is another section from it:

"Sugars lack the vitamins and minerals required for their own metabolism. To be metabolized, sugars must draw on our body's stores of these nutrients. The more sugars you eat, the more vitamins and minerals you need.

It can leach B, C, D vitamins, and those minerals:

calcium, phosphorous, iron, selenium, zinc, chromium, vanadium, tin, boron, bismuth, rear earth elements etc. from our teeth, bones, and tissues.

As these are depleted, our body becomes less able to carry out other functions that require minerals and vitamins to be present: to metabolize fats and cholesterol; to convert cholesterol into bile acids for removal from our body through the stool; or to burn-off excess fats as heat or increased activity. As a result , our cholesterol level rises; our metabolic rate goes down; fats burn more slowly; gall stones are crystallizing in or liver; we feel less like exercising, and our weight is increasing. We have already started walking our way to cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases."

Well...were someone eating spoonsful of pure sugar all day, every day, he MIGHT (and I stress MIGHT) have a point.

But since generally you're eating sugar along with other ingredients that contain such minerals & nutrients, and other foods that contain them I'm not overly concerned.
This discussion has been closed.