Chicken weight...HELP?

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
I bought 2.83 lbs. of chicken (5 breasts) and am cooking it all in one pot.

2.83 lbs. in grams is about 1300. But that means these breasts are only 98 calories each. That sounds way too low.

Am I messing something up here??? I feel like an idiot. Any and all help and/or snide comments welcome. :laugh:

(My digital kitchen scale is literally in the mail.)

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like an idiot! :-) Chicken breasts appear to be very low in calories, just looking at the database, 4oz. is listed as under 100 calories. So I'd say go with it for now.
  • Helena4
    Helena4 Posts: 124
    Options
    Chicken is low in calories - the ones I'm cooking for dinner tonight are about 80calories each! Enjoy!
  • kimbaclay
    kimbaclay Posts: 81
    Options
    1300 divided by 5 chicken breasts is 260
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

The entry I was using had all 5 totaling fewer than 500 calories. They are about 9 oz. each so I knew there was just NO way.

I refigured them at 225 calories each. Which sounds much more realistic. Thx :)
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    1300 divided by 5 chicken breasts is 260

yea, that is what they weigh each
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My 200gms chicken breast are about 220 cals.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, for the weight that does sound low! A skinless chicken breast, with fat trimmed, from my local supermarket that weighs about 250g (8.8oz) is 340cals.
  • DoingTheNeedful
    DoingTheNeedful Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh, this thread reminds me, I need to see if there's any appreciable difference between raw and cooked chicken when it comes to weight. Like, when we say "one ounce of boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloin," is that 1 ounce after being cooked on a Foreman grill (or whatever) or 1 ounce raw? And when we input that into MFP, should we be using the raw weight or the cooked weight (assuming there's any great difference)?
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    This I know...always raw unless it specifies "cooked".
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yup, chicken breast is low in cals. The frozen breasts we eat most often are 85 cals for 100g (Country Harvest sold at Costco in the big red box). For fresh chicken breast I uses the Livestrong.com # since there are hundreds of options in the MFP database and that one is most accurate which is 112g for 100 cals - it’s in the database too.
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

The entry I was using had all 5 totaling fewer than 500 calories. They are about 9 oz. each so I knew there was just NO way.

I refigured them at 225 calories each. Which sounds much more realistic. Thx :)

That is about right.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've had issue with the low cal on chicken as well.. I think that I'll google an alternate source just to check it out.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I think most chicken like 1 calorie per gram
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Read the label on the chicken! The calories and protein content are pretty much the same across the board, but some chicken has been injected with "flavor enhancers" that will skyrocket the sodium and fat count!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    There was no label. It was deli chicken.