juicer calories

Options
How do you determine the calories of a home made juice in a juicer. Does each fruit/veggy keep its calorie value or since the meat of them is filtered out is the calories less?

Todays juice was 4 carrots and 10 strawberries (medium size) how would I track that?

Replies

• illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, go ahead and track them as the full veggie/fruit. If you're trying to gain weight, then maybe count them as half? It's hard to say. From my very limited understanding of what juicing leaves out, it's mostly fiber, which your body doesn't really absorb anyway.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would track the whole fruit or vegetable whether you use a juicer that removes the pulp or a blender that makes more of a smoothie and retains the pulp. But your fiber intake will be missing if you drink the juice without the pulp. It's actually healthier to make smoothies and keep the pulp. Fewer calories too. Since you tend to use fewer whole fruits and veggies (with water added to thin) to get a satisfying drink/portion.
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Whenever I juice I calculate the calories and just subtract the calories from the fiber. So if the recipe is 17 grams of fiber 17*4=68 calories. Subtract that from the total calories from the recipe. Whenever I have done that it always matches the caloric amounts given on websites with official nutrition information (I took recipes and tried this method then compared to the official amounts). Good luck! :smile:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    If you're trying to lose weight, go ahead and track them as the full veggie/fruit. If you're trying to gain weight, then maybe count them as half? It's hard to say. From my very limited understanding of what juicing leaves out, it's mostly fiber, which your body doesn't really absorb anyway.
    Exactly this.
  • snickers6486
    snickers6486 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Check out juicerecipes.com they show you the calories for juice and whole fruit/vegie for each recipe.