How did you come up with your calorie goal!?

Options
Amanda82691
Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
Hey everyone! I know everyone has a different goal (s) and different paths to get there. I'm curious to know where and how you came to your calorie goal for everyday? Who's method or calculations do you use and trust and why? There is just so much information out there I've learned and everyone does things differently so I'd love to know! :) Happy Thursday everyone!

Replies

• theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I let MFP do mine. I told it what I weigh, how much I wanted to lose and how quickly I want to lose it. They did the calculations and come up with 1680 calories per day. That's what I use.

I know that there is a calculation you can do yourself, but I don't know exactly what it is.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I did the same, used MFP to calculate my calorie intake and talked to a trainer at the gym to make sure it was sufficient for what I'm doing in my exercise routine.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I also let MFP do my calculations. I've been really successful following it too, 12 lbs since April 2!
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just let MFP calculate for me. They must know what they're doing, I've lost almost 40 pounds in just over 3 months. :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I let MFP do mine in the beginning but when I helped some friends get on here I thought some of the numbers being given out were awfully low, particularly for short women getting 1200 over and over. I switched to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and have used it ever since recalculating every 5 lbs
  • inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I purchased a few beach body products to workout with, TurboFire and 21 Day Fix (absolutely loving them btw) and they both came with a book that has the calculations in it to find my daily calorie goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I put all of my information into this calculator and selected a reasonable rate of loss...that's what this calculator does...it calculates your goal based on all that data.
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    theston412 wrote: »
    I let MFP do mine. I told it what I weigh, how much I wanted to lose and how quickly I want to lose it. They did the calculations and come up with 1680 calories per day. That's what I use.

I know that there is a calculation you can do yourself, but I don't know exactly what it is.

This :)
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Scooby
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I follow TDEE method. I used Scooby's TDEE calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/), put MFP on moderately active so it's a close match, and told MFP I wanted a .5#/loss per week.
  • JustNichol
    JustNichol Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    I let MFP do mine in the beginning but when I helped some friends get on here I thought some of the numbers being given out were awfully low, particularly for short women getting 1200 over and over. I switched to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and have used it ever since recalculating every 5 lbs

this is what I use too, I kept getting 1200 and I don't lose at that little, when I get close to what the Scooby calculator says I drop regularly. Mainly I worry about what TYPE of foods I'm eating, I try to stay 90% clean and very little processed and fast foods. There's so much info it's overwhelming!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Scooby with a 20% deficit, then 15% as I got 5 pounds from my goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Started with MFP (including eating back exercise calories--my base was 1200, but I changed that to 1250 and obviously once I included exercise calories it was higher), and eventually increased my base to 1400 (+extra exercise calories on more active days) when I realized I was reasonably active every day and then let the rate of loss decline a bit. When I was around 1-1.5 lb/week I switched to TDEE calculated based on my results here, fiddled with it a bit with the intention of doing about 1 lb/week, and that was that.

Now I'm going back and forth between doing a small (.5 lb/week) deficit and finding maintenance (I'm about 5 lbs from goal).
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    I switched to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and have used it ever since recalculating every 5 lbs

I also use this calculator. I set it to "Desk job with no exercise" so that it does not allot me any additional 'exercise calories'. Even though I do typically workout consistently I like to input exercise myself and then decide if I wish to eat those calories or not.**

With my stats it calculates that I can eat 1570 cals a day to maintain. -15% would be 1335, and -10%, 1413 calories. So I shoot for 1400. (**I'm usually a little over, so I typically don't eat back exercise calories.)