New FitBit (Charge HR) Question

Options
I tried posting this in the FitBit group but it doesn't seem to be too active there so I thought I should try here...

I got my Charge HR. I am confused by one thing... I don't understand this?

'Record start times for all cardio exercises: In order for your Fitbit tracker to accurately calculate your calorie burn, you'll need to record a start time for all cardio exercises you log on MyFitnessPal. If you use a MyFitnessPal mobile app, make sure you update to the latest version so that you can record start times from the app as well.'

I don't get it. Are they saying I have to enter a start time on MFP every time I head out for a walk?

Also, on the FitBit site it says 'Start and stop exercise tracking on your Charge HR by holding down the button until it vibrates.If you track outdoor exercise with the Fitbit app, you can also get summaries of your pace, heart rate zones, and routes. To do this, open your app, go to Exercise, and then tap on the stopwatch icon.'

Are you supposed to tell both MFP and FitBit every time you start a walk? But, I thought it tracked all steps during the day? I'm confused...

Replies

• mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No, just if you're going to log an exercise into MFP, add the start time so that the apps can align and not count activity twice.

ETA: sometimes I'll remember to push the button, and sometimes I wont. You can always go back and add your walk if you have the start time, duration and distance.
  • BeckyD1105
    BeckyD1105 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Since I got my Charge HR, I prefer to hold the button in on it to start recording my exercise. Then I just let the data flow over to MFP.

You definitely don't want to tell MFP and Fitbit that you worked out because then you doubling up on the exercise.
  • ChrisManch
    ChrisManch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    On its own MFP doesn't know what exercise you are doing unless you log a fitness activity.

In your settings under "Fitness Profile" there is an "activity level" setting that gives MFP an estimate of your background level of activity and somewhere for you to put a guesstimate of how much exercise you intend to do, plus a weight-loss goal. It uses these along with your height, weight, gender to calculate a calorie deficit to reach your goal. These are the headline figures on the home page.

If you add in Fitbit Charge HR it measures your actual steps and heart rate 24/7 and calculates your actual activity level (well an estimate of it) so when it synch with MFP and difference between MFP's guesstimate, and FitBit's measured activity is added as an adjustment in MFP.

All the above happens without pressing any buttons.

If you press the FitBit button to start/stop an activity you get extra information, like an estimate of how many calories you burned during a walk, along with graphs of heart rate for that activity in the FitBit dashboard. This "activity" will also appear in MFP as exercise, but it would have been in the fitbit adjustment if you didn't press any buttons.

Log your food in MFP as it has a much better database of foods, and a barcode reader which makes things easier. The actual foods you ate will be logged in MFP, and the calorie and nutrient figures will synch back to FitBit dashboard without logging the actual food types.

If you do something like going for a swim, you can't wear your FitBit, so you need to log this manually in MFP.

I use the MapMyWalk app on my phone to log walks, this logs your route as a map, and start/stop times, and all this synchs to FitBit and MFP, so it appears in MFP as calories expended, and FitBit produces a nice graph of heart rate and calories per minute which adds to your motivation, but if you didn't FitBit would still log it along with your all-day activity in the FitBit adjustment sent to MFP.

So, in summary, just wearing your FitBit will log your activity during the day and pass it to MFP so your calorie estimate should be the correct regardless. Pressing the start/stop button, or using another app like MayMyWalk will create an "activity" with extra information like a graph of heart rate/calories burned which is motivating. You should never have to log an activity twice. You only need to manually log activities you can't wear your FitBit for.
  • akdetweiler
    akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have Charge HR. I do not track any of my exercise on MFP anymore. All I do to track exercise on FB is to hold down the button when I start a workout and end it, then it shows up on the Workout portion of my FB dashboard. Technically, you don't even have to do this, as FB will just send over your adjustment for the whole day to MFP. But I like to keep track of how many exercise calories I am burning. It is a bit confusing at first but works great once you get going on it!

You might also have to play with your adjustment a little. I originally had my MFP daily activity set to sedentary, but I was getting huge exercise adjustments, once I set my daily activity to lightly active, I got much better adjustments, and they were pretty much consistent with just the exercise I was doing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'll add another piece to the equation - other apps. I use Runkeeper to track outdoor activities (hiking, walking, running).

Here's how it works... IF you log activity on MFP with an app that knows the start time (like Runkeeper), then it will calculate calorie adjustments properly.

IF you log activity on MFP manually, then you need to set a start time in order to calculate calorie adjustments properly.

Fitbit sends to MFP with times included in the data file. Let's say that you logged an activity of hiking w/ 15-20 lb. pack starting at 1:12pm for 68 min. and calories burned are 450. When Fitbit sends the data, it knows how many steps you took, but doesn't know that you were carrying a pack. So let's say Fitbit thinks you burned 390 calories during that time. Your Fitbit calorie adjustment for just those 68 min. (390 calories) will not happen in MFP. It will instead adjust the 450 calories based on your exercise entry, and Fitbit will adjust for the other 1,372 min. of the day.

What if you don't put the right start time on your activity in MFP? Let's say you were sleeping and not moving from midnight to 1:07am, but you put your hike in at 12am and MFP calculated 450 calories. Fitbit calculated 390 calories from 1:12pm to 2:19pm. Assuming no other Fitbit activity, you will have 840 calories from exercise for the day (450 manual entry + 390 Fitbit)... which is wrong. Without knowing the time you started your activity, MFP cannot adjust the Fitbit data that comes in and calculate your calories burned properly.

The easier way is, if there is no other purpose to log activities manually on MFP, then don't. Some of us use apps that log to MFP, and there is value to using Runkeeper. But just as it is important to weigh most of your food to log calories in properly, it is also important to understand your tools to record calories out properly.
  • LisaMighton
    LisaMighton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Holy moly confusing to me
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Holy moly confusing to me

If you can't understand that, then just don't log activities on MFP. Connect Fitbit and use the calorie adjustments that come from Fitbit.