Do you take Vits/minerals?

Options
mehmig
mehmig Posts: 55 Member
I recently started my weight loss journey. I am doing the 30 day shred. I also have 3 kids, my oldest has autism. We do a lot of biomedical supplements for him and I started taking some of them myself. The first thing I noticed was that I wasn't as hungry as I used to be. I stopped eating gluten, just like my son and I no longer have the uncontrollable desire to eat baked goods. I also started treating for yeast overgrowth, like we do for my son and my hunger really got under control.

Does anyone else do any of this? Have you experienced similar results or hunger control? I can't be the only one, right?

Anyway, i'd love to hear more if you are experiencing similar results or situation.

Maryann

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, omega 3, selenium and co-enzyme Q-10. I also take 5-HTP which helps me sleep and makes me less anxious. I don't know if they help as I have taken them for ages, so I don't know how I would be without them.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin. I haven't noticed a significant difference, but I wanted to make sure I was getting enough vitamins to stay healthy.
  • dbendelow
    dbendelow Posts: 27
    Options
    I take Vit C and Vit B complex and although the Vit B complex makes your pee bright green i feel they help my attention span and stop me feeling as tired. :)
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I take 15 pills every morning, lol.

11 are for medical reasons, but I also take Vitamin D, Ferrous Gluconate (Iron supplement), multivitamin and an essential oil vitamin (tempted to cut the last one out, it makes me feel kind of sick most days).

Like above, I've been on some of them for some long that I wouldn't be able to tell you their affects unless I were to go off of them. Some of my perscription pills do mess around with my appetite a little, but I have heard people raving about certain key vitamins to take like D, B12, and C.

Good luck!
  • Kristinemillar
    Options
    I take multivitamins with Iron daily, as I'm anaemic I have been doing this for years... Also guarantees that you get vitamins into you when on a reduced calorie diet.
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin daily and 50,000 IUs of Vitamin D weekly. Once I started taking the multivitamin I did notice my appetite decreased as did the random food cravings.
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    I take

Optimum 100% Casein Protein - Muscle Growth/Weight Loss
    Optimum 100% Whey Protein -- Muscle Growth/Weight Loss

Optimum Mens Multi-Vitamin - Best one out on the Market IMHO
    Optimum BCAA 1000mg - Supports Muscle Growth/Recovery

Sci-Fit Kre-Alkalyn 1500 - Supports Muscle Growth
    Sci-Fit Gluta-Lyn 1500 - Supports Muscle Recovery

Sci-Fit ZMA - Helps recovery/Sleep
    NOW Omega 3 - Aids in Fat Loss

NOW Green Tea Extract - Anti Oxidant/ Fat Loss
    High Power CLA - Aids in Fat Loss

Equate Stay Awake ( Caffine ) - 200mg - I work graveyard shift. I need soemthing to keep me up
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Every morning I take Vitamin D, C and B12. I am also on Metformin for insulin resistence. I notice no change or difference.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm primal so I lay off 90% of man made foods / grains etc.. I take Omega 3's, mulit vit, whey protien powder and shakeology every day. It works for me.
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vit + iron (propensity to anaemia), garlic capsules and evening primrose oil, I've only been taken the EPO for about 3 months but I no longer get monthly cramps so I'm keeping that one up, I've currently run out of garlic and not getting any til the end of the month, but I notice that I get cold feet in bed if I stop for long. The last two could be totally psychosomatic, but I'm not arguing as they do me no harm ;-)
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I track the vitamins I'm getting from my food, and I'm good on most of them. I do take calcium+D, because I'm still working on getting enough alternative sources to dairy products for calcium, and I'm a night owl in Seattle, so I don't get a lot of sun. I also take magnesium, because I used to get cluster headaches, and it's supposed to help with them. I want to make sure I'm always getting enough. I haven't had a headache in awhile, so it seems to be working. Mostly, though, when I find myself lacking in a certain vitamin, I find out what foods are richest in it and add them to my diet. That's why I can't see myself ever completely giving up all animal-based products. I'd rather work it into my diet naturally rather than in pill form.
  • aaronfahs326
    Options
    i take a multi. i think everyone should... even when trying to get on the most perfect diet... its very hard to get the perfect amount of everything and a multi helps!
  • mehmig
    mehmig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I track the vitamins I'm getting from my food, and I'm good on most of them. I do take calcium+D, because I'm still working on getting enough alternative sources to dairy products for calcium, and I'm a night owl in Seattle, so I don't get a lot of sun. I also take magnesium, because I used to get cluster headaches, and it's supposed to help with them. I want to make sure I'm always getting enough. I haven't had a headache in awhile, so it seems to be working. Mostly, though, when I find myself lacking in a certain vitamin, I find out what foods are richest in it and add them to my diet. That's why I can't see myself ever completely giving up all animal-based products. I'd rather work it into my diet naturally rather than in pill form.

I tend to agree about getting it from food, but with my son's issues we learned that he couldn't get everything from food, and that is why we sup. So I started looking at it for myself and found I was similar. I am really in to holistic foods and diets, so we try to steer clear of junk and eat lots of organic foods, grass fed beefs, fermented foods, etc. But until I started doing these things my cravings and hunger were crazy. Now, I can control my hunger. I couldn't before. It really was an eye opener for me. I used to hear how you could eat a certain amount of food and be full, but it didn't work for me. I could not do it. Now I know I had some internal issues that were making it a problem. Now I do pretty well. Thanks for the replies.
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I take 3 fish oil
    1 calicum
    1 multi....probley should be taking more i guess..better than nothing!:glasses:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I recently started my weight loss journey. I am doing the 30 day shred. I also have 3 kids, my oldest has autism. We do a lot of biomedical supplements for him and I started taking some of them myself. The first thing I noticed was that I wasn't as hungry as I used to be. I stopped eating gluten, just like my son and I no longer have the uncontrollable desire to eat baked goods. I also started treating for yeast overgrowth, like we do for my son and my hunger really got under control.

Does anyone else do any of this? Have you experienced similar results or hunger control? I can't be the only one, right?

Anyway, i'd love to hear more if you are experiencing similar results or situation.

Maryann

I take a multivitamin as an insurance policy and also krill oil.

But I agree that most people will feel less hungry if they can control their simple carbs, as your blood sugar will be more stable.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

Why are you avoiding dairy products? Vegan?