Any Moms Feel Guilty Exercising?

Options
itsmethao
itsmethao Posts: 39 Member
I'm a part-time working Mom of three and I always feel guilty working out since that takes precious time away from my family. One thing I'm doing to overcome this guilt is by forcing myself to exercise at 5 AM, while everyone is still asleep. It's so hard, especially after a night of multiple baby disturbances!

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I used to, but then realized my "me" time is just as important as my family time. Not that it's possible for everyone, but I made a home gym so I didn't have to go anywhere to work out. My kids are a little older though, and don't need as much attention as an infant.
  • hollyilex
    hollyilex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Taking care of your health is a benefit for your family too. Everyone need some time for themselves, and there's no point exhausting yourself and making yourself sick.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I really don't. My health and happiness has a direct impact on the health and happiness of my family. Being a mom doesn't mean everyone else in my family always comes first. I'm still a person, deserving time, effort and attention.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yeah and I get up at 4:45 almost every day to get a small workout in. I don't have enough time to do everything I want but it's better than nothing.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would try to involve my 3 yo in my nightly exercise, then my husband changed to night shift at work and I lost that time. I asked daycare about dropping both my girls off 1 hour earlier in the morning so I could workout before work, it was only $8/week more. So, now I exercise for 30-40 minutes in the morning. I do feel guilty dropping them off at daycare and going back home to exercise but I need it for my sanity and health.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hey what about us Dad's? My kids are a little older, but I still feel a little guilty when I have to leave them home at night alone, or if I'm not able to make it to a practice, because I want to get to the gym for me. It's not easy, but you have to make time for what is best for you. In the long run it is what is best for everyone!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I workout at night after the kids go to bed but yeah, I often feel guilty because that time could be used to clean or do laundry but I figure I need to exercise for my own mental health and if I'm not mentally feeling good then I will be a worse mom for it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No. Everyone needs some me time. I put my kids in babysitting at my gym and they get social interaction with other kids while I work out. Or, I take them with me to walk (6 year old on a bike, baby in a stroller). Or, you can just do a sport with the kids and that's exercise for everyone too!
  • itsmethao
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I used to, but then realized my "me" time is just as important as my family time. Not that it's possible for everyone, but I made a home gym so I didn't have to go anywhere to work out. My kids are a little older though, and don't need as much attention as an infant.

Here's to hoping that it'll be easier when my little ones are older. :)
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    never. i see it as "me" time. i dedicate all other time to my family and i also deserve some time for myself. nothing to be guilty over....it's not like you're leaving them hungry and alone :)

in fact, my husband and i make sure that everyone gets activity in. he cycles on saturdays and evenings, i have my own workouts during the day/on sundays and our daughter has swimming, muay thai and dance throughout the week.
  • itsmethao
    Options
    Thanks Mommies and Daddies for your support! I'll do my best to enjoy my "me" time. :)
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    By taking care of yourself you are taking care of your family. You are also setting the best possible example for your kids on how to live a long and healthy life.
  • abbyglidden1
    abbyglidden1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel so guilty too! I work 40+hours a week so I force myself up at 4am three-four days a week to drive to the gym to get a work out in before driving home to get everyone ready and back out of the house by 7am. It sucks- the days I dont go to the gym I miss family time to get a walk in but I know in the end when I reach my goal weight I will feel better and be a better mom (more energy to play and keep up with them)so im making the short (hopefully) term loss for the long term gain (again hopefully! ) my toddler still gets up at night so I feel your pain on a severe lack of sleep some nights! Try it with a four am workout followed by 8 hrs at work! Blah
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    By taking care of yourself you are taking care of your family. You are also setting the best possible example for your kids on how to live a long and healthy life.
    +1

• jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes! And it's not just the family time I feel guilty for missing, it's all the "to-do" list (both home and work) as well... So like many of you, I get up early before my family is up and it's the ONLY way I've been able to workput consistently. 5 days/week x 30 mins and I am loving it! However I did fail at getting up 2 mornings this week with a sick child and grandmother in poor health --- so then I feel guilty for that too! Bah!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I saw a show, "My Strange Addiction", the Mother in the show was addicted to exercise, her son broke his arm, she went to the gym, told him that her staying home wouldn't make it better or change anything.

Interesting logic. True, but not something I could ever do...and if you are not doing that...I think you are okay. Mom's love guilt.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    On weekdays I have a small window to workout when my husband takes the kids to school and before I leave for work. It is glorious. I am fortunate to only work 30 hours so I can get home with them by 5. On the weekends I do sometimes feel guilty taking a long run while they are home but it really is the only me time most weekends. I try to just do it and not think about what the kids are doing. Besides they deserve some quality time with daddy so it's fine.
  • Cantstopmyshine1993
    Cantstopmyshine1993 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I Am a stay at home mom of 2. 15 months & 1 1/2 months. I do T25 when my kids take a nap during the day so they don't even know I do it (: