janique

Options
So far the best way of maintaining your weight loss is to log. But my family and friends constantly go out. For those who say "they eat what they want and still maintain" does this include going out eating and drinking socially?

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it does. As long as you're eating and drinking at a maintenance level. Keep logging
  • ImVeryAngryItsNotButter
    Options
    That depends on what you're eating and drinking when you go out. Are you going for a carb heavy meal loaded with starches and huge portions or a low cal alternative like soup & salad? Same goes with drinking, are you downing three sugar-laden strawberry daqs or a couple shots of whiskey? Portion control and doing your best to accurately log what you're putting in your body are going to be the best ways to keep track of your progress and ensure you stay on track with your goals.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yup! As the above posters mentioned, one can indulge with restraint.

I think one has to get into two mentalities no matter what phase of getting healthy they're in.

#1 - NO ONE is at the mercy of food. We are in control and we can CHOOSE what to consume and what not to consume (Mindful Eating)
    #2 - PLAN - Should be a habit perfected from losing weight. Many restaurants have menus online nowadays so instead of going with no idea have a few items picked out ahead of time, pre log them & try not to get caught up in the moment & go over your plan (Conscious Decision).

Healthy does not equate to a life long of self deprivation because THAT is just not sustainable. It's all about MINDFUL eating & CONSCIOUS decisions.

If you know you are going to go out and consume 500 calories in alcohol alone, then skip the desert. If you are going to only have one glass of wine then have that pasta. It is when we lose sight completely & revert to mindless eating where people stumble.

Best of luck to you!
  • janique20
    janique20 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was always "naturally thin" until an injury and depression (plus a scale lost in a move and not replaced!) led me to gaining weight. The process of losing that weight helped me realize why I'd been "naturally thin." I had all sorts of unconscious eating habits that kept me thin. I wasn't hungry in the morning, so I didn't eat then. I ate big, heavy meals, but I only did so once or twice a week. The rest of the time I ate lightly for lunches and dinners. I weighed myself most days and used that to cut back if I was up a pound or two. I've gone back to eating this way, and I've found it to be relatively easy to maintain at my old weight again. I can indulge when I want, but I'm aware of how often I do so. It works for me to skip breakfast and eat a light lunch, so I can have a glass of wine and a normal meal with my husband in the evening. I keep even those "normal" meals on the lighter side about five days a week, and that gives me a caloric buffer for a meal out or a nice dessert. I balance things, so if I have a cocktail and glass of wine with even a "light" meal out (because we know even small restaurant meals are rarely light!), I don't eat dessert.

My way of maintaining is not the only way, and it's probably not the best way for most to maintain. The key is to figure out what works for you. How can you make maintenance a lifestyle that works for you? You have to figure out who you can work indulgences in to a regular, reasonable life for you.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    With me, i can maintain on a decent amount of cals (for me anyway) of around 1700 throughout the week which is just under my maintainance cals.
    Then i will have any Alcohol and a Take Away or go to a Restaurant on the Saturday. Although i no longer order 900 cal Burgers or calorific Cocktails ;) (waste of calories).
    I do reign in the calories again on the Sunday though and i make sure to do 60 mins of Cardio 5-6 days a week.