protein shakes?

Options
Hi I am new to losing weight so far I am 39 lbs down and alot more to go. However my question is this I definitely don't want to bulk but on my 7 days healthy eating plan that I am using it says protien shakes for a snack and at times a meal replacement. Now my questions are this will thwy make me bulk up and which ones r the best for losing weight I bought a whey protein powder but I am still unsure. Any help would be greatly appreciates Tia.

Replies

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't add bulk. Too many calories add bulk.

protein is a very, very important macronutrient when using weight loss.

• Forensi
    Forensi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say you will bulk up just from having protein shakes alone. Protein helps repair damaged muscles (along with other things) from lifting weights, so if you're not lifting weights you shouldn't bulk up. I do the same thing as you (using protein as a snack) and have no issues. I think it's great because it helps me feel full for longer. Just make sure you're getting enough fiber because too much protein can cause constipation.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    my3fruits wrote: »
    Hi I am new to losing weight so far I am 39 lbs down and alot more to go. However my question is this I definitely don't want to bulk but on my 7 days healthy eating plan that I am using it says protien shakes for a snack and at times a meal replacement. Now my questions are this will thwy make me bulk up and which ones r the best for losing weight I bought a whey protein powder but I am still unsure. Any help would be greatly appreciates Tia.

Protien shake aren't a tool for losing weight. I use them to hit my protien goal.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 39 lb. loss! A protein shake is to help you meet your protein macros it you have trouble meeting them from food. Also, keeping your protein level high helps you preserve muscle when you're losing weight. However, no protein shake will make you lose weight. They have calories just like anything else and have to be tracked just like all your other foods. A scoop of protein powder can be anywhere from 60 to 120 calories; and most people mix it with milk, which is another 100 or so calories. I'm small and eating close to 1200, so I don't have them often because they are fairly high in calories and they don't make me feel full the way food does. I prefer to get my protein from food rather than a shake. I reserve the shake for a day when I won't eat lunch until late, for example, but I don't consume them very often.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    More protein in my diet keeps me feeling full longer and I have trouble getting it from food alone so I do sometimes use protein powder. I get unflavored whey protein and make my own smoothies. I do a combination of fruit, fresh or diced and frozen, and liquid whether it's water almond milk, regular milk, or coconut water. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of cacao powder too, or whatever else inspires me at the moment. Adding the fruit helps with the fiber. They are pretty high in calories though, so I find it works better as a replacement for breakfast or lunch, or on a day when I've worked out alot.
  • Mistyfied_MD
    Mistyfied_MD Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Unless you're lifting heavy weights or eating too many calories, you're not going to bulk up. Protein shakes are a quick and easy way to gain calories and nutrients, and protein is very important in a normal daily diet. I rely on them to help me meet my nutritional goals on a fairly regular basis. Not daily, but often enough to keep a stock of various types on hand, so that I have a selection depending on my calorie and macro needs.
  • my3fruits
    my3fruits Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys a ton for taking the time to answer some of my questions I really appreciate it. I do think that is what I will end up doing a shake for a meal if I know im running late or the kids are just not having anything but spaghetti for dinner lol. That way I can keep my metabolism up amd my calories down at least lower than spaghetti would lol. Thank you Rosebett I feel so much better and cant wait to keep moving.
  • snowdevilgirl
    snowdevilgirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been usung body fortress. The chocolate peanut butter is 140-170/scoop. There are slightly different versions. Rather than mix it with milk, I mix it in my morning coffee. That way I don't need cream or sugar in my coffee either. I'm down 19lbs with 15lb to go. I've been doing a slow but consistent loss because I'm going for a lifestyle change not just a weight change. Good luck. I don't know if mixing it with hot does anything strange but so far I really like it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is good. I use EAS Lean 15 because it's 100 calories a serving and it is reasonably priced.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I drink one for breakfast on the way to work (Fitness Labs 6-Protein blend in chocolate) blended with powdered PB. Yummy! I drink different one when I lift and after I run (isopure strawberries and cream). I also have hemp protein for when I get a hankering for a smoothie.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You're a woman. You can't bulk up. Well, unless you shoot yourself up with testosterone.
  • jellopudncup
    jellopudncup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Protein preserves the muscle and because it does that it helps keep you toned if you lose weight fast. Now how much you should eat i dont know. I use plant based protein shake powders ....
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking a premixed shake. I found it in my groctry store. They aren't too bad. I've had much worse. aozgdfq6byxh.jpg
    ghig8seflqq6.jpg
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You can use protein shakes as a snack on the go. I wouldn't suggest them as a meal, because they don't tend to be filling or satisfying enough, in my opinion, for a whole meal. They won't cause you to bulk up as long as you go for a lower calorie option and you are still eating at a deficit for the day (burning off more calories than you take in). Also, unless you are weight lifting, you won't bulk up! I have a recipe I use to make a protein shake that is only 120 calories with the protein powder I use. I use Quest vanilla shake protein powder in mine. It tastes so good! Nothing like those gritty protein shakes. It's a cake batter flavored one, and it seriously tastes like licking the bowl after you make a cake mix! It has cottage cheese, which sounds odd, but it gives it an amazing, creamy milkshake-like consistency! Here is the recipe:

-1/2 cup cottage cheese (I use fat free, so it's only 80 calories for a serving)
    - 1 Tbsp. Sugar Free vanilla instant pudding mix
    - 1 Tbsp. Quest vanilla shake protein powder (www.questnutrition.com or available at GNC)
    - 5 tsps. Butter extract (in the cooking aisle by vanilla extract etc.)
    - 1/2- 1 cup water (I usually use about 1/2 cup because I like mine thicker)
    - 5-10 ice cubes
    - 2-3 packets of Truvia zero calorie natural sweetener

Just throw it all in a blender and blend to the consistency you like! It's AMAZING!
  • my3fruits
    Options
    You can use protein shakes as a snack on the go. I wouldn't suggest them as a meal, because they don't tend to be filling or satisfying enough, in my opinion, for a whole meal. They won't cause you to bulk up as long as you go for a lower calorie option and you are still eating at a deficit for the day (burning off more calories than you take in). Also, unless you are weight lifting, you won't bulk up! I have a recipe I use to make a protein shake that is only 120 calories with the protein powder I use. I use Quest vanilla shake protein powder in mine. It tastes so good! Nothing like those gritty protein shakes. It's a cake batter flavored one, and it seriously tastes like licking the bowl after you make a cake mix! It has cottage cheese, which sounds odd, but it gives it an amazing, creamy milkshake-like consistency! Here is the recipe:

-1/2 cup cottage cheese (I use fat free, so it's only 80 calories for a serving)
    - 1 Tbsp. Quest vanilla shake protein powder (www.questnutrition.com or available at GNC)
    - 5-10 ice cubes

Just throw it all in a blender and blend to the consistency you like! It's AMAZING!

- 5-10 ice cubes

• my3fruits
    Options
    Oh my goodness that sounds good I am definitely going to have to try it . You all so much for taking the time to reply I truly appreciate it
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein powder and make shakes especially for breakfast on the go. There's a lot of versatility with them and you can satiate some cravings but get healthy benefits out of them. Some of my chocolate protein shakes taste like a milkshake but without all the sugar and stuff. You can even get protein bars. Protein is really good for weight loss all around so you want to make sure you get a lot of it. My protein shakes give me like 53 grams of protein by themselves which is over half my daily need right there. And I say avoid the already made protein drinks because you don't know what ingredients are in them and they can have a lot more sugar than you should need.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I often make a smoothie with protein powder in it for breakfast. It's filling enough to get me to lunch without snacking. Generally they're around 300 - 400 calories.

Typical ingredients would be a cup of almond or coconut milk, frozen fruit, a banana, protein powder, and ice cubes. I also make one with chocolate almond milk, banana, and peanut butter. (No protein powder if I'm using peanut butter.) Chocolate almond milk doesn't have that many calories, about 120 for a cup, and it makes suuuch a good smoothie.