When logging pizza.....

Options
ok, raaaaaandom.....
I went to a pizza place last night. Their website said that one slice of pizza was 1/12 of a pizza, meaning cut in triangles, you'd think. The pizza was served cut into squares. Am I correct in assuming their site means their pizzas are supposed to be cut into triangles?
Most will probably say, who cares, make your best guess.....which is what I did. But I'm trying to be really accurate right now and figure all this out!

Replies

• doylejohnpaul787
    doylejohnpaul787 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. In Italy, most bakers who sell pizza make it in rectangular trays and cut it into squares.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    Why would 1/12 of a pizza mean that it had to be cut into triangles?

I would presume that meant that the rectangular pizza was cut into 12 squares and that 1/12 is one square.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I would presume that meant that the rectangular pizza was cut into 12 squares and that 1/12 is one square.

Yep
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Smarts
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    1/12 of a pizza means that the pizza should be cut into 12 pieces. It doesn't matter what the shape of the pieces is.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is talking about a round pizza that's cut into squares (the local chains here all do it, but they don't post nutritional info).

I would contact them to see what they say, since squares still give you those really tiny triangular pieces and can be skewed.
  • caaber01
    caaber01 Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lol it wasn't rectangular. It was round. But cut "party style" into waaaay more than twelve slices, although their site claimed there were 12 slices. If anyone is familiar with Larosa's - that was the place.
  • doylejohnpaul787
    doylejohnpaul787 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    "although their site claimed there were 12 slices" ... more probably their site gave the nutritional value of a slice which represented 1/12 of a pizza. Not that every pizza would be cut into exactly 12 pieces.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    caaber01 wrote: »
    Lol it wasn't rectangular. It was round. But cut "party style" into waaaay more than twelve slices, although their site claimed there were 12 slices. If anyone is familiar with Larosa's - that was the place.

Huh, the only times I've had Larosa's (I'm in Dayton and I was talking about Marion's/Cassanno's in my previous reply) that was in squares was when I got their focaccia pizzas. If you can remember how many squares you had compared to how many there were total (I'd assume 16-24 depending on what size), that's going to be it.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You are overthinking this way too much. It's not a question of "being really accurate right now" --- each pizza is made by a different person ... what is the website data was based on 40 pieces of pepperoni and the guy who made your pizza used 50? What if they used 2 cups of cheese instead of 2.5?
    Trying to be accurate with restaurant pizza is a fool's errand.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Figure out what the total count for the whole pizza is, than divide that into how many slices you got??
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Ok I got it. Multiply their theoretical slice by 12. that's the whole thing. Then divide that number by the actual number of pieces.
  • caaber01
    caaber01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    "A fool's errand" - oh, so, sweet and helpful! :*
    Thanks so much to those of you who offered helpful insight! I'll definitely just count slices and figure 1/12 from now on :)
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    lol go you! I cannot indulge on pasta/pizza varieties - any of these things are like 1000+kcal for full belly feeling! A slice won't cut it for me (maybe 4/5) :open_mouth:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You're more likely to get an accurate calorie count from a larger chain than a local business. Anyway, I would make my best guess and move on. If it ends up showing on the scale, just lose the weight later.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

A pizza cut into 12 triangle slices would be silly I think. The centre would be cut so thin it would probably stay in the box.

1/12 as a square should be the same as 1/12 as a triangle shouldn't it? Or as a star or cut in to animal shapes.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

A pizza cut into 12 triangle slices would be silly I think. The centre would be cut so thin it would probably stay in the box.

1/12 as a square should be the same as 1/12 as a triangle shouldn't it? Or as a star or cut in to animal shapes.

It is nearly impossible to cut a round pizza into squares that are all the same size.