Need to turn my life around!

Options
So today, for the first time in my life I truly had to come out of denial in terms of how unhealthy I am. Never did I think I would find myself aged 20 in a doctors office being offered a gastric band surgery! I just wanted to cry, scream and run out the room, finally having to admit I was that heavy. I've been given 6 months to lose 20kg to avoid the gastric band which obviously I really want to acheive! I'm starting at 5 foot 6 and 110k (140lb). My end goal I've been set is to lose 50kg to be a healthy weight. I'd like to acheive that in a year if I can. If there's anyone out there who also has a lpt of weight to lose add me as a friend. I also struggle with PCOS so if any of you have that and would like to talk I would really appreciate it.

Replies

• emilator76
    emilator76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you can do this. its actually a lot of fun once you get used to it.
  • Kk2Aa
    Kk2Aa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if i'm wrong but 140 lb is not overweight?
  • kazad
    kazad Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi ya I to have pcos plus lots of meds that cause weight gain. To be honest I'm sick of trying to loose weight but I still try coz I have to do it . Good luck we can help each other xx
  • ophiure
    ophiure Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Kk2Aa wrote: »

She meant 240 lbs. 110 kg is about 242 lbs.
  • Kk2Aa
    Kk2Aa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ohh sorry I'm English work in stone and pound so even just pounds sometimes baffle me!

OP -> You can do it, just start slow and stick to the calories that this app gives you you'll be losing weight in no time!
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I was 265 pounds 5'7" and never offered a gastric band. Still being overweight sucks and I wish you all the best :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I assume you meant 242lbs.

Its possible to lose 20kg in 6 months, but you will need to take dieting seriously and consistently do it through that period. Its straightforward though.

50kg in a year seems to be a target set by yourself, so I would have it as an aspitaion as a timeline rather than an expectation. the reason being is that people often set themselves too aggressive a target and it adds to the diffciulty rather than inspiring or motivating. Focus on the 20 first and unerstand about how weight loss works and what realistic expectations are.

For general approach to dieting try
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

There are sveral pcos groups on this site as well as many mfp isers who have the same condition so get onto their friends lists.
    http://youngwomenshealth.org/2013/12/12/pcos-nutrition/
    https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/pcos

Focus on small targets such as the next 1lb and trying to be consistent in hitting your calorie goal.
    Good luck.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I concur on the easy one you get going. I started off at 530lbs and a year later am down 96 lbs. Dont get discouraged and keep working on it.
  • goingtodoit94
    goingtodoit94 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kk2Aa wrote: »

Typo ... I meant 240lb sorry!

• goingtodoit94
    goingtodoit94 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mizzzc wrote: »
    I was 265 pounds 5'7" and never offered a gastric band. Still being overweight sucks and I wish you all the best :)

I was offered one because I have an awful lot of weight related health problems
  • KarenBruck
    KarenBruck Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did 50lbs in a year but was very strict in my eating and took up running and weight training to get it off. Still have about 50 to go to be satisfied with my body.