Rest Days??

Options
alyxls
alyxls Posts: 29 Member
I've lost around 91 pounds with logging my nutritional intake and making better choices. 50-some since joining MFP.

Generally exercise has been my downfall and I could give you 100000 excuses why, but none of them matter. Recently I've started and exercise routine (TurboFire) with strength training every other day.

My question is this: do you NEED to take rest days?

My rest days turn into rest weeks and I seem to do better if I stick with it on a daily basis. I'm fairly active with my job, I'm a nurse so I spend 12 hrs a day walking, running, and lifting, but my at work activity is not enough to offset the need to workout.

I was hoping that there was someone else who could point me in the right direction with this.

Thanks so much!
Alyx

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    "Rest days" in the sense of sit on your butt on the couch and mainline Netflix all day? Ehhh...probably not necessary unless you are pushing yourself really, REALLY hard on your other days. "Rest days" in the sense of recovery, still moving around, but maybe doing something a little different? Yeah, they are a good idea for mental as well as physical reasons.

For one thing, switching up what you do--so, one day a week go out for a walk, take a yoga class, hit up the pool--helps prevent overuse injuries. It can also help keep you from burning out mentally on always doing the same thing.

Physiologically, it depends on your goals. Bodies don't actually get stronger or faster *during* a workout; they do in the rebuilding that comes from recovery. So if you're trying to get in better cardio or strength shape (like how you don't lift every day), then "down days" are a really good idea. If you just want to burn calories, and you're not pushing yourself to the brink--in which case your body will eventually throw a tantrum and MAKE you rest--you're probably okay doing as you want.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    After awhile working out every day it will catch up with you it did me then you learn to take a rest day. That doesn't mean rest on sofa but just don't work your muscles. Let them have a break that's all
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you don't incorporate rest days you will get tired out very quickly. I used to train 6 days a week which was fine in a surplus but as soon as I went into a calorie deficit on my first cut I burnt out very quickly. My body couldn't keep up with it. Now I have two rest days a week and I've not had the same problem since!

Cool name btw XD
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    yes rest days are important! take one day off and enjoy it. it doesn't have to be a do nothing type of rest day; active recovery is also good ie. hikes, walks, gardening etc.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Depends...I used to go to the gym and walk on the treadmill on rest days. I don't think this negatively impacted my strength training at the beginning of my program. However, I've gotten to the point that the weight is heavy enough that I do need a real rest day. I think it depends on your goals too. If you're still trying to lose fat, then you might want to continue some light cardio on rest days. If your goal is strength, it might be better to take a "real" rest day.
  • alyxls
    alyxls Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!!
  • tloving3916
    tloving3916 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Man, rest days suck. I like eating some of those exercise calories.
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I enjoy taking rest days and think they are important. I'll still do various activities on a rest day to stay active though. Otherwise, my rest days may turn into rest weeks like you were saying.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Rest days for me include yoga and a walk, easy pilates, or a very slow ride on the bike. I understand the mentality of not wanting those days off to turn into weeks, months, etc. If you try to do something very limited, it will still give you the benefit of the rest day without breaking the mindset.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Considering TurboFire has one rest day per week scheduled into it, I'd suggest following the schedule.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Active rest day. usually a Sunday for me. As much house work and cooking I do on Sunday, its an active rest day. I used to hate rest days in the beginning. Now I'm counting down lol.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    There's a saying: There's no such thing as over-training, only under-recovery.

Your muscles need time to recuperate between sessions in order to repair themselves and grow stronger/bigger. In addition, recovery time helps with the mental aspect of working out, and your CNS. Rest and recovery are actually really important aspects of strength training.

I'm unfamiliar with TurboFire, but as someone above suggested, it has a rest day built into it, so just stick to the schedule. You should be fine.