Eat lunch at Hospital cafeteria

Options
I have been eating lunch at my local hospital cafeteria a lot lately (it is open to the public). As an example, today's lunch was a chicken breast franchese (whatever that means it tasted good), green beans oregano, and roasted zucchini. Total calories: 285 and it tasted great, and it was less than $5 for the meal. Check it out if you are looking for a healthy alternative to fast food.

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Willfully eat hospital food? :s
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The last time I was in the hospital (2013), they did not have anything like what you are describing. I remember eating pancakes and chicken strips.

Driving to the hospital, parking in the ramp, making my way through the building to the cafeteria.....this seems like it would take up a lot of time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I loved the food when I was in the hospital after having my daughter. They had a great menu. I never went into the cafeteria but the food for inmates patients was good :)
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital so quite often have to eat the food, and it's the most unhealthy mess of processed crap ever. Sometimes i think mcDonalds does a better job at serving food.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I've worked in a hospital and the food there was actually pretty great. The shifts were twelve to sixteen hours long so I sometimes ate breakfast lunch and dinner there. They even had chefs come in and make steaks and chicken meals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

Lol
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I stayed in the hospital for two weeks in January and thought the lunches and dinners were pretty good (breakfast was usually just reheated pancakes and crap). The nutrition staff would come by and ask us patients what we wanted from the menu that day. My family complained about the cafeteria.

The living facility I was moved to for a few weeks afterward however... their food was awful. God, the spinach was the saltiest pos.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Hospital food, like airline food, is highly dependent on the specific organization where it's obtained. I'm sure OP is lucky enough to have a nearby hospital with a cafeteria that serves good and healthy food (and I'm so jealous).
  • mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh god. I was in the hospital for a couple days about 3 weeks ago. The food was horrible. Flavorless green beans that were boiled in plain water, overcooked grilled chicken that was soaked in vinegar for some odd reason, french toast with no sugar, scrambled eggs that tasted like they were boiled in water, potatoes that weren't even fully cooked.

After two disgusting meals, I just kept ordering chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese. Can't screw that up.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I loved the food when I was in the hospital after having my daughter. They had a great menu. I never went into the cafeteria but the food for inmates patients was good :)

Me too! Bearclaws for breakfast. Turkey and stuffing for supper. It was great.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I ate at the hospital cafeteria a lot last year when my mom was sick. Their food was great, but it was not helpful to me for weight loss. It was a contributing factor to me gaining back everything I had lost. (Note: I say contributing factor, not cause. The cause was me allowing circumstances to become an excuse to stop paying attention. It's just that part of the circumstances was not having a lot of control over my food options for a prolonged period of time.)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    That's really cool they put the nutrition count for you! I don't think I've been in a hospital that does that. Shoot, last time I made chicken francese it was over 280 calories for one serving alone, so they are cooking pretty healthy it sounds like!
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The local hospitals here have incredible hot chocolate, too!
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I know that hospital food has a bad reputation, and this is NOT the same food sent to patient's rooms. Sodexo is the company that runs our hospital cafeteria and usually there will be a very tasty and healthy option for each meal. I will say that the green beans always taste a bit bland (low sodium), but the zucchini is right on (my favorite side). I think it is a good option for people who are trying to eat healthy while in town, where are some other healthy options you guys have found?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I was surprised at all the good stuff my hospital had, even when I had to eat below a certain carb amount (was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at that visit). They made these killer cheese omelets that I ended up having every day for breakfast.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

yeah.......... no thanks. LOL

My grandfather spends a fair amount of time hospitalized and I get to see him eat lunch there every day he is.

I'll pass.

LOLOLOL
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! I also work at a hospital. The breakfast and lunch here, are over my food budget, and calorie budget. Cost for Taco salad and diet coke, $7.00. Calories: 490.

They actually changed the food here, when they realized long term in patients were gaining weight, eating a high carb low protein diet.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I work for Community Health but we are right next to the local hospital and are allowed to use their staff cafeteria. Always have a range of foods, GF, vegetarian, a salad bar, all for $5 Australian - great value. I just have to avoid the hot chips (fries). Usually go once a week at least.
  • Jessikin13
    Jessikin13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have Sodexo at my hospital too. Not too shabby
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I teach university. I walk over to the hospital regularly because they have a salad bar and we don't. Good stuff.