How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Hey,
I've been doing MFP for about 18 days now, I've lost 8lb with around 58 to go. The program and sticking to it has been working great. I could do with more excersize, but I'm doing my best to push myself. In past diets I would limit myself to a weekly weigh-in, but this time, maybe because of how meticulous I am with my food intake, I've been weighing every day. It generates around a 2lb fluctuation that is driving me a bit crazy. I'm concerned that not stepping on the scale every morning would lead me to downgrade my awareness to what I'm eating and send me back to a less healthy path. So I just wanted to know what is considered, in you view, a solid interval for weighing?

Replies

• runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Once a week (if that), and only as a secondary tool. Pay attention to your clothes more than to the scale; clothes tell a powerful story.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day sometimes, other times I forget and only weigh every 3-4 days. On very busy weeks it might only be once per week. I record the overall lowest weight of the week and let the other days just be a guide and to keep me alert about my water intake, sodium intake, etc. There's too many natural fluctuations to make each time 'count', so to speak, but I know if I hit a lower weight than the week before I'm still making progress in the right direction.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Every morning after I get up, go toilet, shower then on the scales I go. Gives me the true picture. Go for weekly weigh-in and log anytime there is a significant change. Do it to see how I'm progressing. To echo comment above, clothes tell the real story. Scales can fluctuate during the day, depending on when you weigh. Don't feel down if the scales showing not too much of a chance. Took long to gain the weight now slowly does it is the safest option. Good luck.
  • Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Every day but I don't count it as an official weigh-in until Sunday where I see what my new weight is since it can fluctuate quite a bit during the week.
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day BECAUSE of the fluctuations - I want to make sure I catch the lowest reading of the week! I also find it keeps me focused and on track. I expect it to go up and down, and stay focused on trying to get a downward trend, rather than expecting a straight line down. I always weigh in the morning before breakfast (fluctuate by several pounds in one day! ). "Weight" is imperfect - it is always fluctuating, but it is quick and easy! I agree with above - use clothes and how they are fitting as the real determiner of success...and don't forget to take progress picks! Try taking them in the same outfit so you can clearly see the changes! And, play around until you find the weighing schedule (daily, weekly, monthly) that keeps you motivated without driving you crazy :) Good luck!
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    *pics ;)
  • HannaSusi
    HannaSusi Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, but today I wish I hadn't :( I already felt bloated for some reason, and the scale showed +2lbs compared to last Thursday. Reading this thread actually made me feel better, as I was feeling mortified about the result... Probably just excess fluids :) Phew!

Good luck, you'll get there!
  • HannaSusi
    Options
    I weigh once a week, but today I wish I hadn't :( I already felt bloated for some reason, and the scale showed +2lbs compared to last Thursday. Reading this thread actually made me feel better, as I was feeling mortified about the result... Probably just excess fluids :) Phew!

Good luck, you'll get there!
  • HannaSusi
    edited May 2015
    Options
    (double post, stupid computer >_<)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    every week or so
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Every day. What I like seeing is the graph, with a trend downwards. Individual bumps and fluctuations don't matter as long as that graph is pointing in the right direction overall :)

• RunnerDench
    RunnerDench Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. This helped a lot. :smile:
  • Lisi_p54321
    Lisi_p54321 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before breakfast. It is mostly stable but fluctuates on weekends for some odd reason ;) hahaha but I only log once a week on Wednesdays, never on a Monday...worst day of the week hehe
  • danicristina2015
    danicristina2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    At first I used to weigh myself every day or every other day! But I reached a point where I can tell if I lose weight without stepping on the scale so I do it once a week or every other week
  • SkinnyMiss053
    SkinnyMiss053 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Weekly for most people. I only get weighed once a month by my trainer, because if I don't weigh myself it doesn't feel like weight loss is my only goal at the moment and it makes me adhere to things better.

I'll probably start weighing every 2 weeks once I maintain. Though I'm still very far away from that considering I still need to lose 20lb and I only lose 2lb a month.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Every day just for reference, and I record the lowest weight once a week (is that cheating? Lol).

I don't get hung up on the numbers. I go by pictures and how my clothes fit.
  • beccisayer
    beccisayer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Everyday I record my weight because like you i worry if i dont i'll slip back into bad habbits but if I'm up a lb on the previous day I dont stress to much as its bound to happen depending on time of month, water intake, etc. I only worry if the general trend starts going up not down. So far I've lost 22kg ( which I think is about 50lb) its taken several years and I still have 8kg to go but I'm getting there.

As a word of caution though my wife also weighs herself everyday but she does stress out even if she's only put on 1/4 lb, with a healthy bmi of 21 she doesnt need to worry, I see overall her weight staying consistant week on week but for her daily weighin causes more stress than motivation. What I try to get her to see is the bigger picture and daily fluctuations are natural.

• kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    rarely; the scale isn't a very good way to gauge your progress - inches lost is much better. i weighed myself for kicks 3 days ago and i'm the same weight as i was in late 2013 but i've lost a lot more inches since then.
  • Jenskiski
    Jenskiski Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but record only on Sundays. I enjoy seeing the daily fluctuations and consider the scale an excellent way to gauge my progress or lack thereof. It may be just a number, but when you start out morbidly obese it's a pretty important number.
  • Jwanguy
    Jwanguy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie. I used to weigh myself everyday. Don't get into the habit of that because it'll only make you go crazy. Now I weigh myself once a week on Wednesday's after using the bathroom in the morning.