Question About Weighing

Options
hncary
hncary Posts: 176 Member
This may be a silly question, but I'm not 100% sure... I cooked some chicken drumsticks and the package has the serving size as 4oz raw/3oz cooked, but do I weigh them as a whole drumstick or do I need to take all the meat off of the bone and just weigh that? They're Perdue brand if it makes a difference.

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I would suspect that it includes the bones. I try to double-check that sort of thing by checking the weight of the product against the number of servings multiplied by the weight of a raw serving.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I think in that case I'd weight it raw with the bone since you probably wouldn't debone it before cooking. That only helps you for next time though. If you have enough calories left, can you just make the most conservative assumption?
  • hncary
    Options
    Yeah this one really stumped me. I don't think it had a servings per package listed either, but I will double check to make sure. I did go ahead and just weigh it with the bone to be safe, but was just curious if anyone happened to know for the future. I'm not very hungry today so it isn't really a big deal... If I was low on calories it would probably bother me lol
  • AshlynG923
    AshlynG923 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You weigh the edible portion.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Weigh it raw. Cook it and eat what you can, then weigh the remainder -- skin, gristle, bones, whatever you didn't eat. Subtract that from the original weight and log the difference. If you started with a 5oz raw bone-in drumstick, cooked and ate it, weighed the leftovers and they were one ounce, then 5-1=4, and you'd log 4oz. It's tedious, but it's the best way to handle bone-in chicken (I'm doing it myself tonight with bone-in thighs).
  • hncary
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    Weigh it raw. Cook it and eat what you can, then weigh the remainder -- skin, gristle, bones, whatever you didn't eat. Subtract that from the original weight and log the difference. If you started with a 5oz raw bone-in drumstick, cooked and ate it, weighed the leftovers and they were one ounce, then 5-1=4, and you'd log 4oz. It's tedious, but it's the best way to handle bone-in chicken (I'm doing it myself tonight with bone-in thighs).

That's a good idea. Thank you!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »

thats what I do...