Trusting nutrition facts - Sheetz

Options
Today I picked up Sheetz for lunch, I got a 5 piece chicken strips. These things are breaded and fried and delicious, I am stuffed after eating 4, and the nutrition calculator on their website (as well as the database here) is trying to tell me that 5 piece chicken strips only had 220 calories. I'm having a hard time trusting that, but perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about. What do you guys think?

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound right to me. I just had some frozen Tyson chicken strips for lunch and 2 of them were 364 calories. Two came out to 163 grams, how big do you estimate yours were?
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Doesn't sound right either. I looked at Zaxby's site because theirs looks close to Sheetz and they have a 5 piece chicken fingers for 430 calories. A lot will depend upon breading used but they should be close.

How big are these chicken fingers from Sheetz? They are only listing 13g protein and Zaxby's has 43g...definitely something buggy on their site. (or they have tiny chicken fingers)
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    6wtwq43g8tmj.jpg

Possibly each chicken tender is the 220cal
  • ruggedshutter
    Options
    Unlikely...the PC version says 1 serving size is 5 stirps

h2s7rkburjvm.jpg
  • crazycatlady88np
    crazycatlady88np Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That was my first thought too, but if you look at the listing for the 3-piece its decreased proportionally. I wish there was a way to report this, people count on those nutrition labels, its one thing for it to vary a bit depending on the size of each strip but this seems to be off by way more than that. I'm not sure how to estimate how big they are...I've had the Tyson ones and these are a bit smaller, but I've never been to Zaxby's to compare to those and I'm terrible at estimating weight.
  • ruggedshutter
    Options
    I would say that you can probably go with the Zaxby ones and be fairly close (or at least closer than what they have listed). Zaxby's are about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide (just going off of what I can remember). They would have to be awfully tiny to only get 13g of protein in 5 chicken strips.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure they're under-reporting calories. Which I don't think is legal, but I know places do it anyway. X(
  • Gena_Beana
    Gena_Beana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I came into a similar situation just last week at the gym no less. The gym promotes it's "healthy smoothies" as being 160 calories. I asked the guy making them if that was correct and he went into his supplies, and low and behold there was no way one smoothie was 160 calories, he reported his estimates based on just a few ingredients alone to be at least 400 calories!! Yikes, glad I didn't buy one.
  • crazycatlady88np
    crazycatlady88np Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Now I'm torn between not wanting to go back there because I'm mad about this, and wanting to go back immediately to buy more so I can weigh and measure them lol
  • tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Unless those are seriously pencil thin, they are probably about 100 cals a strip as a good estimate if you're looking to lose, if you're looking to gain, they are right on the money ;) Good catch Crzy !