stress+depression= sitting and not wanting to move

Options
I've had so much going on lately that I pretty much left myself go.... and then found out I have diabetes! Great! Trying to find the motivation to take care of myself but its hit after hit :/

Replies

• loribaxmann
    loribaxmann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was just told I have high cholesterol and I'm on the edge of glucose so I have been telling myself to start walking, but I use every other excuse not to go. I am giving myself 3 weeks to lose the weight by walking and diet. I refuse to go on medication when I know its because I was lazy. Start slowly...1/2 a mile and then increase when you can. I promise, you will feel better sooner than later. The only way I have ever lost weight in the past is by walking. 4 years ago, while going through a divorce, I lost 30 lbs walking off the stress. You can do it. I will try and motivate you if you want. I start walking tonight.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You need to go out and find an activity you enjoy. Dance, hiking, yoga, walking, rollerblading, swimming, whatever. Activity is going to help ease depression and stress. The activity doesn't have to be working out or something you do for a calorie burn. It just needs to be something you enjoy. Time to start taking care of yourself.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you hate it, you're going to find every excuse not to go. If you are competitive, join one of the challenges on MFP, if you want to see if you can do a 5k, get Zombies, Run 5k or Couch 2 5k (C25K) that will help you amp up. If you have a gym see if you like lifting weights, even if it's just the handheld weights. If you like nature, go outside and just take a walk.
    Getting diagnosed with diabetes is what gave me the push to start eating right, and exercising. You have to make the first move, and that's something you can do!
  • Effumandshine
    Effumandshine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful! Get yourself out there in the world and have fun! Like ^usmcmp said, find an activity that you enjoy. Shine! <3
  • juls321
    juls321 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I get like that too. Whenever I'm overwhelmed with stress I get depressed and even if I love an exercise I just can't motivate myself to do it! What helps me is listing all the stressors in my life no matter how small or silly and then work through them one by one. Figure out how to change the ones you can and if you can't change it then change your outlook about it. Once my stress goes down I find my motivation comes back naturally. *hugs*
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Life is full of hits. They do just keep coming. You can sit on the couch and wait for them, or you can get out and live your life, and deal with them when and if they come along. That's not to say that depression is not a real thing. It is. You live your life despite of it. I live that struggle too - I thought was dealing with my 'hits' of back and belly problems until a cancer diagnosis sidelined me for a while. It did throw me for a loop and depression is a struggle. I'm learning to deal and get back out there myself. Sitting on the couch is worse than getting out and living. I feel so much better when I'm moving and getting things accomplished.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it can be a self-perpetuating cycle. (I don't feel good so I don't want to move, so I don't and then I feel worse.) Whenever I start getting into those funks, I found REALLY small goals help. Do something "active" (whatever floats your boat) for 5 consecutive minutes today. If it happens great, try something slightly bigger 1min more, 5 minute more or even repeat it for a week. If not get it done tomorrow no excuses. On the diet side of things, same concept - one more veggie or fruit or one less soda or candy or leave 3 more bites of food on the plate.

As you start doing more, you'll be able and wanting to do more and the couch will be less desirable.

I found that I do better with these mini goals if I get to record it somehow. place a sticker on the calendar, journal entry, drawing on the mirror. It's usually something pretty silly but it makes me smile a little bit.

something I heard about but haven't tried. Buy yourself a silly card or gag gift or something small (nail polish, socks, fancy looking pen , whatever) you like, mail it to yourself from somewhere other than home. now you have motivation to go check the mail and then you get to use your new gift and you get fun mail.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have been in the EXACT same boat for months now. I know medication isn't what anyone wants, but are you on any anti-depressants? I just started back on one last Friday after I saw my doctor and I can already tell a difference. I feel like I have a little more energy to actually get up and do something productive. I've exercised twice this week which is unusual for me lately.

Like others have said, make small goals for yourself. Make yourself proud. It will motivate you to do it again or do more! Good luck sweetie!
  • pedrozamatt
    pedrozamatt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Letting things go is half the battle; now, consider what you can do. Take the time to reward yourself for your accomplishments with friends and family. Friend me, Anything is possible when people become passive rather than rigid.

Relax and FOCUS on getting the things you want. DREAM A LITTLE.
  • nitaaaaa
    nitaaaaa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For a long time I thought if I could just lose weight I wouldn't be so depressed. My doctor correctly pointed out that once I'm not depressed, I will more easily be able to lose weight, and she was right. Medication may or may not be the right route for you. I would take one step at a time... try to treat your mood first and as you feel better start incorporating the goals and other suggestions here to lose weight.
  • sweetpotatofries123
    sweetpotatofries123 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had let myself go for many years and now that I'm trying to heal from a painful divorce on top of everything else going on, the motivation is zippo. I really appreciate all the suggestions here. I also believe that being here and reaching out is something to feel good about. Don't discredit the good you're doing. I have found that joining a gym and telling people when I'll be taking a class or whatever is really helping me. I figure if I'm paying for the membership and people are expecting me to be there I have no choice but to go.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are going through this.There have been so many times where I said screw it and just stopped trying which is why I am where I am. I actually got really serious because my doctor put me on a low-fat diet for my health. I have to admit the past 2 weeks I haven't been doing as good as I had been, but I am re-dedicating myself tomorrow. Every day is a new day. Remember that! Also, I have to add that even though I've always loved the way I feel working out, the motivation to do so was hard until I started doing Zumba. Now I look forward to working out.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    bremyers wrote:
    I've had so much going on lately that I pretty much left myself go.... and then found out I have diabetes!
    Great! Trying to find the motivation to take care of myself but its hit after hit
    :hugs: :flowerforyou:
    Depression is such a horrid disease...
    "You're fat! You're lazy! You're a loser! You're a slug. You can't do this. Give up."
    You feel lousy, so you don't want to move and you don't have the energy even if you want to do something.
    AmIright?

Make a _small_ goal, a _small_ change. Accomplish it. Then set a slightly bigger goal.
    Walk to the end of your driveway & back today. Right now.
    Tomorrow go to the neighbor's driveway. Keep adding.
    Yes, it feels _really_ stupid at first, but you're doing something, building on it, being successful.
    When you succeed at something small, you start to think that you can succeed at something more.

When I started being serious about exercise (JAN14), I did 5 min on the treadmill at something like 2 mph.
    Took many times longer to get to/from the gym & take a shower than it did to exercise, but I did it anyway.
    The next day, I did 6 minutes. Then 7.
    Today (MAY15) I did 20 min of speed intervals (walk 3mph, jog 6mph), then 20 min of incline intervals. (Plus weightlifting.)
    Some days I've done 90 min of incline intervals, or 60 min on the elliptical, or 90 minutes riding my bike.

For many people, losing excess weight will bring diabetes under control.
    That could be a big motivator right there.

And there's no way to explain the difference so that you'll really understand it, but being active has helped me feel
    *_SO_* much better, even as I've lost weight, even though I'm not yet at a healthy weight. I have more energy, I'm
    not as down (most of the time). My self-esteem is improving, in large part because I've been successful at losing
    weight... a long-term effort, something difficult I've accomplished little by little.

Start small.
    Force yourself to walk to the end of the driveway today, even if you don't feel like it, even if your hair is a mess
    (walk at night or put on a hat), even if you do it in your slippers & jammies.
    Go do it now.
    So you've accomplished something, no matter how silly you feel, no matter how little.
    Build on that.
    For a while, it will be entirely willpower that gets you through.
    Eventually you'll feel better, you'll look back at your diary and see how you've been successful at developing a
    pattern of exercising and that will make you feel better, and you'll want to keep doing that.
    Then you'll start being successful at losing weight too.

And if you & your doctor decide to try an antidepressant for a few months, use it.
    Do whatever you can to help yourself feel better, so you can move more, lose weight, stop the diabetes.

51637601.png