On floor mountain climbers

Options
hnyzthms
hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
Ok so I have been having awful trouble with my knees. Which is a pain as I am a typical pear shape and it's my lower half especially thighs that need toning.
Now at the moment mountain climbers are ok on my knees. But what part of the body do these work?

I am do a few upper body 30 day challenges

I know walking and swimming are good. However I will add I spend 36 hrs a week walking up and down a ward so my days off I am trying to more body strength exercises. and swimming I have just started swimming lessons as I can't swim so not there yet

Replies

• Lisi_p54321
    Lisi_p54321 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We do spiderman mountain climbers, its mountain climbers from the planking position. I hurt my knee with sports and it isn't strenuous on the knees and works your core as well.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First off, you can’t spot reduce. You’re going to lose fat the way your genetics let you. Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. So, focus on that to “reshape” yourself.

As for exercise, it should be based on the other fitness goals you have (strength, cardiovascular, endurance, mobility, balance, agility, speed). You can get strong with body weight workouts, although using weights does help. I’d focus on squats, lunges, push ups, pull ups, and inverted V push ups (shoulders and triceps). As you get stronger, make the exercise more difficult (don’t just add reps).

Mountain climbers are a core exercise (you have to keep a steady core to stay in the plank position and bring one leg up). Beyond that, it is really more of an endurance/cardiovascular exercise. It doesn’t take much strength to push a leg back in the air.