HELP! I'm always STARVING!

Options
Hey all! I've been logging my chow and exercise for almost 2 weeks now and still find that I am STARVING during the day. I had hoped it would pass as my belly adjusted to the minimizing of food, but still am having trouble. I wonder if anyone has any advise/ideas or if I just need to continue to try and be patient?

I typically try to eat every 2 hours - not too much, but more as an attempt to try and fend off the starving feeling. Usually by the end of day at work, I'm so dang hungry I could eat the steering wheel on my way home. I'm filling my day with good calories and try to get as much protein as possible, but it isn't working as wonderfully as I had hoped.

Anyone out there struggle with this? Or does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary we can help the most. What is your calorie goal?
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Also, age, sex, weight, weight loss so far, height, and activity level?
  • CaseyBowman86
    CaseyBowman86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am only on day 4 and I am with you on the hungry part! I think it's because we are burning the healthy calories instead of our body storing it as fat. I would maybe try homemade smoothies. Best of luck!
  • skinnymodel_128
    skinnymodel_128 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I read a quote that said 'you shouldn't be hungry when you're dieting. Either you're not eating enough or not eating enough protein' so try and eat a bit more or more protein and see how that works :) good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sustainable goal (1 pound a week)
    Plenty of protein and fat (change your macros to 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein)
    Eat at least half your exercise calories back
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not the type to be able to function eating every 2-3 hours? I tried it because, you know, it's One of Those Things You Do to Lose Weight, but I was constantly hungry and ended up overeating on 12 shortbread cookies (about 2400 cals). After that, I went back to how I ate meals before - small breakfast, medium lunch and supper, small snack before bed. I do best with "big" meals (500-800 cals). I'm not satisfied, but not hungry either.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Maybe you're not the type to be able to function eating every 2-3 hours? I tried it because, you know, it's One of Those Things You Do to Lose Weight, but I was constantly hungry and ended up overeating on 12 shortbread cookies (about 2400 cals). After that, I went back to how I ate meals before - small breakfast, medium lunch and supper, small snack before bed. I do best with "big" meals (500-800 cals). I'm not satisfied, but not hungry either.

This is a great point. I am a big meal plus night time snack person too. Do some experimenting to find out what works for you.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I agree with increasing your protein intake. Also eat fiber rich foods that will help keep you full longer. I think we do have to go through a little "hunger" pains (if you can even call it that). It gets better the more you get used to it. Drink plenty of water. Sometimes people confuse thirst for hunger.
  • jskyjse
    jskyjse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had to get to the three week point before I lost the starving feeling. Hang in there!
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water that fills you up or I find chewing gum as it's not always food you want just a taste
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a large part of the reason I exercise is so that I can eat more and avoid hunger.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I first started with MFP, I think it took me about 3-4 weeks to adjust. Give it another week or two. Also, try drinking more water. That can sometimes help keep away those hunger pains.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that if you aren't hungry when you are dieting, you aren't doing it right. Ideally, your body will lead you to eat at a level that would maintain a healthy weight. When we lose weight, we are eating below that level.
  • got2be160
    got2be160 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I fill my dinner plate with more veggies .......helps with the after dinner hunger !!
    Spinach salad on the side helps too
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that if you aren't hungry when you are dieting, you aren't doing it right. Ideally, your body will lead you to eat at a level that would maintain a healthy weight. When we lose weight, we are eating below that level.

wow we agree..nice.

I agree with this...I was only hungry when I was restricting to a too low of a calorie goal...once I got educated and realize I could still eat over 1200 I stopped being hungry and exercise became a way to eat my ice cream too...
  • girlviernes
    Options

I agree that we need to expect some hunger and hunger is a sign you are doing something right (if your goal is weight loss), but starving and having difficulty functioning is not necessary and probably counterproductive.

I'm in a good place with my diet when I notice some hunger about an hour before meals and for the couple hours before bed.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I agree that we need to expect some hunger and hunger is a sign you are doing something right (if your goal is weight loss), but starving and having difficulty functioning is not necessary and probably counterproductive.

I'm in a good place with my diet when I notice some hunger about an hour before meals and for the couple hours before bed.

That. But I tend to think that this is what is normal. I think that most of us used to eat so much that we avoided hunger, and that probably wasn't a healthy behavior. I tend to think, on the balance, "naturally thin" people wait to feel hungry before eating, while people with weight problems eat before they're hungry. We learn to think of hunger as an emergency. I'm learning to embrace it.

Also agreed? Being over-hungry is not good and is either a sign that you're at too aggressive a deficit or that maybe you should play around with your macros a bit, or a combination of both.

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

Same here but never noticed it until I read that :) Good advice
  • T00GlaM0r0US
    T00GlaM0r0US Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I do best with larger meals too - and I have to preplan or I will go over.

I suggest more protein OP.
  • shan11180
    shan11180 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary we can help the most. What is your calorie goal?

It's open now. :)