Just started and am in a Wheelchair

Options
Hi, I have just signed up today, and am currently paralysed in one leg and am in a wheelchair. Does anyone else have issues to limit them on exercise? I can swim, but am unable to walk, run or bike. JO

Replies

• KathyMBragg
    KathyMBragg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use a wheelchair too.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Hi

is it permanent paralysis? For losing weight you dont need to do any exercise, just be at a calorific deficit by eating less. Calories and modertaing the amount you eat is the most important factor in weight loss, exercise can assist but its more significant for fitness. You will be able to lose your weight.

Start here for some ood information
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Swimming should be more than sufficient for cardio work or several gyms or physios would have hand bikes called krankls and rope machines which just require upper body strength. There will also be resistance exercises you cna do for upper body. At my gym theres a one legged man who still manages to keep fit. have a look on youtube for wheelchair workouts.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There's a woman in a wheelchair who shows up at my gym every day! It makes me smile to see her there. My brother is a bilateral amputee and he hits the gym daily too...he has to modify a lot of stuff, but he gets after it and looks great. Needless to say, I'm so proud of anyone who commits to a fit lifestyle despite their disability. Do swimming and maybe talk to a PT about getting a personalized upper body workout program you can do in the gym. There's lots of pulley machines you could do exercises on. And don't be afraid to ask people in the gym for help if say a pulley is out of your reach. Unless they're a total douche they'd be more than happy to help you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so that anyone can lose weight without exercising. The calorie deficit needed for weight loss is already factored into your calorie goal for the day. Exercise will earn you extra calories to eat but it's really for fitness. Kudos for planning to make it a part of your regular routine. As others have pointed out there are definitely options for working your upper body, swimming is an excellent idea. I've seen people at the half marathons I've done in wheelchairs and even a couple of people with two prosthetic lower legs. The only thing holding us back from the things we want to do is ourselves, after all. :)
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you and i admire your determination! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You can lose a lot of weight without exercise, by carefully watching your portions. MFP is great for this.

Exercise is for health and energy. I've been collecting at-home exercises that you may or may not be able to do with modification. Maybe a physiotherapist can help you come up with modifications you can do. I'm thinking any arm exercises would be great as they will also help with your wheelchair mobility.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/
  • GlassesWoman
    GlassesWoman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started a group called "Chronically Ill and working hard". You are welcome to join! I could tell you a little about myself and what is going on with exercise and doing or overdoing or underdoing it. Lol. Hope to see you there.
  • jomareewells
    jomareewells Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    MFP is set up so that anyone can lose weight without exercising. The calorie deficit needed for weight loss is already factored into your calorie goal for the day. Exercise will earn you extra calories to eat but it's really for fitness. Kudos for planning to make it a part of your regular routine. As others have pointed out there are definitely options for working your upper body, swimming is an excellent idea. I've seen people at the half marathons I've done in wheelchairs and even a couple of people with two prosthetic lower legs. The only thing holding us back from the things we want to do is ourselves, after all. :)

• jomareewells
    jomareewells Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Week one down and lost 1.8kg, feeling positive so far, hard not being able to exercise tho like I used to before wheel chair
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    During the 2012 Paralympics I constantly blown away by how strong and fit people could become despite a range of disabilities. It certainly puts my excuses for missing exercise into perspective...
  • Land_Rocket
    Land_Rocket Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I can assure you, NOTHING can stop you reaching your goal.

Keep thinking positive. Determination will = results! :)
  • janeh1959
    janeh1959 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello I also have very limited mobility I have to use crutches, so cannot exercise much as I have a damaged knee due to replacement going wrong and I also have fibro so let's hope we can do it without exercise x
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Here is some exercises!! http://darebee.com/workouts/superx-workout.html
    You can also add weights too!!
  • Land_Rocket
    Land_Rocket Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have started a group on here, in response to another thread.

If anybody is interested in joining, please feel free...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105886-diet-and-disability