Dizziness

Options
A while ago my doctor told me that I have low Blood pressure and he recommended more salty things. So I did eat more salty things. But now the dizziness is back and I haven't changed anything.

It happens especially if I sit up/stand up too quickly, my vision goes black a few seconds and I feel like I'm floating.

I'm going to ask my pharmacist about it tomorrow (my doctor charges really expensive just for an appointment), but before hand, is there anything else that you guys know of that can cause this?

Extra info: 22F, 5'2, small boned, 135lb, eating 1350 calories with a maintenance of 1650.

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It happens to me all the time. I just go along with the ride. I have low blood pressure and crave salty things. I've been getting these dizzy spells all my life, if your doctor isn't concerned, it's probably just your "Normal".
  • SkinnyMiss053
    SkinnyMiss053 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    And in case you're wondering, I'm a poor student hahaha, that's why I'd rather ask my pharmacist for advice than make a ridiculously expensive doctor's appointment. They mix the medicine, don't they? So they must know SOMETHING. :)
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    It happens to me all the time. I just go along with the ride. I have low blood pressure and crave salty things. I've been getting these dizzy spells all my life, if your doctor isn't concerned, it's probably just your "Normal".

That's funny because I crave sweet, LOTS OF SWEETSmyy5mdcjnuz0.jpg
    !
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The dizziness when standing up is a classic sign of low blood pressure. Exercise might help, but let your doc know that sodium isn't helping.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Apparently caffeine raises the blood pressure. Drink coffee?
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    Apparently caffeine raises the blood pressure. Drink coffee?

No not a lot. Maybe once a day. Maybe. I like it, just don't drink it much. :)
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Check your iron levels. But your doc would probably have to send you for blood tests. It could be a sign of anem
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    one thing to do to counteract the dizzy spells when standing up is to move your arms and legs around pretty good before standing. that might give you a temporary BP jolt and help prevent the dizziness. I get it too. sometimes its so bad that I almost have hit the floor. My BP is on the low end, but still in a normal range. the condition is called Postural Hypotension. most causes are dehydration, reduction in blood pressure(often due to BP meds not balanced well) or reduction in BP due to prolonged sitting. If you're on your tookas a long time, your heart doesn't need to work hard, BP will drop. make it work some before standing up and you may be able to stave off that dizziness.
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    one thing to do to counteract the dizzy spells when standing up is to move your arms and legs around pretty good before standing. that might give you a temporary BP jolt and help prevent the dizziness. I get it too. sometimes its so bad that I almost have hit the floor. My BP is on the low end, but still in a normal range. the condition is called Postural Hypotension. most causes are dehydration, reduction in blood pressure(often due to BP meds not balanced well) or reduction in BP due to prolonged sitting. If you're on your tookas a long time, your heart doesn't need to work hard, BP will drop. make it work some before standing up and you may be able to stave off that dizziness.

Might be because I sit all day. And you're right, when I stand up quickly my heart suddenly starts pumping faster for a minute or so before normalizing again. Might be that :) my friend also suggested that it could be because I breathe so shallow. Might take some deep breaths before standing up.

I'll still go ask my pharmacist for advice anyhow. :)

Also on the blood test thing, I had a full set about 2 months ago and they all came back normal. And this has been happening again since before those tests, so if something was off it would have showed up.