Bootcamp and Strength Training

Options
I want to add strength training to my workout routine - I already do 45 min of bootcamp 3 times a week. My question is will 2 days of strength be enough? Any suggestions on for a 2 day plan? My overall goal is to lose weight and get stronger.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    How much strength training are you doing during these bootcamps?

Yes, two days can be enough. Depending on how you answer the above question, it might be too much.

Weight loss comes from what and how much you eat. Strength training while on a calorie deficit will help you retain muscle and gain strength. I always recommend heavy, compound movements for new to intermediate trainees. Look at New Rules of Lifting for Women or strong lifts. Both are decent programs (one from a book, the other a website).

• marilync1266
    marilync1266 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm following the 40-30-30 plan for eating. I don't mind losing weight slow - I would like to lose 30-35 lbs within the next 6 months. I'm really interested in gaining muscle, losing body fat and getting stronger - I have to modify some of the exercises in bootcamp because of my upper body strength!

In bootcamp, we do mostly body weight exercises. Once or twice a week kettlebell swings is added to the workout or exercises with the rings and medicine ball. I've heard of the New Rules of Lifting - I will give that a try.

Thanks for your feedback!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I do bootcamp style workouts a few times a week and I do weights on my own about three times a week. We do use resistance in class also but I feel for myself the combination of the HIIT style bootcamps along with my lifting program is giving me the results I want.

I think bodweight exercises are great. I know I have noticed improved in my weights because they are a big part of my routine. Good luck.
  • marilync1266
    marilync1266 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That sounds great. I plan to start off by adding 2 days of strength and continue doing 3 days of crossfit bootcamp. I love the HIIT classes! Thanks for the feedback.