Hemp Protein vs Whey Protein

Options
I'm having difficulty getting enough protein in my diet. I was told to use hemp protein in smoothies. I did a tiny bit of research on both and it seems like a good idea. Does anyone have experience using one or both products and have any recommendations? Thanks!

Replies

• sbantonio
    sbantonio Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes, hemp works great in my Nutribullet. I use the powdered hemp and sometimes the seeds. Good plant protein source!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I haven't used whey protein but I eat hemp hearts in my smoothies and sometimes plain or on yogurt. I love them, they taste delicious and add a wonderful nuttiness to foods. Great source of protein.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I eat hemp hearts -- nice tasting. Contains a good ratio of Omega 3 to 6.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    are you sensitive to whey? yes - use hemp. no - use whey.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I like to use Sun Warrior Blend, it's Vegan and has hemp in it. I'm lactose intolerant and whey doesn't agree with me!
  • demonelle
    demonelle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a flavoured whey protein that I use when I'm out and about, and I use my hemp protein when I can be at home to make some kind of smoothie with. I wanted to stop using so much whey because I have a weird feeling it's breaking me out.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hemp's good but expensive. I got a sample pack 55g of reduced fat hemp heart powder from Rocky Mountain Grain Products in Canada (Hemp Hearts tm). You can get more info from hemphearts.com/ or ph 403-315-4154 or email roger@hemphearts.com . That way you can get your protein in and still keep calories lower to fit your macros. I also like Genuine Health's Fermented Vegan Proteins+. 20g of fully fermented dietary protein with very low fat & carb. Helps support healthy gut flora and immune system. genuinehealth.com/?ct=1 Too much of any one thing continually is not good and can cause sensitivities. I like to mix up my whey proteins and vegan proteins throughout the week.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Lats time I used Hemp I saw Leprechauns...
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

This - hemp protein is a lower quality protein - if you have no issues using whey or a complete protein, then you should use that version over hemp.
  • Lyndonbearsmommy
    Lyndonbearsmommy Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

This - hemp protein is a lower quality protein - if you have no issues using whey or a complete protein, then you should use that version over hemp.

Thank you. I don't have any sensitivities. This is the type of info I did not find and was looking for.

Thank you everyone for your answers and your help. I really appreciate it.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

What gauge of "quality" are you using to determine this ?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    As with most things it depends what your goals are.
    I prefer hemp, but I'm looking at Omegas etc. in addition to making me full longer when I have a green smoothie for breakfast.
    And the hemp tastes better.
    I don't really care about the "quality" angle that most body builders talk about.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I would just Like to know what metrics are being used to gauge quality.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    I would just Like to know what metrics are being used to gauge quality.

http://www.bradgouthrofitness.com/high-quality-protein-vs-low-quality-protein-sources/

maybe folks will start talking about high quality and low quality carbohydrates. o:)

http://energyfanatics.com/2008/10/15/high-quality-carbohydrates/
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Lats time I used Hemp I saw Leprechauns...

Sounds like a strange allergic reaction.
  • lovethepirk
    lovethepirk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am halfway thru losing 40 pounds and eat only protein powder vs meats. I love meat, but this was my fat punishment and it turned out to be a blessing. I researched each of the amino acid profiles of the powders. Hemp and Whey are both great powders. Why fight it...USE them both and mix them. Whey is faster absorbing...hemp is slower. Fantastic combo. Hemp seems to win the better amino acid profile battle...BUT Whey has more Leucine, which is best for muscle growth. I have a great recipe for the best shake you will ever have. I do three scoops of my mixture and that is 50 grams of weight. That 50 grams is made up of the following:
    7.6 grams of Hemp 70
    12.6 grams of Whey Isolate no flavoring.
    13.6 grams of Hemp Hearts
    8.9 grams of Organic Cacao Powder
    6.3 grams of Maca Root powder
    0.6 grams of stevia powder

(without banana)
    213 calories, 22 protein, 13 carbs, 11 fats

I put that 50 grams into a blender with 2 cups of water and a large handful of ice. Every 4 or so shakes I will toss in a banana...makes it taste unbelievable...I'm telling you I would rather eat this then a real milk shake, and I love milk shakes.

The polyphenols in the cacao are excellent, look up the ORAC values of the Cacao powder. I'm telling you this concoction will knock your socks off. I drink about 3 of these per day to get most of my proteins.

I have the entire amino acid profile broken down of both hemp and whey if you want it, but just mix both whey and hemp...why debate it when they are both good.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was such a thing as hemp protein powder. Now I would like to try it! especially if it has a nice flavor to it. right now I am using whey protein powder. It's affordable and has been working well.
  • lovethepirk
    Options
    The omega 6-3 profile of the hemp is really good, but I have read that the fish oil, which I don't take, has the proper longer chained fatty acids instead of the shorter omega 3 chained fatty acids that the hemp provides such as alpha-Linolenic acid which does not have the longer chained omega 3's like EPA. the ALA in hemp can turn into EPA but I tune out my brain when I read that process, plus during that process some bad enzymes can occur, but that is getting to detailed....I may do the fish oil thing once I am at the weight I want. I read barry sears books in the 90s and he is into that now due to the inflammation reduction that EPA(omega 3) provides.
  • lovethepirk
    Options
    goth...raw, non-flavored whey doesn't taste good and the same holds true for hemp. If I were to grade the taste of both alone I would side with hemp, but I mix them as shown above. The cacao powder and the stevia make them taste very good. The hemp seeds at the end of the shake add some fun. The real difference I notice with the hemp is the fullness. At first, I did only the hemp protein until I learned that whey had more leucine and I additionally thought since they are both good why not just eat them both at the same time. The price is a little in favor of whey, but if the hemp fills you up more/longer it works out. I'm 210 now 6'1 and have been eating < 2000 for a couple months with no problem at all. I eat three slices of white butterbread and 3 eggwhites in the morning, then slam a shake at 11am-ish and I have no problem going until 5pm before I even think about eating. Then I always go to sleep completely full after eating 1300 calories from 6-11pm. If I get hungry during that time, I grab a coffee or two and think about the massive amount of food I am going to clobber at night :)
This discussion has been closed.