Foods to make you feel full longer

Options
Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice with my food intake. My days are long....up at 03:30 and to bed around 10pm. I'm finding that I'm having a hard time staying within my calorie goals for the day. My recommended intake is 1350, and my weekdays are pretty much a carbon copy of one another:
- Wake up
- Hit the gym
- Start work at 6 and have a small breakfast. Typically some oatmeal and an apple. I have a hard time with eating food early in the day (always have) but I don't feel sick after this meal.
- Snack sometime before 11, usually some fruit
- Lunch at 11ish. Typically home made chicken soup (chicken, celery, onions, carrots, mushrooms, spinach)... And some watermelon (2 cups). Maybe an applesauce or two.
- Snack when I get home, usually celery and some PB
- Dinner. Typically chicken, and veggies I eat around 6...

I may have a snack before bed, if needed.

Any suggestions on how to tweak this to help me feel full longer? If I stick to the above, I stay within my goals....I'm not sure what to switch up and still stay within my goals.

Thanks.

(PS, I can't do nuts or fish)

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Protein. Protein sticks with you longer than carbs.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Proteins and fats are meant to help with staying full.
    Lentils, eggs, Greek yogurt etc
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Look at when you're eating and when you are naturally hungry. Mix up your frequency and size of meals to see what works best for you. Everyone is different. If you don't like to eat in the morning - don't!

If you need some fuel after your gym session in the morning perhaps try a protein shake or a smoothie, but don't worry about 'needing' to eat breakfast.

More protein will help most people feel full for longer, and don't be afraid to add some potato (one of the most satiating foods on the planet). Beans/pulses/lentils are also great for keeping you full, as does anything with a decent amount of insoluble fibre.

Your overall intake seems pretty solid, but with such a low calorie count you might want to consider trading the PB for something a little less calorie dense (unless you love it of course).

Just remember there's no such thing as an ideal eating plan. Stick within your caloric limits, get as many veggies as you can, and a decent amount of protein and some omega-3's and you're golden. :)
  • AndySantiago
    AndySantiago Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Make sure you are eating whole-some quality foods (potatoes, brown rice, beans etc.) foods like these are full of fiber which will help curve your appetite so you don't feel hungry. Hope this helps!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Avocados, bananas, pistachios, Greek yogurt, whole grain bread, boiled eggs, and beans with rice are some of the foods that keep me full.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 3:30 and am up as long as you everyday. For ME, I find the earlier in the day I eat, the hungrier I am throughout, so I try not to eat until about 10-10:30 a.m. I gym at 5 a.m. I also find if I eat protein in the a.m., I'm sated longer. Somedays, I will have Greek yogurt with nuts and some fruit in it. Remember, fats and protein keep you sated.
  • ambersanford204
    ambersanford204 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I noticed you typically eat a lot of fruit during the day - an apple, fruit for a snack, applesauce. I don't eat a ton of fruit so when I do, I notice that it ALWAYS makes me feel hungrier! Whenever I eat an apple, I feel like I need to eat something else right afterwards. Therefore, I do not eat apples. I would maybe try something different like eggs, potatoes, maybe a healthy hash? I believe there have been studies that suggest that eating fruit, which contains fructose, makes your brain think you are hungry.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Add fat free cottage cheese to the fruit at snack. The protein helps curb your appetite and the calcium is good for your bones.
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Beans seem to keep me really full. Also, fried potatoes.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    +1 on the "fats & protein" bandwagon, as well as increasing fiber.
    How about hard-boiled eggs as a healthy, high-protein, portable snack?

Also consider that things which have more water & weigh more will tell your stomach there's more food present.
    So lots of veggies, fruits like apples, pears, bananas, melons, berries (though the sugar is higher in fruits; see where
    you can substitute vegetables and spend fewer calories).
    Your soup is good.

Can't do nuts... can you do beans? Have you considered swapping the peanut butter for hummus? You'd get more
    volume, more fiber, for the same calories. Use baby carrots, sliced bell pepper or zucchini, your celery...
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've recently started adding more fats to my diet. I could never justify adding such a small amount of fat for a large amount of calories but I was never full either and I ate a ton of protein. After adding a good serving of fat with each meal I am feeling so much better these days.
  • BaranVonCoop
    BaranVonCoop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is all great advice and I am compiling my shopping list for next week right now. I have added some Greek Yogurt, eggs and more to the list.

Thanks everyone!!!
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Add fat free cottage cheese to the fruit at snack. The protein helps curb your appetite and the calcium is good for your bones.

I sort of agree. I say replace one of your fruit servings with this and do full fat. Fat and protien keep you full!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try a more substantial soup like a borscht or "cream" style soup (blended peppers and tomatoes). Try chia soaked in milk or yogurt at breakfast. You can add it to your oatmeal. Fats help. If nuts are out, try an olive oil based dressing or dip.