Under calories but not meeting nutrition goals

Options
Hi all!
So I am keeping under my calories, but my nutrition goals are all messed up. I am over in sodium almost always no matter what I eat [not a huge deal for me] but under in protein, carbs, and sugars. I didn't think I ate too unbalanced, but apparently I do!
Any help on snacks or food that can pack a punch with protein or carbs without adding a bunch of numbers to fat, sugars, calories, or the other categories?

Replies

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Beans, peas, edamame, lentils! Legumes are high in protein and carbs--fat and sodium content will depend on how you prepare them.
  • elisenolan7
    elisenolan7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here - I am usually under in calories, protein, and fats, but over in carbs and sugars. Would love to hear of some good snacks for vegetarians that contain more protein and less sugar.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you want vegetarian protein and fats, perhaps nuts and seeds? If you eat dairy, try some cheese or greek yogurt, too. Eggs cooked in butter = fat and protein, very little carbs.

I'm mostly vegan so my biggest sources of protein are soy products and beans; fat from avocado, cooking oil (olive, walnut, canola, sesame, coconut... I have a collection!), nuts/seeds and an occasional treat of some high quality dark chocolate (yum). Carbs I don't worry about, I easily get those.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,612 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, low fat cottage cheese, water packed tuna - by combining these with things like mayo, mustard, chopped onion, you can make various dips and spreads out of these and they are very filling. Try spreading on toasted, high fiber English muffins. Protein and fiber together will really help you feel full.
  • ambersanford204
    ambersanford204 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yum, great ideas! Thank you all. I have a bunch of duck eggs I don't know what to do with - hard-boiled egg salad on some toast sounds pretty yummy!