Running and losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    celebrated finishing with a huge post race meal.

Sounds great!

I like running because it means I can fit a beer into my life once in a while. :smile:

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    On days when I don't want to run, this sometimes motivates me:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mikey_gee wrote: »
    Hi Andrea, the body has a tendency to stall with weight loss when you do the same thing (just running) ...

If by "do the same thing" you mean "keep not eating at a deficit", then yes, that would be correct.

But if you're in a deficit, you're going to lose weight, no matter what you do or don't do.
  • HealthyFreya
    HealthyFreya Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm also a runner, will add you :smile:
  • SeeDawnSlim
    SeeDawnSlim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing and inspiring! I am 33 yrs old, 180 lbs, 5'7". I've been overweight all of my life, but I've had stints of healthy habits that last 3-8 months at a time. Yo-yo and YOLO are not healthy!!

I have decided to start running, and I'm training to complete Atlanta's Peachtree Road Race (10k) on the 4th of July. I love strength training and "less than love" cardio training, but my goal is 2-3 days of running/walking and 2-3 days of strength/circuit training each week.

My biggest challenge is remaining disciplined as my schedule and life obligations go a little haywire. I look forward to reading any of your advice and insights and supporting those of you who are at the beginning (or re-beginning) stage with me.
  • SeeDawnSlim
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

This...is...EVERYTHING! LOL
  • AndreaTrombitas
    AndreaTrombitas Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So I run 4 times a week, and one is usually a long one, 10-12 kilometers (6-7 miles I think). I try to make it slow. The rest of the days I ran minimum 5 km (3 miles?), this is my own rule, that I do not run less than this (don´t ask me why, I just feel that shorter distances are not satisfying enough). The total weekly distance is 20-25 km.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm in your shoes, too. Once I began running the weight loss slowed down. I think it's more of an "i'm actually eating too much than I'm actually burning. Plus all that expenditure makes you super hungry. Plateaus come and go...but do you cross train? I've found when I keep my deficit, and cross train it makes a huge difference (also makes me a better runner).
  • rockymtranger
    rockymtranger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I run or walk every day, and as long as I'm vigilant in tracking calories, the weight just drops off. I use Runkeeper and the data imports directly into MFP, so no calculating calories burned. Good luck with the running plan.
  • AndreaTrombitas
    AndreaTrombitas Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in your shoes, too. Once I began running the weight loss slowed down. I think it's more of an "i'm actually eating too much than I'm actually burning. Plus all that expenditure makes you super hungry. Plateaus come and go...but do you cross train? I've found when I keep my deficit, and cross train it makes a huge difference (also makes me a better runner).

No cross training so far. I have to try that. And I need to get back to tracking my food regularly.

• bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

LOL: "Dude, get the cake!"
  • Balikkk
    Balikkk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1800 calories. (I want to lose weight slowly, I'm not in a hurry. :smile: )This week I started to do the C25K. So far so good. The only problem is1800 calories are not enough anymore. I eat my calories from the workouts but still I feel like my body needs more. I don't have cravings or anything but I feel like I'm getting hungry more frequently and I need more than what I eat. Weird thing though, I did want to eat more oil and fat. That was weird for me, because I'm almost always under my fat goal, just eating my normal way.
    I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to lose weight. :neutral:
    Oh this reminds me, I need to go for a run. :smiley:
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about a month now. I am also trying to lose weight and would love friends for support. I haven't run for four days due to my knee being sore and now I am sick with some repertory thing and my body has made it clear it's not going to let me run. Anyway.... would love some support and to offer support.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to eat and drink and running allows me to do both. When I started January 2014 I had just received my fitbit and was walking a few miles a day. The calories counting was a pain in fitbit so I went to MFP. I counted every calorie and started running. I eat a huge breakfast of oatmeal, fruit and walnuts after my morning run at 4:30 AM As the miles increased I noticed the weight dropping so I added more til I was running about 30 miles a week. I hit my goal and went past it (or revised it) My undoing was a 6 month renovation to a commercial building I bought and that means lots of beer and less running till I quit running from thanksgiving to Christmas. That combined with over eating and quickly added 18 pounds. Don't know if its the food or the running but I am back to running and eating better so I say yes running helps. BTW as a 6' 1" male with a target weight of 175 pounds I was eating over 2400 calories daily too. When I was on a mission I would run 4 miles MWF and stop by the gym to do a nautilus set. Tue. Thurs. I would do a 8 miler and Sunday a 10 mile. I would also do 16 minutes of planks 30 sec on and 30 sec rest daily.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I weigh about the same as you (currently 161 lbs, 44 yo) and I could not run AND eat 1200 calories. I need at least 1800 cal / day to support running. I also run 3 or 4 times a week, I actually eat about 2000 cal / day, I'm ravenous on run days, and yes I'm losing weight (slowly -- about 3 lbs a month right now).

If I'm not losing weight at my activity level it's because I'm eating too much. Period. Sometimes intense exercise can make you eat more, and sometimes you can't even tell it's happening. So if you're exercising more intensely and not losing weight, that's where I'd investigate first. (The second place I'd look into is whether your time horizon for estimating loss is too short. For many women -- myself included -- hormones and monthly cycles can "hide" weight loss on the scale for several weeks at a time. At my current rate of loss, I only "lose weight" on the scale a couple of days a month, and seem to be maintaining or "not losing" the rest of the month, if the scale alone were to be believed. So I have to be patient and look at a longer time horizon.).

Keys for me to avoid overeating for weight loss when I'm running are:
    1. Tracking food honestly, accurately, and weighing my portions. In the past when I thought I was eating a very low calorie level below 1500 cal / day and not losing, I was estimating portion sizes using eyeball logic and it turns out I was VERY wrong. Lesson learned. A glass of milk is a LOT more than 8 ounces. A chicken breast is a LOT more than 3 ounces. An "average" sized apple or pear is more than 3 ounces and often way more than the 100 calorie rule of thumb I've often had in my head. Don't even get me started on peanut butter portions. Etc. etc. etc. Any single item might seem negligible but that stuff adds up fast.

2. Eating to a plan. I typically pre-plan my food day out and aim for about 150 cal below my actual target. As the day goes on and I actually weigh things that might vary (pieces of meat, fruit and veg) I've got those 150 calories to soak up any unexpected overage, and if I have an unexpected undercount of calories I get cookies or a bigger glass of wine at dinner or whatever. Some people prefer to be flexible and fly by the seat of their pants, I guess, and if that works for them, great. Me, I need to pre-plan a lot.

3. On running days or other heavy exertion days I make a special effort to eat regularly throughout the day (on lighter days I often like to "save" calories for the evening, eating a much lighter breakfast and lunch). I'm one of those weird people who gets hungry but can't actually tell that I'm hungry (i.e., being hungry doesn't make me consciously anxious or uncomfortable, I guess) until I'm around food and then unplanned things happen and I'll find myself putting unexpected food in my mouth. So on heavy exertion days I eat a bigger breakfast, I eat my lunch earlier, I eat my dinner a bit earlier in the day too. Also on those days I aim for a bit more protein than other days. All of that just helps make sure that my repressed hunger doesn't make me overeat. I'm still hungry probably but the zombie munchies don't necessarily take over.

4. Obviously at 2000 cal per day I fuel for exercise, but I don't specifically count calories "earned" from exercise in order to eat them back. Trying to estimate calories from specific workouts is a sucker's game, IMO. There are so many variables. Instead, since my exercise routine is very consistent I use a TDEE method: I have a top-line estimate of my total weekly (or even monthly) activity level and just use that to estimate my daily average daily calorie needs.
  • w117seg
    w117seg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think though that you can stall as someone said earlier if you assume the same calorie burn across several months of running. If you run 20 miles a week every week, your body does adjust and will burn fewer calories as you get stronger. So unless you have increased your effort in some way, it could be that entering the same calorie burn of 2000 calories a week for running could have just become innaccurate.
  • SeeDawnSlim
    Options
    momasox wrote: »
    I've been running for about a month now. I am also trying to lose weight and would love friends for support. I haven't run for four days due to my knee being sore and now I am sick with some repertory thing and my body has made it clear it's not going to let me run. Anyway.... would love some support and to offer support.

I'm sorry about your injury, but don't count yourself out. If you can ease back into your routine with some exercise that is less taxing on your knees (swimming is great if you have access to a pool; yoga; pilates, etc.), then you won't feel like you've lost progress toward your goal. Don't be too hard on yourself if you have to take an injury break, and be sure to have a plan for active recovery.

You can do this!!
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I run or walk every day, and as long as I'm vigilant in tracking calories, the weight just drops off. I use Runkeeper and the data imports directly into MFP, so no calculating calories burned. Good luck with the running plan.

^ This! :D
    simple math formula: calories IN (consumed) minus calories OUT (burned).

^ This! :p
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    momasox wrote: »
    I haven't run for four days due to my knee being sore and now I am sick with some repertory thing ...

Sorry to hear you are suffering a respiratory ailment, get well soon.

Regarding your knee, have you determined what the issue is? There are some knee issues that are easily resolved by proper stretching, ITB is one very good example of this.

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice in this thread. The one thing I would add is 'what' you consume is just as important as 'how much' you consume. Not all calories are equal. I found when I ate a lot of empty calories (especially processed food), I don't have the energy to run as far or as fast as when I'm eating clean.