drinking water to help lose weight

Options
Drinking 64 oz of water a day really helps u lose to weight? how many pounds can u lose?

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking 2-3 gallons a day since I began losing weight.

• geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Drinking 64 oz of water a day really helps u lose to weight?
    Yes.
    how many pounds can u lose?

Depends.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    No. A calorie deficit is required to lose weight. Being adequately hydrated is essential for your health but that doesn't necessarily require you to drink 64 oz of water to get there.
  • LMS120yesIcan
    LMS120yesIcan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    water helps suppress my appetite and therefore I eat less which enables me to lose weight.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Not really. The only way drinking water has helped me to lose is drinking water instead soda created a small calorie deficit. I freed up over 500 calories from cutting out sodas in my daily food/drink intake.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Drinking water instead of sweet drinks will cut calories. Since your stomach usually doesn't register liquids as food, it will help with appetite. Drinking water also helps cravings for some people.

A dehydrated metabolism will temporarily slow down. It's a small effect but over weeks and weeks it adds up. And if you exercise, being dehydrated will affect your performance, which means you'll burn less calories.

In my case, I have a lot fewer headaches now that I drink 1-2 liters a day. That's my primary motivation for keeping my water bottle handy :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Drinking 64 oz of water a day really helps u lose to weight? how many pounds can u lose?

drinking water keeps you hydrated...staying hydrated keeps your body functioning optimally, to include your metabolism. Not everything we do is for weight loss...a lot of what we do is about good health...drinking water and staying hydrated is good for your health.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Drinking water instead of juice or soda helps eliminate those calories, and helps me eat at a deficit. Adequate hydration is also key to the body operating well.
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Drinking water can flush out sodium that causes you to hold onto water weight, which will make you lose on the scale. You can also drink water when you think youre hungry but are really thirsty. And of course water helps the food weight process faster (I assume). I try to drink as much as I possibly can. But in the end, you cannot lose weight by only changing how much water you consume. You need to have a calorie deficit and then you'll lose.
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Water helps me stop eating so much during meals as it fills my stomach up with liquid

But if you meant eating the same amount of calories and drinking extra water on top... then nope
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Not that I can tell. I remember one of my aunts constantly drinking water. Her water glass was never more than an arms length away. But she was always overweight and talking about needing to lose weight.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Not that I can tell. I remember one of my aunts constantly drinking water. Her water glass was never more than an arms length away. But she was always overweight and talking about needing to lose weight.

If it were as simple as drinking water would there be any fat people? I don't like plain water but if it would help me shed pounds without doing anything else, you'd better believe I'd be drinking it. :laugh: