Fruits and sugar

Options
menabino
menabino Posts: 3 Member
i am really struggling with this issue. I eat lots of fruits and am blowing my sugar goal by lunch. Should I be concerned and cut out this fruits?

Replies

• AbiBain
    AbiBain Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't cut them out, they have unique nutrients. Moderate how much you eat and sub in vegetables instead if you can.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    why not just reduce the amount you eat and eat it early in the day? i love fruits as well but i eat a cup of fresh berries or an orange after lunch.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar recommendation is really....really low. Switch to a different macro, like fiber, to track.
  • AbiBain
    AbiBain Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    MFP's sugar recommendation is really....really low. Switch to a different macro, like fiber, to track.

What macros do you track? I'm not sure which ones I should be other than kcal and salt (my mum has high blood pressure so I have to keep an eye).
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    No. Unless you have a medical reason to do so, you don't need to cut out fruit, or even added sugar. Personally, I switched my goals to track fiber instead of sugar.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar recommendation is really....really low.

It's 15% of your total calories -- some might consider that reasonable. Here's a sugar faq you might find helpful, menabino.

So what's with this Sugar then?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This: if you track carbs, it includes sugar, so many find it more helpful to track fiber and not sugar itself. If you get enough fiber, you will know that a good portion of your carbs are from nutrient dense foods, typically, as fiber tends to come from carbs like beans, whole grains, fruits, and veggies.

Also, MFP's sugar recommendation is 15% of total calories. Now that I have a reasonably high calorie goal (1750) it's not an issue, but I've noticed that I can easily hit 45 grams (which is 15% of calories for someone at the 1200 minimum) with just veggies, fruit, and dairy, and I don't even eat that much fruit.

There's no good reason for all sugars to be so low. The idea is that you shouldn't be getting a disproportionate number of your overall calories from low nutrient sweets, really. The sugar tracker is not a good way to monitor that, so if it bugs you, switch to fiber.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I go over mfp's sugar goal everyday, and I don't add sugar to anything. Mine comes from fruit, dairy and veggies.
  • 123water
    123water Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm finding the same thing....glad to know others are too!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    kpodaru wrote: »
    why not just reduce the amount you eat and eat it early in the day? i love fruits as well but i eat a cup of fresh berries or an orange after lunch.

Why early in the day?? What time you eat something makes zero difference.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    kpodaru wrote: »

Why early in the day?? What time you eat something makes zero difference.

Big picture, just concentrate on staying under your calories first and foremost but there are studies indicating meal timing might very well matter. This one was just floating around twitter today:

Meal timing affects glucose tolerance, substrate oxidation and circadian-related variables: A randomized, crossover trial

• menabino
    menabino Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. Now, how do I change my settings to track fiber instead of sugar?