how many calories can you burn in a week

Options
cem789
cem789 Posts: 231 Member
just wondering if anyone has ever done a week of pure exercise!?

i finish uni forever next friday then have 2 weeks to shape up/tone/burn fat for my holiday . (i can only really diet till then, dont have time for long cardio sessions).

i know its a lot but since i have nothing to do i figured i could spent maybe 2/3 hours in the gym a day and then everyday just go for a random 3/4 hour walk!!!

haha so has anyone ever tried burning 2000+ calories a day for longer than a week?

Replies

• kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    swimming burns a ton of calories. i easy do 2000 in a given session.
  • cem789
    Options
    how long would i have to swim for a day?
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    2000? Wow, that's a lot. I burn about 950 a day, and that's about 80/90 mins of cardio at the gym....
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind that the heavier you are, the more calories you burn for the exercise you're doing than somebody 100lbs lighter.
    At 140lbs ish, I burn about 400 calories an hour swimming gentle laps (you shouldn't log it as the stroke unless you are swimming fast), so I'd have to swim for 5 hours to burn 2000 calories...

I burn between 500 and 1000 a day depending on what I'm doing, over a period of one to two hours, I don't think I'd be able to burn much more without either having a whole day (I go to the gym / classes after work) free, and even then I think I'd be shattered at my current rate of fitness!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have done times of that kind of exercise, when I used to row and was training for a big race, we'd do 2 hours a day, 6 days a week, plus weights. Also when we first moved to London and I wasn't working I'd do 4 hours in the gym, but it didn't really benefit me. It just made me tired and shaky, and made no difference to my weight/shape over just walking 4 hours a day, which I did anyway.
  • Britt22706
    Britt22706 Posts: 97
    Options
    I weigh about 120 lbs right now, and I have to work super hard just to burn around 200 calories. There was one day that I burned around 500, which was AMAZING for me!! Although, I had to work out 3 times that day. Although running is a great exercise and get's my heart rate up there, nothing is better than tennis!! For some reason, those spurts of running just does it for me better. I burn a lot more calories playing tennis for 30 minutes than I do running for 30.
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    I find zumba burns around the 600 mark for 1 hour class, and running for 30mins burns approx 350cals for me and I'm about 148lb and 5'5, so i think with some real dedication you could burn 2000cals, but my body will probs catch up after a fewdays and I'd have to rest and catch up on the eating so i didnt get exhausted.xx
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I usually burn around 300 on an average day running 30 min and then another 300 at softball practice for 2 hours.

On the weekends I go for my long runs (10-13 mi) and burn around 1,100-1,300 calories.

I couldn't imagine doing that everyday, at my current fitness level I know I'd end up injured or extremely exhausted.
  • cem789
    Options
    i finish uni forever on thursday and will have 2 weeks before i go on holiday. im so used to being busy all day that i will actually quite enjoy the exercise i think!

im thinking

run 5k, 5 times in a week (i do this anyway kinda!)
    spent 2 hours in the gym 6 days a week
    do 3 or 4 exercise classes a week
    spend a day climbing a mountain
    go for a long random walk every day

this is just to fill my time for 2 weeks and burn fat for holiday!!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think the only way I could burn 2000 is skiing! I'd be bored doing cardio for 4 or 5 hours per day, let alone have the stamina.

It's a great ambtion, but I've found you dont necessarly dump a load of weight in a week or two becasue you increase your exercise. Most times increased activity makes you put on weight first as your body goes into panic mode and holds onto reserves for dear life!! Like when I started P90X I didn't see results for 5 weeks. After your body gets used to it, then you lose the weight. But hey, we are all different!! :noway:

Good luck with whatever you decide :flowerforyou:
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    cem... i weigh more than u by far & I swim like 2 hrs a day... from the looks of you, swimming would lean you out a bit and some pilates will build some lean muscles that trim& sculpt you all over... you are already thin so to accomplish your goal that's my recommendation.. It will be way more effective than workout obsessing to just bust through rapid cal. eat protein, cut carbs, add pilates & i think you will see a big difference & get u in that fit zone u r looking for.

add it to your running & mountain climbing day... and leave behind this concept of spending so much time in the gym & all...

this is something you can do for your lifestyle... what you are proposing though u will eventually burn out & feel like crap. then you'll risk giving up on it altogether.