Stretch Marks From Strength Training

Options
Since I've started doing more strength training, I've noticed my arms and tummy have gained stretch marks where there were none before, even though I'm losing weight. Why is this?

Replies

• BlueDaisy717
    BlueDaisy717 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This time and the last time I lost weight I've gotten stretch marks in the same areas (stomach, arms and shoulders) even though the last time I wasn't strength training, so it may be just down to losing weight although I'm sure someone on here might be able to give you more information :smiley:
  • RedRaven49
    RedRaven49 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Oh, okay! How odd. I thought stretch marks were caused by, well, stretching. Apparently not the case! Thanks for your reply :)
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Stretch markes are usually due to skin conforming to your body especially if you lose lots of weight in a quick matter of time
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think it is probably that when you gained weight it caused stretch marks, but they didn't show because of being filled out. Then as you lose weight and decrease in size, they show. But, they will still probably decrease with time and healing of the skin. Strength training will help because it will help keep you filled out with muscle and it will look good. Strength training would only cause it if you somehow gained muscle size too quickly, but that would be rare unless you were training very intensely and eating a lot (or possibly taking some steroids or something). And you would be able to see that you had gotten bigger and it would be reflected in your measurements. This is what I think.
  • RedRaven49
    Options
    I think it is probably that when you gained weight it caused stretch marks, but they didn't show because of being filled out. Then as you lose weight and decrease in size, they show. But, they will still probably decrease with time and healing of the skin. Strength training will help because it will help keep you filled out with muscle and it will look good. Strength training would only cause it if you somehow gained muscle size too quickly, but that would be rare unless you were training very intensely and eating a lot (or possibly taking some steroids or something). And you would be able to see that you had gotten bigger and it would be reflected in your measurements. This is what I think.

That makes a lot of sense, I think you're probably right. Thank you!
    I haven't been working out too intensely, just doing what I can, so I can't imagine I'm gaining too quickly. Last week I could only lift 5kg in an arm curl for 10 reps, this week I can lift 10 for 15. Is that too quick a progression?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The only time I've seen people get stretch marks from strength training is when they grow a lot of muscle quickly. Which is unlikely your scenario!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    RedRaven49 wrote: »

I haven't been working out too intensely, just doing what I can, so I can't imagine I'm gaining too quickly. Last week I could only lift 5kg in an arm curl for 10 reps, this week I can lift 10 for 15. Is that too quick a progression?

Oh no, that is definitely not too quick. That's really not something you need to worry about. It's hard for men to gain muscle, and it's even harder for women because we have less testosterone. You are doing great, and have nothing to worry about. Just keep at it. There are so many benefits to strength training and progressing and lifting heavier, and getting stronger. You will get stronger initially without actually even gaining any muscle. And when you do gain a few pounds of muscle at most, maybe within a year of training heavy weights you will be glad you did. For the most part strength training will just help you not to lose muscle, while you are losing fat.

• RedRaven49
    Options
    RedRaven49 wrote: »

Oh no, that is definitely not too quick. That's really not something you need to worry about. It's hard for men to gain muscle, and it's even harder for women because we have less testosterone. You are doing great, and have nothing to worry about. Just keep at it. There are so many benefits to strength training and progressing and lifting heavier, and getting stronger. You will get stronger initially without actually even gaining any muscle. And when you do gain a few pounds of muscle at most, maybe within a year of training heavy weights you will be glad you did. For the most part strength training will just help you not to lose muscle, while you are losing fat.

Great, thanks!
  • BobzStuff
    BobzStuff Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Argan oil is really great for skin. I use La Muse Moroccan Oil because it is pure oil with no extra crap. They are having a giveaway if you want to try it right now http://lamusebeauty.com/the-magic-of-moroccan-oil-giveaway/