work out suggestions for the injury prone

Options
This winter I was training for a 15k and developed plantar fasciitis in my left heel. I tried to take it easy, but I didn't want to give up completely because it was a Hot Chocolate run, and well...I'm easily motivated by chocolate. And pride. Pride and chocolate. Needless to say, my heel never got better and at times it has been excrutiating (inserts and stretching my foot helps but I think it will be a while before I'm 100%). While training for the 15k, I also joined a soccer league, and in one of our first games, I strained my right quad. A couple of weeks later, after the 15k, I thought I was ready to play again...strained it again. Now I'm scared of my body. I am bailing on soccer and I'm trying to be kind to my heel (no running, long walks, or hiking--all of which I absolutely love). But I have about 60 pounds to lose, and I don't want to quit working out altogether. I have been sticking with the recumbent bike at the gym, which is gentler for my heel, but it is so boring. I'm thinking about using weights but I'm not sure where to start and how to work the lower half of my body given my heel situation and fear of straining my quad again. Any recommendations for books/website for weightlifting for clumsy beginners? Other than swimming, does anyone have workout recommendations that won't aggravate my heel? Thanks!

Replies

• Newsordova
    Newsordova Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    cycling?
  • ritodcin03
    ritodcin03 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Sordova. I've been considering investing in a bike. It would probably be a lot more interesting than the recumbent bike in the gym!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    A lot of beginning weightlifters on this forum use Stronglifts. If you google you can look over the program, which has the advantage of being simple but effective.
  • ritodcin03
    ritodcin03 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's a great site!
  • icom100
    icom100 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I dont want to sound unkind. I want you to have truthful advice. If you are overweight by 60 lbs, you really shouldnt be trying to do a 15 k. That is a long distance, and with that much extra body weight, you are really asking for injuries. Been there done that. If I were you I would scale back on my running. Try doing a shorter run in the morning and do another exercise at night, like the stationary bike. That way you sill get good cardio brnefits, doing something toward your goal, and not having to spend as much time on the bike. Also, mixing up your training like that keeps your body from becoming too efficient at any one exercise, which helps speed with weight loss. Praying you get well soon.