Zumba and flat feet

Options
I recently strted the Zumba for Kinect I did a tutorial last week and decided to try a class tonight, i love it, but I find it just kills my feet. Maybe because I feel like I'm on my toes a lot. I have flat feel, pretty much no arch, does anyone else have this problem? I tred barefoot and with running shoes.

Replies

• crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    insoles.... best thing to do. I have the same issue.
  • CassandraD82
    CassandraD82 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I have arches that pretty much disappear when I put pressure on my feet (like in exercise). I was under the impression that flat-feeted people usually didn't experience much foot pain because there's no change when pressure is applied.

Do your feet give you problems when you go running in your normal trainers/sneakers? If not then it might be something specific to dance or aerobics.

Time for new shoes? :P
  • EllieHall
    EllieHall Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba about 9 weeks three times a week. I love it! My instructor got us some slip on sliders to put over our running shoes so instead of gripping our shoes slide better. It has helped me ALOT!

SN: What do you think about the Zumba for Kinect? Thinking about asking for it for Mothers Day. :)
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and went to GP about it and he recommended wearing running shoes that were made for low arches and I have to admit not had any foot pain since I bought them and they only cost £40.
  • traciemaurie
    Options
    I have the same problem.

I tried three different kinds of shoes for Zumba.

1.) Old Keds with the treads pretty well worn down. These were OK, but still were kind of sticky for lateral Zumba moves.
    2.) Nike Musiques, which a lot of Zumba people swear by. These things felt good for about 10 minutes and the turning points helped with lateral transitions, but after a few minutes my feet and ankles killed me so much I had to take them off to finish the class.
    3.) Capezio dance sneakers. Sleek, slippery bottoms that slide so nicely on the floor. But there's zero arch support. (Really just material between the toe and heel sections.) Great for slide action, but these hurt my feet too. I can go about a 40 minutes though before I really start to be in agony and then I just grin and bear it for the last 20 minutes.
  • traciemaurie
    Options
    Eureka!! I took a yoga class immediately before Zumba, and I mentioned to the instructor that my flat feet give me trouble. She incorporated some foot stretches into the yoga class. I thought they were pretty silly and I was doubtful they'd make a difference, but then I got through the Zumba class with hardly any pain. For the first time I felt like I could keep going after the class ended.
  • mungojerrie
    Options
    I have fallen arches too (the arch slumps down when I stand and step). I've actually cried because all I want to do is run, but every time I do I get intense pain from shin splints.

Zumba doesn't bother me in that aspect, and the shoes I wear are Asics Gel-1160. They're made for people with low/fallen arches. They aren't supportive enough for me to run, but they're GREAT for Zumba.
  • LaDawn74
    LaDawn74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too...I have New Balance Motion Control. I'm going to get some dance shoes.....or lighter tennis shoes and see if that helps while doing Zumba.
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Tracie-I have the same problem. Any way I might be able to get those stretching exercises from you?

As for my feet, I have arches but they disappear when I step down. Which puts me in pain because of the pulling on my tendons. I went to my chiropractor and got fitted for orthotics. It has helped but still can get a lot of pain depending on the type of routines we do that day. I know a lot of people have had success with the new insoles where you step on the machine and it tells you which ones will work best. I think it's Scholl's and I know they have them at Walmart. I will say both my chiropractor and foot doctor said not to waste your time with most over the counter insoles because they are too flimsy and don't have enough support.
  • traciemaurie
    Options
    Hi Boo Bear.

I don't know if I can explain the exercises very well, but I will try. (Or maybe you can find a better explanation for them online.)

1.) Lace your fingers through the toes of one foot, ie finger-toe,finger-toe-finger-toe, and then you move your hand in a circle to stretch your arches and loosen things up. Then go in the other direction. Do this for at least a minute for each foot.
    2.) Sit in a chair or on the floor with feet flat on the floor. Then lift your toes, keeping your heels on the floor and spread out your toes if you can, which my instructor called "yoga toes." (Some people in my yoga class couldn't do this.) After at least 15 seconds, put your toes back on the floor and lift your heels. This time scrunch up your toes together almost as if you are trying to pick up something with your toes. Do this for at least 15 seconds. Repeat a few times.
    3.) Still sitting, put your feet flat on the floor and turn your ankles out so that your heels are touching and your toes are as far apart as possible. After 15+ seconds, reverse that move by making a V with your feet -- that is, with ankles close together and toes as far apart as possible. Repeat.
    4.) Then point toes as much as you can and hold for 15+ seconds. (My feet are so flate I can't really point them.) Then flex feet as much as you can and hold for 15+ seconds. Repeat.

Then you can repeat steps 2-4 lying down with your knees up and your feet on the floor.

It helps me somewhat.

I also just recently bought off-the-shelf orthotics. I'm not quite sure yet if they're worth the 50 bucks. Tonight will be my first time trying to Zumba with them. I'll post tomorrow to let you know how it goes.
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think my arches are fine, but I used to get a crazy burning in my feet during Zumba, like they were about to explode. It was awful!