A non-snacking professor

Options
menchi
menchi Posts: 297 Member
I have a strange dilemma. I teach college chemistry and I have this policy that if a student needs to borrow a calculator during an exam, I will loan them one for $5 and the money goes towards snacks for the class. They also have the option of bringing snacks next class. After a couple classes with snacks, some students have suggested that we just regularly bring snacks, have a potluck, etc. This is a 3 hour class, I understand having food helps learning. I have never had any of the snacks they bring in because I don't have the presence of mind to control my snacking when I'm focused on teaching. Plus I'm talking, I don't want my mouth full. Also, most of the snacks are not super healthy options like chips, oreos and soda. Most of the snacks don't really interest me much.

No one has mentioned that I never eat the snacks, but I'm not sure what to say if someone asks. With friends it's fine to explain, but it feels a bit too personal with students.

Replies

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to the good old days when you so much as chewed gum in a class you got an eraser thrown at you?
  • dallpruitt
    dallpruitt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think you should have a healthy snack in your belongings that you can pull out when the class has a snack, just to show you are pertisipating and if someone ask a question you can say I'm enjoying a healthy snack today.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you've got chemicals on your hands from the lab. In all seriousness, I think it's easy just to give them the "oh, no, I shouldn't. I'm trying to watch what I eat". College students are adults, a simple explanation like that doesn't seem invasive or too personal to me. Alternately, you could bring in your own healthier snack, and eat up.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I think you already have what you need to say
    menchi wrote: »
    I'm talking, I don't want my mouth full.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm a college instructor -- English and Writing, not chemistry, so I don't have the "chemicals" to deal with. I have taught in environments when there are 3 hour classes, and in some week-end environments that have one monthly class from 9-5. Whenever I teach for 3 hours, I allow a 10 minute break when students can use the restroom and get a snack (either they bring them or there's a vending machine nearby). I feel that 3 hours of sitting without a break is not conducive to learning. I usually don't eat during that time (or need to) because I've eaten something right before class to keep my strength up, and like you, I don't like to eat while I'm actually teaching. I do allow students to eat in the classroom, especially for night classes, when students may be coming from work with no meal break. I typically don't eat snacks that are offered to me, except in special circumstances when a student brings something homemade, and not to try it would be a violation of hospitality (particularly when teaching in an ESL environment). The full day class has two short breaks and a lunch break built-in. We all get our own lunch which we either bring from home or go out to obtain.

Anything under two hours -- forget it. If you can't sit through a 90 minute class without eating something, you have a problem.

As a college instructor, I have a problem with being expected to offer snacks or provide meals for students, unless it's the last class as kind of end-of-semester celebration. I feel as if that's something teachers do in elementary school.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm also a professor, but with a different snack issue associated with teaching long classes. We've had a major mouse/ bug infestation problems in classrooms where students regularly bring snacks into rooms--even though our custodians really try to stay on top of things. I don't prohibit students from bringing food to class (particularly a 3-hour night class), but I also encourage them to police up after themselves as scrupulously as possible if they DO.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    menchi wrote: »
    I have a strange dilemma. I teach college chemistry and I have this policy that if a student needs to borrow a calculator during an exam, I will loan them one for $5 and the money goes towards snacks for the class. They also have the option of bringing snacks next class. After a couple classes with snacks, some students have suggested that we just regularly bring snacks, have a potluck, etc. This is a 3 hour class, I understand having food helps learning. I have never had any of the snacks they bring in because I don't have the presence of mind to control my snacking when I'm focused on teaching. Plus I'm talking, I don't want my mouth full. Also, most of the snacks are not super healthy options like chips, oreos and soda. Most of the snacks don't really interest me much.

No one has mentioned that I never eat the snacks, but I'm not sure what to say if someone asks. With friends it's fine to explain, but it feels a bit too personal with students.

I have a comment about the calculator. I am majoring in biochem, i took gen chem a while back, obviously. I am slightly confused about the entire calculator issue. The school has a lot of TI-30XIIS, it depends on the professor, some professors let us use our own calculator, or they are give us the TI-30XIIS for test taking, so students can't cheat. I am just mind boggled why they would be charged 5 dollars, unless they are "renting it" for the semester. That's reasonable.

To the snacking question. I had a teacher who would do a review sessions before the tests. She would open a room, and give a lecture of the topics, or we can just ask her questions of practice problems that the test subject was on. She would ask us to bring snacks, as a pot lock. We'd bring things. The teacher would eat snacks as well. This specific teacher lost a ton of weight. I was just curious of her method she said she cut out sugars. If she told us during the review sessions that she was watching her weight, I don't think anyone would think anything of it. I personally don't think it's a big deal, if someone asks, and I would tell them. There have been a few times, i almost told people, "I am diabetic" to avoid awkward situations.

I'm sure this professor bought these calculators with her own money.
    You're a college kid, she doesn't need to provide you with a calculator. She's being generous by loaning ones she's bought and I don't think charging 5$ is unreasonable. It covers half the cost of the calculator if it goes missing and it's enough money to make someone think about bringing theirs.

I don't think you need to explain yourself in regards to the snacks.
    But there's nothing wrong with chips, soda, oreoes, etc in moderation.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm also a professor, but with a different snack issue associated with teaching long classes. We've had a major mouse/ bug infestation problems in classrooms where students regularly bring snacks into rooms--even though our custodians really try to stay on top of things. I don't prohibit students from bringing food to class (particularly a 3-hour night class), but I also encourage them to police up after themselves as scrupulously as possible if they DO.

We had a similar issue at one of the schools where I work. Students would use glass top tables during break out discussion sessions, and often eat their meal breaks or snacks there. Apparently, some very disgusting things accumulated underneath that glass!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback! I think I'm most comfortable with "I'm talking and don't want my mouth full" and the "I don't like to eat while I'm teaching." I can handle that.

I do have to reinforce the cleaning up after yourselves problem. It's hard because some of the other classes leave the room a mess and I have to tell my students to help clean up. So far, this term has been better than some.

As for the calculator fee, I tell my students I bought the calculators for $1.99 each and that they will likely want to have a calculator for their exams. I have no restrictions about what kind of calculator except they cannot use their phones/computers/tablets. I personally feel that everyone should have a calculator or be prepared enough before an exam to borrow one from a friend. If they choose not to bring one, then it is out of my hands. I am sort of baffled that even with the ridiculous fee, I still have students who would opt to pay $5.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am the advisor of the "Doctor Who Club" at my school, and I always bring in soda and Oreos for the kids. While they watch an episode and snack, I will either drink water or eat an apple or something like that. We do have a "no food/drink" policy in school, but there are many, many teachers that allow their kids to eat in class, especially before a vacation. I don't allow any eating, but do allow water; anything goes afterschool.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I teach an 8am class. While I normally don't allow much in the way of snacks (other than drinks with lids on them), I do let the 8am class bring food from time to time. Once a semester or so. Pre-arranged. But I don't supply it. And I don't partake in what they bring, even if they coordinate and bring a group snack (I may drink a green smoothie from time to time).
    When I've had 3 hr classes I've not changed those general rules, but rather given a short break to have a snack and use the washroom.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of potluck a during a class. I think it would distract from the learning experience. If the class is during dinner hours, let them bring a lunch. If not, then three hours is not so long that you have to fortify yourself with food. Really? We can't go three hours without eating? No wonder we have weight problems.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You already said a good reason: "I'm talking, I don't want my mouth full."