FRUIT AND PROTEIN

Options
Hey! I'm sure this probably gets asked in some form frequently. But how many fruits do you consume daily? I love love love fruit, but I know its pretty high carbs and sugar (the natural kind of course!). Recently I have been suffering with some severe bloating when I eat the bread and grain carbs and thus have been trying to limit those significantly.

Also, I need some ideas for lean protein snacks. I love chicken, Greek yogurt, and low fat cheese. I don't eat red meat anymore and need some snack suggestions. Thanks xoxo :smile:

Replies

• PunkyBean
    PunkyBean Posts: 1
    Options
    If breads and grains are causing bloating, you should be tested for Celiac Disease. It is very common and can cause serious health problems...

A good high protien snack is shrimp or smoked salmon.

Good luck! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I try to eat no more than 3 pieces of fruit/day, usually 2. I try to eat more veggies than fruit as they have less sugar and more nutrients.
  • gabs1981
    gabs1981 Posts: 2
    Options
    good snacks i love and dont bloat me are.....
    sugar snap peas or red or green peppers dipped in low fat homous
    light babybels light philly on dark ryvita
    low fat lean hams with philly rolled up
    sundried tomatoes
    alpen light bars
    honeydew melon
    0% total greek yogurt with blueberries & rasberries

yeah defo the grains cause bloating - try not eating those sorts of carbs after lunch it really helps xx
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    yeah, usually 2-3 but I don't stress about it too much. How is your water intake? also, do you take calcium pills at all? I found that when I was taking too much calcium at once, it was causing bloating.
  • OntheShrink
    OntheShrink Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Girl, you purchase a bag of raw chicken tenders from the grocery store and bake about 10-15 of them and then just bag them up in 3's (b/c 3 is the serving size) in sandwich bags and keep them in the fridge for a grab and go protien snack. You can pair them with some carrots and other raw veggies even fruit any time of day.
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I eat like 3-5 pieces of fruit a day. LOL. I don't care. It's better than a bag of chips and I'm not going to feel bad about it. Fruit is supposed to be good for women who are trying to lose weight anyways. :D
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I, too, love fruit, but too much of anything can be a bad thing. I think the suggested range is 2-3 servings per day. Berries are a good option because they are lower in sugar and higher in antioxidants than their thick-skinned, high sugar friends (i.e. bananas, oranges, pineapple, etc). But again, all those fruits are okay in moderation.

I went on a detox recently that had me eating tons of leafy greens and lean proteins and had me fast from fruit, sugar, starchy vegetables, and grains (especially wheat) for 2 weeks. Life changing. Sugar and wheat make me bloated and uncomfortable, so I decided to make an effort to lower or eliminate my consumption of either.

Nuts and fresh berries are a great snack. 1 tablespoon of all natural peanut butter on a rice cake is another favorite snack. Cottage cheese and tomatoes is super filling so I even eat that as my lunch on occasion. Sliced ham with cream cheese rolled up. Veggies dipped in hummus. Canned tuna with a little mayo and cheese on multi-grain/gluten-free crackers.

Hope these suggestions help!
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I feel ya on the bloating. I have IBS and too much wheat makes me bloat as well as too many veggies. Frustrating. Anyway...I usually eat 3 servings of fruit a day. Blueberries with my greek yogurt in th AM and either an apple or a banana with peanut butter in the PM and a frozen banana in my protein shakes after my workout. However now that summer is approaching I will be eating much more fruit. Bring on the strawberries, peaches, plums, watermelon and cantelope! I eat so light in the summer, my diet mostly consists of the fruits listed above and tomatoes and cucumbers and corn on the cob!! lol. Its never given me a problem...
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Oh and lean protein snacks. Peanut butter...I put it on apples, bananas, and brown rice cakes as someone else mentioned. String cheese and a peice of fruit or crackers...almonds and an apple....Larabars are one of my fave snacks.
  • Keemeri
    Keemeri Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi...
    I was reading your post on fruit and read you had done a detox. Do you mind if I ask what was the regiment for the detox? I've been drinking my protein shakes and even cut it down to one scoop because it was causing some cramping. I am wondering if trying a 2 week detox would help.

Thanks for your help!

Keemeri
  • dfunk06
    dfunk06 Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate all the tips and tricks :smile:

Oh and Keemeri, I mostly tried to stick to raw foods and water. I was going to do a formal clease, but decided to just upp the anty on my fiber and reduce my processed and hard to digest food. It really helped!