Muscle aches (not soreness) and very slow progress

Options
Hi everyone. I've been working out now since December 2014. Started with Leslie Sansone (cardio) DVDs and gave recently started more strength training (Kathy Smith). I do cardio 30-60 minutes 4 days a week and strength 30-40 minutes 2 days per week. I'm losing weight slowly but steadily, and am finally starting to see a change in my body after starting strength training. Also, I'm at 1680 net cals per day and I currently weigh 208 at 5'6".

I have 2 "issues":

1. In the last week or so, I've noticed an achiness that's not the usual post-workout "omg steps are evil and I can't sit down" but rather more like the aches you get when you have the flu or teenage growing pains or the way my arm would feel if my tendonitis was flaring up. Am I doing something wrong? Like maybe not wrestling enough protein afterwards or something? This pain is keeping me up at night.

2. I understand the scale isn't the best indicator, and that's even been going down steadily since I started counting calories (~ 3 months ago), but my progress seems really slow. I was a size 18 pants when I started and am still an 18 albeit a looser 18. My boobs are shrinking too, but I guess with how oversight I was/am I thought I'd lose a little faster in the beginning. Am I doing something wrong or should I just keep on tricking and accept even small but steady progress?

Thanks for reading and any advice you have to offer :)

Replies

• muddslider98
    muddslider98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Excuse any weirdness, I'm typing on my phone. Meant eating protein not wrestling it ;)
  • muddslider98
    Options
    Oversight = overweight.
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch? That might help. Or, cut back your intensity to see if you feel less achey. Also - push the water. If you don't improve, best to see a doctor.
    I get this way, but I have a medical condition.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've been working out now since December 2014. Started with Leslie Sansone (cardio) DVDs and gave recently started more strength training (Kathy Smith). I do cardio 30-60 minutes 4 days a week and strength 30-40 minutes 2 days per week. I'm losing weight slowly but steadily, and am finally starting to see a change in my body after starting strength training. Also, I'm at 1680 net cals per day and I currently weigh 208 at 5'6".

I have 2 "issues":

1. In the last week or so, I've noticed an achiness that's not the usual post-workout "omg steps are evil and I can't sit down" but rather more like the aches you get when you have the flu or teenage growing pains or the way my arm would feel if my tendonitis was flaring up. Am I doing something wrong? Like maybe not wrestling enough protein afterwards or something? This pain is keeping me up at night.

2. I understand the scale isn't the best indicator, and that's even been going down steadily since I started counting calories (~ 3 months ago), but my progress seems really slow. I was a size 18 pants when I started and am still an 18 albeit a looser 18. My boobs are shrinking too, but I guess with how oversight I was/am I thought I'd lose a little faster in the beginning. Am I doing something wrong or should I just keep on tricking and accept even small but steady progress?

Thanks for reading and any advice you have to offer :)
    As for the achiness - take it easy for a week. Maybe you're fighting something. I had that achiness once, while everyone else was sick, and it went away by resting more.
  • bjorngjoni
    bjorngjoni Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since it's keeping you up at night, it sounds like you've got yourself quite the injury. You should speak to a doctor. In my experience, pinpoint which exercise causes you the most pain and avoid it and any exercise targeting that muscle for a while. We're possibly talking months; my last relatively minor shoulder injury took me out of my usual routine for 4 months. Best of luck!
  • muddslider98
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't think its an injury, I ache all over, though its strongest in my legs. I definitely drink plenty of water (about 100+ oz per day). I do the stretches in the DVDs, plus a few of my own. I'm thinking it could be related to that time of month.