Vegan and Pregnant

Options
Does anyone know much protein I should be getting when pregnant and vegan during a second tri-mester or any tips in general for optimum health while vegan and expecting baby?

Replies

• kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a dietitian. I've heard B12 supplements are often recommended for vegans in pregnancy if you're not on a supplement already. But consult your doctor and a dietitian.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Veganhealth.org has some great resources for pregnant vegans, but this is generally something you should discuss with your doctor.

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. What you ingest while pregnant is going to affect your baby. Don't leave that in the hands of strangers on the internet.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    theveganRD.com is a good place to start. I would recommend seeing a dietician, and perhaps doing a vegan style "myplate", replacing the dairy for a vegan calcium source.
  • JalynRose1
    JalynRose1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would recommend reading The Kind Mama by Alicia Silverstone. I am not pregnant yet but I am currently reading it so that I will be prepared when I do get pregnant. Tons of useful information and very educational.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Talk to your doctor. What you ingest while pregnant is going to affect your baby. Don't leave that in the hands of strangers on the internet.

Solid advice.
  • JalynRose1
    JalynRose1 Posts: 30 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Also, join my veg group on my fitness pal! Check it out here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105865-vegetarians-vegans
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i think asking your doctor and a dietician would be smarter than asking the internet...