Running motivation

Options
What it your motivation to go out and run?

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The deep seated reason is my health. I was heading towards diabetes, a disease I have witnessed others permanently lose their ability to run or even walk. Losing weight and being active is what most effectively keeps diabetes away. I look at it like I can run away from diabetes or diabetes can take away my ability to run. In the event diabetes takes hold and starts winning I may miss my mobility but by running while I can I will never regret having not run while I still could.

That's not what gets me out for each individual run though. In those cases it's usually to get it done because if I don't it may not happen and screw up my training plan. So I do it in light of a goal, like an upcoming race, or to achieve new record distances, etc.

Sometimes I run just because it's a great escape away from everything stressful or the things that seem so important. During a run the really important things come back into focus.

If there was only one reason to run I would probably get bored of doing the same thing repeatedly for just one reason.

Truth be told, there is no reason I can think of to NOT run, or make time to run.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My motivation is that it is my "me" time. It is my time to think if I want or just focus on the run. I love the feel of accomplishment even when my run is not as good as previous ones.
  • jenncalicollins617
    jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I recently quit smoking after 30 years. I wanted to be able to run so I quit & now I keep running so I won't start smoking again. Guess they are motivation for each other.
    I also love the alone, quite time & the feeling of completion after every run. And of course knowing its helping my health is great too. Especially after the touture I put it through in my younger years! ;)
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Can't run . . . yet but walking because I can. Too many years spent finding excuses because my weight made walking exhausting and painful. Because I can, I want to. Because I want to, I do. Because I do, I can do more. Because I can do more, I want to do even more. and on and on, so far!!! :) Wonderfully "vicious" cycle that needs no "motivation" other than than "because I can! " :drinker: If I HAD to do it, I doubt I would. :noway:
  • MsNeumann
    MsNeumann Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I signed up to run a half marathon in October. Then I told everyone about it on Facebook. So now I have to train for it or else I'll be very embarrassed to admit failure. That's enough motivation for me. I will say that I'm actually not minding the running so far. I might change my mind in August, but there's no turning back!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishments guys! I'm new to running and my motivation is the challenge. I am so amazed I can actually do it!
  • beccisayer
    beccisayer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chocolate! It is the one bad food I cant give up so running gives me the calorie allowance to eat it. As a bonus running takes an hour after work and I cant eat for at least two hours before i run so it stops me snacking between lunch and tea.

When I'm actually running and I hit the wall between miles 3&4 landmarks - just get to the tree/lamp post/bridge - and pride - dont stop while theres people - keep me going till I get to the final mile and the home straight.
  • Dirkums
    Dirkums Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have thought a lot on this and what I need to achieve my objectives. So, my two cents.

Motivation for weight control, exercise, and most goals are similar for me. I was always motivated by an overly competitive nature which means high and low swings and unsustainable behavioural patterns to get wherever.

My aims now are simply to hit a weight and fitness that meet my needs both health and recreational. I have been superfit and couch potatoe at various stages (now 55). Four years ago I was getting well up the field in endurance events, mostly mountain biking off road rough stuff and rather fit. Trained a lot, used a HRM like a rev counter in events, had 10% body fat blah blah. Then I got hurt, got into another hobby and put on some significant 'conditioning'. Then another midlife crisis hit and I got into dirt biking 6 months ago and had a 'big off" as they say in that sport, ie, I fell off from exhaustion. Gotta get lighter and fitter I thought lying under the bike 5 meters down a bank.

This is when I really examined my own motivation issues and future aspirations and given my age it had to be sustainable. I am a metrics nut so knowing the numbers was what I needed. I found and used mfp since January and am now back at 85kg (was 105kg at worst mid last year). I just eat much the same, just less of it. (dropped 15 kg using MFP so am a big fan)

Now, getting to the point. Being really fit, running 10 miles, 5 hour endurance races or the crazy martial arts of my youth is all well and good, but it is NOT sustainable. I finally got realistic, have NO competitive ambition (even with myself). I run 3-5 miles 2 to 3 times a week at about 6-7 mph (10kph) and its easy, stress free, and I know I can do it easily so I really dont have to force myself.

People say this is a plateau in exercise and I should push myself. Well been there, done that, and dont care. What I am saying is that I have hit a plateau I aimed for that means I dont really need much motivation. Possibly a more accurate way to put this is that I dont have any demotivation. The run is like a walk was at the start , I dont breath hard. I dont run that fast either and its only half an hour.
    I am not going to be competitive in anything, HOWEVER, I can keep my weight heading where I want it, ride my dirt bike for 3 hours in an event, (and actually enjoy it), and I dont need to recover. If I was pushing myself and training hard I just wouldnt want to do it anymore.

I also didnt push myself to get to this. I lost weight first, walked on my tread mill, then ran at 7 kph for over a month, sped up, pushed the time slowly to 30 minutes. THEN I went on the road. It was a lazy methodical way to train and I planned it that way and when I hit that fitness goal I went into cruise mode.

I am not being negative about goals based on an event. That can be great, and the reward is more than just the fitness as it was for me in events and I loved it. I am saying what works for me and suggesting that you might think on a good plateau to hit and then just cruise. If thats in your nature of course. Wow this is long. cheers.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I want to improve. That's motivation enough. Food is secondary :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    To be the best that i can be!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    1. Because I can
    2. The endorphin high
    3. Evidence of progress
    4. Shorter trip to the store
    5. Preparing for a race
    6. Running ahead to the day when weight loss won't be as easy
    7. Health
    8. Strength
    9. To make my granddaughter proud of me
    10. Vitality
    11. Fresh air
    12. Say good morning to the neighbourhood rabbit
    13. Bird song
    14. Stretch goal
    15. 2017, Canadian Death Race
    deathrace30lf1.JPG

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Short answer: vanity, health, and I like winning age group awards! :blush:
  • marinemplunkett69
    marinemplunkett69 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just felt like running Jen-nay!
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    ^ Yes, haha. I think I wanted to do it because so many people make it look easy. That might sound stupid, I know. But it drove me crazy to think that there are people who go out & run 5-10 miles for fun.

I was the girl getting winded from walking up a flight of stairs, I was a true couch potato. But if a 50, 60 year old person can do it, why can't I? I might not be fast but at least I'm working on it!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    moar food

Seriously though, I don't belong to a gym, I had to get rid of my free weights, so running is the cheapest form of exercise for me at the moment. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The feeling I know I will begin to feel about two miles in and that I will have when I am done. I like being outside and moving.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    so I don't lose the progress that I've made.

Before last year I couldn't run a minute, let alone a 10k. If I stop....it will take me weeks to gain that endurance back. I don't want to go through that again.

That and the half I'm signed up for in June....I'm SO not ready.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My mental health, nobody around me would guess that I struggle mentally but at times I do and running is my stress relief.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    More food. Hands down LOL. There are other benefits, and other things I enjoy, but I started running, and continue running, mainly so I can eat more food.