Let me have it!

reddcat
reddcat Posts: 314 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok everyone! This is my latest distress call. I see all these people that are losing 6-10 pounds a week and it is driving me crazy because guess how much I lost this week.....that is right....nothing!!! EXACT same weight. Couldn't do that if I tried.

SO, I am asking for your help. Let me have it......but kindly please! Please take a look at what I am doing and what I am eating and see where I am going wrong. I am not claiming to make perfect choices....but except for one bad...VERY bad day, I think I am doing pretty good.

I am doing the 30 day shred and am on Level 1 day 10. Have lost one inch off my waist....so I guess that is something. Trying to determine why I am not losing weight...diet or exercise?? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Happy to help - but you need to make your diary public.
  • reddcat
    Sorry! thought it was. Will go in and try again!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Just wondering if you know you are eating less than 1200 calories on most days?
  • ahfudge
    ahfudge Posts: 9
    It could also be that you are gaining a bit of muscle. Without seeing your diary it is difficult to tell.

Do you drink a lot of water?
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    It makes the whole thing 10x harder if you compare yourself to other people, because you always pick the most difficult people to match up to and just feel rubbish all the time when you don't keep up!
  • reddcat
    Am I??? I go by the food net. Should I be looking at something else??? When I first started in Jan, I used to get the starvation warning all the time, but I don't get that anymore.
  • reddcat
    Diary should be public now. Let me know if it is not!
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Make sure you weigh yourself the same time everyday. I weigh myself in the morning right when I wake up.
  • reddcat
    ALL I drink is water. I added a little fruit juice a couple times this week because I ran out of fresh fruit at home. (tomorrow is shopping day).
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    i looked at your diary. Nothing is screaming out. Maybe up the veggies, and fruit, and cut down a little on the processed foods and carbs.? I would stay away from anything boxed, pre-made. It's a learning curve for sure.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    It looks like you should be eating more. I would try to eat about 5 meals a day. Also, some of your choices (fish sticks, breaded chicken, crab cakes, tater tots, etc) are fatty and have a lot of sodium. Just because something may have lower calories doesn't mean it's good for you. Yes, burning 3500 calories equals 1 pound lost, but other factors come into play also. That Bob Evans sandwich had almost 3000mg sodium. I personally think the daily allowance of 2500mg sodium is still way too much. I'm definitely not perfect in that area either (I love salt!), but I'm working on using other spices to flavor things instead of salt.
  • ahfudge
    It looks like you're eating too little.

You are netting about 1,000 calories a day? If so your body may be storing more fat because it thinks you're starving.

Question: Are you hungry? Weak? Tired?
  • reddcat
    Thanks! Can't even talk about the Bob Evans and fish stick day. SHAME. Lost my mind for a bit. Will try to eat more, but get scared when I see all the red. By the end of the day, all I have left is carbs and fat....already used up my fiber and protein. Can't figure out what to eat that is just carbs and fat.
  • 12by311
    Yes, net.
    Food - exercise = net

Yesterday your food was 1256. Your exercise was 496.
    1256 - 496 = 760

The day before your net was 1176.
    A couple of days before that it was 713.

Maybe try eating more.
  • reddcat
    Ahfuge, please tell me how you figure out my calories. Maybe that is where I am going wrong too. I always try to be over 1200 for my food calories. Like I said before, I am no longer getting the starvation warning when I do that. So thought I was doing ok. really don't know what I am doing! How do you calculate 1000??
    I am not hungry, but weak and tired is where I live. Although now that I am doing the Shred, I do have more energey. I am a stay at home mom to a four year old and probably burn WAY more calories than I can calculate chasing him all day. The database does not have a button for "dealing with four year old". Ha!
  • reddcat
    12by311, holy crap! I have been doing it all wrong. Thanks!!!! Something really bizarre about eating MORE on a diet.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Thanks! Can't even talk about the Bob Evans and fish stick day. SHAME. Lost my mind for a bit. Will try to eat more, but get scared when I see all the red. By the end of the day, all I have left is carbs and fat....already used up my fiber and protein. Can't figure out what to eat that is just carbs and fat.

Haha! Trust me...I have those days!!! Then I feel soooooo guilty afterwards!
    As far as fats...choose healthy fats like olive oil, nut butter, avocado, etc. I don't think it's a big deal to go over on fiber and protein. I do that ALL the time. Sugar is what I have a horrible time not going over. I think it's set WAY too low. Especially if you eat a lot of fruit. It's hard to think that you need to eat MORE to LOSE weight, but it's true. I had a hard time getting over that. Not to mention, I think we focus on the number on the scale WAY too much. I haven't lost any weight, but I have lost inches and toned up. I only weigh about once a week because your weight can fluctuate day to day depending on sodium intake (water retention) and such. I try to use the way my clothes fit to judge my progress. Also, take measurements of your body and track that too.
  • ahfudge
    EDIT - DUH! I see that 12by311 is a username...sorry.

Yeah - you need to factor in your exercise calories as well.

I don't understand the 12by311?
  • 12by311
    12by311, holy crap! I have been doing it all wrong. Thanks!!!! Something really bizarre about eating MORE on a diet.

You are welcome. It's okay every once in a while to not eat your minimum but when I saw your diary, that's where my concern was right off the bat.

PLUS, you said you are always chasing your 4 year old around and probably burn more calories than you realize. I bet you are right. I would try to get those calories up to your minimum. Then maybe even go up 50-100 cals or so for a while and see where your weight loss goes from there.

I think I saw on your profile you only have like 15 to lose. It's very, very difficult to get those last few pounds off! It takes some experimenting. I'm in the same position right now.
  • ahfudge
    And yeah - it is completely counter intuitive to eat more than less when you are trying to lose. But it works to do it right.
This discussion has been closed.